Eat Dirt

Thread: Eat Dirt

North Vancouver
    Suzuki SV650, 2002

Eat Dirt

There's a good reason chimps eat dirt, researchers say

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2008 | 3:46 PM ET
    CBC News

Eating dirt helps chimps fight off malaria, researchers from the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle in Paris reported Wednesday.

Sabrina Krief and her colleagues had observed chimps eating soil (geophagy), a practice common among animals but usually discouraged by humans, where it has even been linked to mental-health issues, the researchers said in a release.
    Chimps eat dirt to boost the anti-malarial properties of certain plants, French researchers say.

But they suggested that geophagy can be explained in chimps as a way to enhance the health effect of certain plants, and concluded that may explain why it has continued through evolution.

The researchers took 14 samples of soil eaten by chimpanzees in Kibale National Park in Uganda. The animals had been seen sampling the dirt before or after eating certain plants, such as the leaves of Trichilia rubescens, which has been shown to have some anti-malarial properties.

The researchers took plant samples, too, and created a laboratory model to replicate the chimps' chewing, gastric and intestinal processes.

The soil and leaves were analyzed, both separately and as a mixture.
    Continue Article

"Before being mixed with the soil, the digested leaves showed no significant anti-malarial activity. However, when the leaves and soil were digested together, the mixture had clear anti-malarial properties," the release said.

They also noted that the soil they tested was very similar to the soil used by a local healer to treat diarrhea. Both contained the clay mineral kaolinite, used in diarrhea medicines.

The study is to be published online this week in the journal Naturwissenschaften.
    Current:Suzuki SV650, 2002
    Previous:69 Triumph 500, 71 BSA lightning, 73 Triumph Trident, Yamaha DT125, 85 Honda Nighthawk, 88 Harley Sportster, CB 900...hmm I think thats it

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    i've been doing this for years...
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

That new bike smell Array mondocycle's Avatar
    "Eating dirt helps chimps fight off malaria."
    I went to the walk in clinic to get a rash checked out recently. I told the doc I found out I may have been exposed to a contagious new immigrant. He looks at it and I hear him say "YOU HAVE MALARIA."
    Before my bowels empty completely he adds "It's a heat rash, M-I-L-A-R-I-A."
    Ha Ha, funny guy.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

You like popsicles? Array Hogie's Avatar
    T-Saw, BC
    The elephants that live in the Congo eat clay, which I think could be considered dirt.

Registered User Array
    I stopped reading right after "French researchers........"