BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

track locations

851 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  redlightklondik 
#1 ·
Ideally, I'd like to stop riding dangerously on the street and take up track riding. However, being from the interior, there doesn't seem to be much for tracks. Where do you guys go? A friend of mine packs up and goes to Spokane Speedway every couple of months.

Any talk of safe new tracks being built in BC?

thanks
rlk

#3 ·
I heard that spokane was not going to be used this year- there was a petition going around near the end of last season trying to prevent such a thing.

Anyone know for sure what the end result was?

Mission is still going and will have a new layout for the 2008 season. Other then that I believe Seattle and Portland are the closest.

#4 ·
As far as I've heard Spokane is closed to racing, in order to be sold. They might turn the land into a jail of all things. Depends on who buys it and for what.
Active Mountain in Merrit was to be a new paved track, but I'm not holding my breath their website hasn't had much change since, 2005.
http://www.activemountainraceway.com/home.html

#6 ·
WHEN, not IF I win the lotto, I shall invest in many acres of lush BC forest landscape near the ocean, on which I will build the most spectacular race circuit this side of Nebraska. There will be a clubhouse with big chested women and lots of imported beer, and garages/shops to mend a broken body and bike. My mansion will oversee the activities and from which I will watch you all, wearing nothing but gold chains and a fanny pack holding binoculars. You will all race there. Everyone will race there.

so ends this tale of the future.

But seriously...why hasn't someone built a decent racetrack in BC.

#8 ·
Since noise and such are obvious issues I think you will need a pretty large section of land to start such a project. So lets say you find a place that will let you build up past Kamloops or something what does 4km of tarmac cost these days when it is just a road upgrade? Millions, lots of em too. So starting from scratch would be an increadable cost. Since you had to buy so far out the money to be made from it wouldnt ever pay it off.

That may not be it but that is how my wee little world view sees things.

That being said.You do what you dream and I'll be there. :)

#9 ·
Oh for sure I'd need at least 50 million...and it wouldn't be a money earner. Fun is what the money would buy. I'd probably go broke after 2 or 3 years buying F430's and Ducati's to rip around on...I'd disappear to the realms of forgotten lords and knights....but hopefully the track would remain.

Seriously ICBC should build us all a track so we can safely go get it out of our systems.

#10 ·
ICBC should build us a Nurburgring style track: Open to the public, you pay a daily fee for use and make it really, really long.

ICBC f*cking owes us.

...and then I put down the opium pipe and returned to reality.

#11 ·
Like Redlightklondik says its real hard to get to a track from the interior. It's easy for people to say fast riding belongs only on the track when you have one nearby. Like in any activity practice makes better. We have to travel 400 miles from the Kootenays( since Spokane is out of bounds for some of us ) to Calgary or the lower mainland. And then the required bike prep is another thing once you get there. But alas, I have heard some guys call the road from Kaslo to New Denver a race track. But I have a better one. At 5 a.m. its all but abandon, except for the deer. 12 km of wide open, smooth with everything from straightaways, long sweepers and a sharp 90 degree turn. I saw a cop there once just as I was about to start a run. I waved a big hello to him and then once he rounded a corner and went out of site I turned around and followed him to make sure he was leaving "Kootenay Raceway Park". Then I went back to praticing.

#12 ·
From the interior there's also Edmonton. The biggest problem is that you've got longer distances regardless of which way you go.

Gooe on you for recognizing that if you can't get it out of your system any other way then the track is the right place to go.

Expense wise it's almost a wash unless you take it all super seriously. On the road there's the cost of insurance and tires vs track fees and tires on the track. Especially if you're also paying with a no or limited discount from all the tickets you'll soon have from riding on the street that way. Km to km it's almost the same as long as you keep the need to win out of the equation.

#13 ·
I would say just get a new husky 510 TXC and go hardcore off road , spend your time and money on tires and changing them .The dirt to me is alot more fun because of the freedoom and no cops, love the track too but can be a bit involved , it's cool how things go 360 as i started in the dirt ,all good .End of this year i'm getting a montesa 4RT and that will be a buzz. P.S. i love my husky.

#14 ·
I would say just get a new husky 510 TXC and go hardcore off road , spend your time and money on tires and changing them .The dirt to me is alot more fun because of the freedoom and no cops, love the track too but can be a bit involved , it's cool how things go 360 as i started in the dirt ,all good .End of this year i'm getting a montesa 4RT and that will be a buzz. P.S. i love my husky.
Being in kamloops, i should be a dirtbiker, since we've got some of the best riding in the world around here. I guess I'm kinda like a dirtbiker that lives next to the best road track around... location location location.

If that raceway in Merritt ever happened, I'd sell my bike in a flash and find a nice smaller track bike to abuse.

It starts with a demand, so don't stop asking for it!

rlk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.