BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Scammers in the bikes for sale Forum?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  bafflebrain 
#1 ·
Some bikes for sale in the bikes forum seem too cheap to be true. For example: 07 CBR600RR for $7500. Not to mention some other 07 bikes that are also being sold for this magic number ($7500). Could this be a scam? What have members found out

#4 ·
I don't know if this belongs in the technical section of bcsb. But when buying used, what are some easy, spot check things you can do to detect if a bike has been rebuilt or not. I know there are no sure fire ways of being absolutely certain unless you break the bike totally apart; but for the more technically saavy out there, please let us in on your wisdom.

#8 ·
It'll say "Rebuilt: YES" or "Title: Rebuilt" or something like that on the registration. That's if it was actually bought back from ICBC after a crash, and then rebuilt. If you're trying to figure out if a seller is hiding a crash & repair job, that's a bit more difficult. The bike may just not feel straight...like the sub-frame is off a little, or the bars sit funny from twisted forks, or...??? Another giveaway is solid painted fairings with no factory decals. OEM plastic and stickers are expensive, so the seller may have just fixed the scratched fairings are repainted them. It could also be a custom job just because the owner didn't like the look of the stock paint scheme...but it's something that should at least set off some warning bells for you to look into it further.

#5 ·
in terms of being a rebuilt, you just have to run the VIN through a check.. if it's a legal rebuild, it will have to be registered as such.

in terms of what to look for mechanically, well, i'll leave that to the mechanics :p

#6 ·
Well, if you google "motorcycle buying tips" the first hit is something like this

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

I didn't evaluate the site, but it's not like the info isn't readily available.

ICBC has some handy features on their website to allow searches of VINs for Liens and status IIRC.

Bjorn

P.S.: If you contact the seller and really find a scam, please use the "report" feature to notify the moderators with the details. As always though, buyer beware :)

#11 ·
For a bike less than a year old, with only 4000kms that has an msrp of $12,500 to be written off the assessed damage to it would have to be at least $11,000 +. An older bike that's a rebuilt might be fine, once the cost to just replace the fairings gets close enough to the resale value of the bike.

#12 ·
For a bike less than a year old, with only 4000kms that has an msrp of $12,500 to be written off the assessed damage to it would have to be at least $11,000 +.
It is my understanding that salvage value also comes into the equation.

When my K1200LT was written off the estimated repairs were about 17K and the bike had a value of 27K Salvage was 6K so it was a write off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.