ICBC sets fee at $25 to insure additional drivers

Thread: ICBC sets fee at $25 to insure additional drivers

Bike
    yamaha

ICBC sets fee at $25 to insure additional drivers

VANCOUVER (CBC) - B.C. drivers will be required to pay an extra $25 on their car insurance beginning May 1, if their family members other than the registered owner also drive the vehicle.

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) said it's introducing the new fee because 22 per cent of its claims involve drivers who are not the registered owner or principal operator.

"If you have one vehicle in the household that a number of people share, even one other person who shares, if that person has less experience than you or a worse driving record, then yes, there will be an additional $25 premium," ICBC spokesman Doug McClelland said Tuesday.

ICBC calls the new surcharge the "other operator premium," which is a flat fee regardless of the number of drivers sharing the vehicle in the household.

Opposition New Democrats MLA Harry Lali calls the new fee a "cash grab."

"It's unnecessary. It's basically ICBC using ... the government using ICBC as a cash cow to get money out of the pockets of people," Lali said Tuesday.

ICBC estimates that the new premium will affect between 10 to 20 per cent of the three million insured drivers in B.C.

The new fee will add about $7 million to $14 million in new revenue for ICBC, which the Crown corporation said will help safe drivers.

"This, like all changes we make in the rates we set, they're meant to be revenue neutral," McClelland said. "Any additional revenue we bring in for this will be directly translated into savings for customers who are not affected."

But Lali disagreed.

"No matter how ICBC or the Liberals try to package this as being revenue neutral, it is nothing but a shameless tax grab - that's all it is."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/08012...couver_bc_icbc

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    "The new fee will add about $7 million to $14 million in new revenue for ICBC, which the Crown corporation said will help safe drivers."

it'll "help safe drivers" ?? wtf? riiiiight.

Bring on the sun Array Bandit_Ryder's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes
    ridiculous,

so say someone else only drives my vehicle say 2 or 3 times a year max on those rare drunken occasions getting home safe, does that mean i have to pay this fee to make sure I would be insured in that scenario?
    R.I.P. Danimal

Bike
    Damn,
    Do I put Rudolph as an additional driver since I take Operation Red nose during the holidays and I really don't know who will be driving my truck when I'm shit faced.

And shepherds we shall be Array miraclejoe's Avatar
    Bike
    Gixxer V2.1
    Hmmmm, I think it's probably more for members of the household. I would think that occasional drivers would be still covered without a fee.
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Fascist oppressor.

Bike
    1990 kan-o-tuna
    It states that: if their family members other than the registered owner also drive the vehicle.
    So if your friend drives you drunk once in a year this does not seem to apply with the wording above.
    This is more like a dad or mom insure a car under their name and let kids drive it to save on insurance premium.

Bike
    None right now...
    Did we need *two* posts on this?

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=95974

They're levying a fee on people who are helping those with bad driving histories register their vehicle under someone else's name to get the better discounts.

The solution is to tie discounts to the principal operator of the vehicle, not the owner. Does anyone know why they can't do that?
    ---
    My Picasa Album

Above the 49th Parallel and completely beyond Hope
    Bike
    Shuttleworth Snap
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    The solution is to tie discounts to the principal operator of the vehicle, not the owner. Does anyone know why they can't do that?
    This is a government run monopoly we're talking about

Bike
    yamaha
    yeah, i just realized this is a dup. didnt read the other topic, close it if u want