BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Importing a 15+ yr old bike

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Catimann 
#1 ·
I have spent hours reading all sorts of threads on importing new or used bikes but nothing about bikes that meet the 15 year rule. Even the government web sites end up sending you in circles. :surrender

I hope to find someone who knows how and can point out some links. Any other help would be great.

I did find some bits here and there, such as: "All vehicles (except buses) that are over 15 years or older by the date of manufacture are exempt from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program. You must be able to prove the age of the vehicle to a Customs officer. "
or from: http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/member.php?u=9239 "15 years or older to get em in the country , then they have to be "up " to canadian specs ,to be eligible to be ridden on the roads , basically if the turn signals are too close together its a no go ,i got a 94 honda TL125 waiting for me back in japan. Damn transport canada."

So my plan is to import a 93 Bimota DB 2 and then enjoy life. I just need to figure out how.

Thanks for your help! :cheers

#2 ·
I brought in 3 old bikes and bypassed all the usual crap. I showed up unannounced at Canada Customs, paid some GST and went straight to my ICBC agent and registered them. The agent does need to see the bike though.

#5 ·
#7 ·
I think that, as mentioned above, you could voluntarily do the US customs pre-export clearance. I suspect that is the purpose of that procedure. There's really not much to it and may give you some more peace of mind.

#8 ·
I bought two grey import bikes (88 CBR250R and 89 RGV250) and both bikes are bone stock Japan domestic market versions. They even have the same left pointing headlights and no extra reflectors. The Biggie seems to be able to proove the exact month/year of manufacture, not the model year.

Both bikes were imported by others so the precise methods are unknown. They both sport a BC VIN which was attached by the importers.

#9 ·
as mentioned above, i do believe you want to do a proper US export.. even if Canada does not require it..

my friend bought an 86 supra from florida a couple years ago... just imported, no waiting, paid GST at border then registered here..

he does agree he'll prolly never want do drive it down south, i'm sure it'll be a big head ache... shoulda thought about that sooner, oh well..

#11 ·
I went for a drive to Wa state today and stopped at all the places to ask and get copies of forms and and and.

I also got replies today from other places about this.

To do this right as a Canadian you have to export the bike from the US and then import it to Canada.

So in Oregon I got this reply:
"Thank you for contacting AAA Oregon/ Idaho for information. You can call the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles toll-free at 1-888-289-2818 or(toll) 1-503-945-5000, and they should be able to provide the title history on any motorcycle registered in Oregon, including any lien information, along as the lien holder, if any, is not a private party. The DMV can also verify if the title is salvaged or if the motorcycle was damaged at some point, and whether it has been reported as stolen. You can obtain a vehicle history report from the DMV on-line here: " http://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history.php

Oregon charges for the report (about $20 for one) but it seems to be a good one. The DMV also has a VIN explanation sheet to detail all the info about the VIN.

Washington has small DMV kiosks in many places and you can just walk up and ask them to check the VIN no. to see if it is stolen. They have a web site to track this down. http://www.dol.wa.gov/ Look under the Boat and vehicle registration section.

At the border you have to leave the vehicle in the US for 3 days until US customs do their check. Once you have ownership and title you can fax the forms ahead and have it cleared as you drive up. You probably need 4 days as they need 3 full days and will get it to you after that. Pict's are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14723425@N04/2243849282/ & http://www.flickr.com/photos/14723425@N04/2243848770/

When you get the OK go to Canada customs and With the Clear Title and Bill of Sale in hand they will fill out the rest of the Form 1 and take your 5% GST. I think that is it but eh you can take it home and figure out the rest later.

#13 · (Edited)
The next step took several months and some stupid searching.

I was told that I needed an inspection by one Insurance agent. (I spent several months making sure the bike would pass.) It is great the bike is working perfectly but I found out "Motorcycles" do not need inspections.
See: http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/MotorVehicle/26_58/26_58_07.htm Here look at "Part 4 — Inspection of Motor Vehicles Imported into British Columbia" The number is 25.23 onward and the schedule is at the bottom of the web page.
Once you know this you can go to a good insurance agent (I found Atwal's in Surrey 604 930-4141 did a great job.) I told them and showed them the motor vehicle act and there was no problem.
The second problem I was told I would have was that the bike would need a BC VIN. These are the VIN's put on after an application is made and ICBC generates one. Only an inspection place (I know of two, Richmond motorsports and Burnaby Kawasaki) is allowed to install one of these small blue S/N's. In the case of both bikes I brought in they DID NOT need this BC VIN. Both bikes were more or less orriginal and had orriginal frame VIN's. So after a look at the bike (yes you need to take it there, the ins. co.) they (Atwal's) contacted ICBC and I had a registered, insured bike. I even had the same thing for the 93 Bimota I brought in.
One more thing, there seems to be a new regulation about soil tests for bikes (vehicles) imported from other than North America. I heard you need a certificate of steam cleaning now or they may just want to come and do a soil test. If soil is found (I don't know how much) customs will make you pay to have it uncrated, transported on a tarped vehicle, have it steam cleaned and returned before you can get possession. For the Bimota the customs guy wanted to check for soil at first and then I told him how I had cleaned the bike (I went over to get it so I washed it before packing it). Even said I could show him pictures, which I had on my lap top (very useful tool). He (customs) said it was ok. Also see the customs people in Burnaby near Lougheed and Lake City way.
Re steam cleaning, well I met a guy (in oct 09) who imported a landrover from Africa and he said it was very muddy. Customs inspected it and stated he needed it cleaned. They made arrangements to take it to a site in Richmond and this was done by driving the Rover, in the rain, and having it cleaned. He asked the guys doing the job and they said there was no special place to the run off to go to.
Hope this helps someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.