BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Sportsman bike setup

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TeeTee 
#1 · (Edited)
Do the brake pads last the hole day with the stock MX brakes? Do the front brakes end up fading as the race goes on?

Is there another class other than sportsman you can enter with this setup?

What tires (and sizes) have been the common choice for the sportsman setup? I'm looking at using my 02 KX250 but I'd assume all bikes have pretty similar needs.

#2 ·
Well I know from street riding that I use to have the front fade to the point of little or no front brake at all..

And as for the race questions I try not to do that cause on the track you can get realy hut bad so I stay on the street ..

#4 ·
I don't know Trev, how deep are you going to take it into the turns? I would think that your brakes would last the day but I would bring another set just in case.
I am sure that we can find more than one class for you to race.
I am not sure what the hot set up is for tires in sportsman. Maybe talk to Aaron as he had something going on his RM125 last year.
I can't wait to see you out there, it will be a blast.

#9 ·
Sportsman is just a bunch of folks looking for fun. No high zoot competition where anyone is going to push a bad situation for a cheap trophy.

I think you'll be fine with the stock pads and no, they won't spontaniously combust or anything. I've run my DR350 out there for giggles and it was fine. Remember that with the dirt rotor you need to start braking earlier than the other guys anyhow since you just can't pull the lever hard enough anyway regardless of the pad and rotor temperature. I even use my rear brake on that bike as well.

I've had excellent results with an Avon Roadrunner on the front and an Avon Super Venom on the rear. They stick really nicely and come in the more narrow sizes to properly fit the rims.

See you out there next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.