BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Sport Cruiser DN-01

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Maverik 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Looks pretty cool! I wonder how it handles?
But given it's a Honda, it's probably remarkable in every aspect. :D

#8 ·
LOL you're so spoiled by today's supersport bikes. While this is definitely not a track bike, it should be enough to cruise around most roads. I'm curious though how this bike turns and stock supensions are like.

#10 ·
except no one with an large-class japanese license will buy anything smaller than 900cc

I think this bike is aimed at an ageing market.... a cushy automatic continuously variable transmission...

On the bright side, changing the laws a couple years ago to actually make it legal to 2up on the highways will help a bit to sell these bikes.

#12 ·
no.

seems like a silly way to combat bosozoku (motorcycle gangs) though... through pointless legislation... instead of actually policing effectively...
punish average people while doing nothing to fix actual problems.

But of course, living in Japan gives me new respect for the police in Canada...

Still, if I had done the upgrade test to the Big Class license when I first converted my Canadian bike license, then I might consider the DN-01 (except that I don't like the foot position being forward of your ass position).

#14 ·
There have been shootings almost every month here, I don't think anybody got arrested yet....police here isn't much different here other side of the pond.

You didn't have full class 6 when you moved there?

#15 ·
shootings are really rare... but the police here are general useful for 1 thing; that is giving directions to people who are lost or tourists...
if you have a real problem, they will not help you.
they have a high conviction rate, not because they are successful but because of their system so there are a lot of "forced" confessions.
plus the prison system is really brutal.

now, I really appreciate all the hard work that a large number of officers do in canada.

yeah, of course I had my class 6 license! It's really not hard to get your full license in BC... but that ONLY converts to a middle class license in Japan.

#16 ·
It seems like you've got so much bad experience with cops there, too bad for you:laughing

Hard work that officers doing in Canada? Examples?

I'm very surpised to learn that Japan doesn't give you 'full' class 6, even if you brought BC 'full' class 6. Sound like you move with a full truck and bus license, but they give you only bus license. 'Middle class' is up to 400cc?

If I lived in Japan, though, I don't think I'd bother taking full class 6 if they take it away from me. There are rarely long stretches of straight roads, but full of tight twisties, 400cc is just fun enough. I went to ride Mission backroads today, it reminded me of roads in Japan.

#17 ·
If I lived in Japan, though, I don't think I'd bother taking full class 6 if they take it away from me.
except that I am FROM Vancouver and was riding in Canada before I ever moved to Japan so there's no reason I wouldn't get my full class 6... besides, i LIKE riding at night :p

Anyways, Japan doesn't have long straight roads at high speeds that wouldn't bore someone to death... for the most part big engines are needed.

You can do a conversion upgrade test to the 400+cc license, but I didn't want to go through all that hassle... have to jump through those hoops when they already make you bend over just to get your license converted in the first place.

Sorry, this is quite off topic, but with a regular class 5+6 from BC, you can get it converted to a Full Passenger Vehicle License and a Middle Class Bike License.

If one doesn't have their full class 6 BC license, they would likely only give them their small bike license (125cc)

On the other hand, there are a lot more bikes in the 50cc , 125cc, 250/400cc categories (and of course liter bikes and up for the over 400cc category)

Your 2up riding may be initially restricted either in city or on expressways though.

But it's not like you don't have the opportunity to upgrade.

At any rate, enjoy the Mission backroads :)

Like Vancouver, it's a hassle just to get out of the city to go riding (unless you wanna pay out the nose to use the expressways)

#18 · (Edited)
You can do a conversion upgrade test to the 400+cc license, but I didn't want to go through all that hassle... have to jump through those hoops when they already make you bend over just to get your license converted in the first place.

Sorry, this is quite off topic, but with a regular class 5+6 from BC, you can get it converted to a Full Passenger Vehicle License and a Middle Class Bike License.

At any rate, enjoy the Mission backroads :)

Like Vancouver, it's a hassle just to get out of the city to go riding (unless you wanna pay out the nose to use the expressways)
It's ok to go off topic, DN-01 vid is now an old news.

I've got my first class 5 license in USA, it was like a joke (read ez). Then I transfered it to Japanese 'ordinary' license 16 years ago, all I need was a transalation from JAF (equivalent to BCAA). It was a breeze, no written test, no road test, just vision test. No automatic transmission restriction either, though I've never driven standard at that time. It's a story of good ol day.

If I lived in Japan, I'd most likely go for a SM, I've heard it's quite popular there? If you live in Osaka, there are great roads in Wakayama, Kyoto, etc.

#19 ·
Yeah, it just sucks to be in the city when you wanna ride since it either takes a long time to get out (non-expressway) or it's really expensive (expressway)

I'm looking forward to spending some time down in wakayama... ideally some trips to shikoku as well.... just got my touring mapple... now trying to learn how to read it effectively... tempted to get a navigation system or something since the ever changing highway numbers despite going straight throw me off.

as for licenses:
Things have changed a bit... but it's still easy to get your license converted... it's more of an exercise in jumping through hoops and waiting around a lot.. .than an exercise in bending over.

#20 ·
I've almost forgotten their probably most expensive toll roads in the world. I seldom used it anyway when I was there, you soon learn quick free roads in your area. For long distance, I used to travel between late night and early morning so as a lot of truck drivers. It's not fun at all to ride long distance at night though, I did it because I was driving a car.

Now I see why so many bikers go ride in Hokkaido, many of them get there by ferry. Once you get there, there are not too many toll roads, and many of them are wide open roads.

That's good to know that the converting process is still easy, since my Japanese license has expired many years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.