Boots: Icon Field Armor - good middle ground?

Thread: Boots: Icon Field Armor - good middle ground?

Bike
    2007 GSX-R 1000

Boots: Icon Field Armor - good middle ground?

Hey folks.

I just tried on a pair of Icon Field Armor boots at Holeshot, and I was pretty impressed at the comfort level. I have a wide foot, so restrictive racing boots can be cramped. I have heard that they may be a bit thick and readjusting the shifter may be required...

I'm considering buying these, as they seem like a great middle ground between a full on racing boot and the skate shoes I wear now. Anyone have experience with these and attest to if they are worth the $120?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

GPFairings.com Array twoforfree's Avatar
    Bike
    nothing
    i used their older model before... very durable... but its kinda heavy, don't really give you warmth on the highway or cold weather.. don't know about rain cause never had them in the rain...

yeah they are thick compared to racing boots or runners... so shifting is a little harder but will get use to it as you use them... protection wise... never fell down on it so don't know...

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!

Thumbs up

Any leather boot is better than a skate shoe, so ya, 2 thumbs up!

Bike
    93 kaw
    I have a pair of the Field Armor (high style), they are my 'back-up spares', for a reason.

First, they take forever to break in. And, even with the settings loose and I am female with very small ankles and feet (and I am not being wimpy as I am a snowboarder I know hard boots) - they leave actual bruises around my ankles if I have to walk in them more than a few feet

Also, they do have a very thick sole and toebox. I find it really irritating because I have to really carefully slide my foot in to shift up from 1st into 2nd after a light...and same when yanking it out to downshift. Also, they are really clunky and don't provide good shift feel. I have a big bike and tiny sz 6 feet so I can't imaging what a pain it would be for those with a 600 and man-size feet.

Sucks cause I love their styling. Good points tho, they are well vented and the are AWESOME at a stop, lol. No seriously, they grip like mad and they are super stiff providing alot of redlight support. haha.

I am trying the Stylmartin Carbon's when they come in for me this week, I'll post up how they are I am really excited for them they have a thin sole, kevlar and carbon and great Italian leather.
    Last edited by Fawn; 03-17-2008 at 09:47 AM.
    I don't do PM's

Bike
    no dice!
    I have a pair in black and I must say they're pretty good. I find them quite comfortable as I too have wide feet. The only thing is that they are quite heavy and chunky. also, they don't give the same protection as racing boots 'cause most of the racing boots go up quite higher than your ankles. These boots only go just a little above your ankles.

But that being said, they are good for what its cost... and like CHIA have said, any leather boots are better than any skate shoes, runners, etc...

Bike
    no dice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawn View Post
    they leave actual bruises around my ankles if I have to walk in them more than a few feet
    I too get bruises when I walk with them, so I waddle when I walk lol

Bike
    2007 GSX-R 1000
    Thanks for the tips..

Any decent alternatives in the similar price range? I'm not using these for track racing, and am not tucking leathers into them, but I do occasionally do some serious canyon carving, and know that skate shoes are just going to fly off even in a light lowside.

Basically, styling is important to me, (and the field armors area definite check there,) and comfort is a big piece to, as usually I'll be in them for 6-8 hours on summer days.

I'm not sold on a "low" boot, as I don't think those really give any protection (and are still probably likely to fly off in a serious accident)

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Have you considered these Joe Rocket's...Big Bang Boots....similar to the Icon, I think?

http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport...cle_boots.html

Better views/pics:

http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/685

Last edited by CHIA; 03-17-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Bike
    Big and slow
    For around town I use Magnum Tactical boots. They're leather, waterproof, light, and have oil resistant/shock proof soles. Many cops use them if they don't use standard issue. For fast out of town riding the race boots come out.
    Available at Dave's Surplus in New West.

http://www.magnumboots.com/magnum_06_main_tactical.html
    Flowbie- Mellowing with age...

Stolen from Atom:
    Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

Bike
    93 kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
    For around town I use Magnum Tactical boots.

Great idea, my BF uses them too, from here tho, $19!
    http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/pro...ear/Categories
    I don't do PM's

GSXR believer Array ice-blue-86's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 GSX-R 750
    I rode with the Icon Field Armour boots all last season and i really like them, you will have to adjust ur shifter, unless u do what i do and just use the side of the boot, cause the sole's lip is pretty big, to shift. took me a little while to get use to because the boots are really stiff, but i feel really confident that they'd have no problem saving my feet in a crash, plus the agressive look is a bonus.
    Stop swerving so i can pass you :)