What bike inspired you?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What bike inspired you?

2K9 ZX-6R

What bike inspired you?

Do you remember the first bike that inspired you to start riding? The first bike that made you stop and really make the decision to take on this hobby? And di you ever buy that first love?

In the late 1990's I caught some motorcycle racing and was blown away by the riders and machines. The Ducatis were doing very well with the 916, but that wasn't the bike. After work I would always stop in at Honda Center till one day there it was - The Honda VTR1000. I didn't realize the bike ever existed. I loved the idea of a sporting Vtwin and the sound was awesome. Yeah, there was the 916, but I knew that was out of reach as a minimum wage earner.

It was done, I decided to enroll in the BC Safety course to start riding. As a starter bike, I bought from Honda Center, a 1986 Yamaha SRX6 that I rode almost every sunny day. I still had my heart set on a VTR, but I still thought it was too fast for me. Then along came the Suzuki SV650S - smaller and cheaper, I bought one. Soon after, my lust for the VTR faded and bikes were getting lighter and faster. I don't know if I'll ever have the pleasure of owning a VTR.
    Your Anguish Sustains Me

2. Remove Advertisements

it was a 50cc dirt bike 20 years ago and have been hooked ever scince but for a good 10 years I would dream about having a ducati 996 my g/f at the time even bought be a hot wheels 916. I finally bought my dream last year a 998.
    Curent Ride
    08 Husky smr450
    kx 450f
    You are 100% Pure Awesome!

"Missing a few pieces!' Array Nine-and-a-half's Avatar
    FZR750r, Triumph Scrambler
    Honda Ascot. 1983 .............. bright red. I used to stand at the bus stop and just stare. Some times the owner would jump on for an early morning rip. 26 years later, I should buy one just because

Street:SV1000S Race:Ninja 250R, CBR600 F3, DRZ125
    would probably be the 1972 honda cl100 that sat in our basement for like 20 years after our dad stopped riding when we were born.. used to push it around, knock it over into the hot water tank.. etc, etc eventually I even crashed it into the house when I tried to get it running again.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 04-14-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies ...
    Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TwinBrosRacing <-click
    WMRC & PCMRC #19
    WMRC President

Registered User Array Fanny Bay R1's Avatar
    Fanny Bay
    06 Yamaha R1, 01 Dookie 996
    Man you guys are young!!!!!

'73 Yamaha RD350
    06 Yamaha R1 (50th Anniversary) - R1's forever!!
    Georgeous Ducati 996 (the only bike as pretty as my R1!!)

'04 gsxr
    96 green ninja

Does your chain hang low? Array
    I used to see a woman riding one of those black/blue/pink CBR600s in my neighbourhood. I liked the bike and the woman was hot. For some reason that started it for me.

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    lower mainland
    95 Zx6r
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

WMRC Past Prez three time Array NFG's Avatar
    Yamaha RD350LC Race Bike (Sold!)/ Yamaha XS1100 /YSR 50 Street and Race / Two 50cc Pocket Bikes / Honda Z50/ Yamaha BWS 50 (Sold!) /Yamaha MX100/ Yamaha YZ250/ Husqvarna 430 / a few projects in parts....
    Early 70's YZ 125. A buddy owned it and I got one ride on it. I crashed and he wouldn't let me have an other go. I bought my own bike a month later and waxed his ass shortly after that. Was hooked on dirt bikes and MX before getting my first street ride. That was 30 years ago and I still ride when ever I can......
    Stefan Medlicott
    NFG Racing

"I guarantee that it will start, and I guarantee that it
    will blow up. I cannot guarantee the time between those two events."

"....those who go for broke often get there...."

"Buy in Haste, Repent at Leisure."

That new bike smell Array mondocycle's Avatar
    First solo ride was on a broke down Hodaka Combat Wombat bumpstarted with no brakes.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    my front room
    somethin somethin somethin
    My uncles BSA and getting rides on it got me going. i was 5 so my grand pa bought me an almost new 1969 Honda 50 to start on then a 72 Yamaha YZ80 for a first dirtbike.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

K1200S Array
    Lower Mainland
    BMW K1200S
    1981 Gpz 550

1st name basis with Death Array Ghost's Avatar
    I'm the one in front of you.... ZIPPERLIPS!!!
    2014 BMW S1000RR in MF'n BLACK!!!
    I'd say the first bike that really inspired me... like where I had a poster of it, and hung on the wall, was the original Honda Interceptor!!!

I believe the 25th anniversary editions are out now!!!

Then, when I saw the movie FLED, I laid eyes on that masterpiece of a 916, and was never the same... someday I'm gonna find me a 998R!!!
    i'M a BcSb PaGe 11 RoCkStAr...
    '08 1098S in NERO, of CORSE!!!

Big Pumpkin
    Late 80's Yamaha TZR250 and the Kawi KR1-S 2-strokes. I'd still love to get my hands on either bike.

the north
    sportbike... pfffft!
    guess i'm the youngest to say the R1 first gen, loved that bike