Condensation Window Repair?

Thread: Condensation Window Repair?

Meet you on Sedna! Array MaverickPrince's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR

Question Condensation Window Repair?

Anyone know a local GVRD repair service that will come and repair home windows that aren't broken/cracked, but have condensation leaks in the double pane?

I think there's some magic that sucks out the air and seals it...

Costs? I'm assuming it's cheaper than replacing the whole window...

Any info, much appreciated, thanks.
    3... 2... 1... Blast off, baby!

Registered User Array
    Bike

Bike
    yup, there are quite a few around. There are some vids out on google that explain exactly how it's done. have quite a few to do myself. I heard it's not cheap, but certainly cheaper than replacing the window.

Bike
    Inbetween bikes now. Thanks for bringing up bad feelings.
    There is a technique that will work but if you don't do it right, you'll lose your window.

Basically it involves drilling a hole on the base of the outside pane in a upward angle. The whole is large enough to insert a thin tubing about 1 inch in length. This will allow the moisture out without letting any more in. Because of the angle of the hole and tube, it should have minimal affect on the insulation.

I saw this on some HGTV show a while ago.
    Life is an STD with no cure and 100% fatality rate.

Bike
    CBR
    In case any of you were interested in window replacement...

To update this thread... the extent of condensation and other (mysterious) factors may prevent this technique from being used... naturally, some more selfish outfits just want to motivate you to replace the window altogether (just or otherwise)...

Anyways, we did go with replacment route, with a company called "Extreme Glass" based out of Pitt Meadows... quote was in the mid $200 range including 2 hours labour... when the lone installer arrived (after waiting a week)... he got it done just under 1/2 hour. WTF? No complications on this job I guess.

Installer was a cool guy but doesn't deal with the paperwork, so their owner got a call and he now needs to "review the paperwork and get back to me" as far as a proper quote adjustment (if any)... even though it's a small enough outfit to know by now... hmm. I didn't pay pending his call.

We'll see where that transpires in tomorrow's call back.

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    Bike
    99 R6
    do you really have to replace the window? is it really a MUST to get the window repaired.what are the pros and cons?
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Bike
    CBR
    Sometimes the window doesn't clear up even after the small holes are drilled and the suck-out happens (depends on amount of condensation and age I guess)... some repair shops say they can try the latter, then put credit towards a new window replacement if need be.

Dude from Extreme called back, a whopping $30 ish of my bill saying a 1 hour min charge and original estimate visit must be included... both of which weren't stated before or in print... lame. Anyways, paid the bill and move on... I wouldn't recommend them in the future, but as usual... caveat emptor.

Bike
    sportbike... pfffft!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickPrince View Post
    Sometimes the window doesn't clear up even after the small holes are drilled and the suck-out happens (depends on amount of condensation and age I guess)... some repair shops say they can try the latter, then put credit towards a new window replacement if need be.

Dude from Extreme called back, a whopping $30 ish of my bill saying a 1 hour min charge and original estimate visit must be included... both of which weren't stated before or in print... lame. Anyways, paid the bill and move on... I wouldn't recommend them in the future, but as usual... caveat emptor.

two hours labour, dont forget loading up the window, driving to your house, driving back to the shop. my job charges minimum 4 hours at 114 bucks an hour. so just to have me come out and do nothing is 4 hours. just cuz the job itself takes 30 minutes doesnt mean 2 hours of time wasnt required.