Fork Springs: Comparing specs

Thread: Fork Springs: Comparing specs

Bike
    '00 Yamaha R6

Question Fork Springs: Comparing specs

I'm trying to get a set of fork springs for my '00 R6. I've lokoed at Racetech and Ohlins and will pick one of those two brands.

Question is...on the Racetech website they have a calculator to help you pick the correct spring based on your bike and your body weight (minus gear).

Ohlins does not...

Can I be safe to assume that if Racetech recommends I use a .85 that I should use the same in an Ohlins?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

this is my...boomstick! Array CrotchetyRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    click, click
    NO. Racetech's spring calc specs are notoriously unique to themselves and not always very accurate. Determining what you need is a job for experts in the particular bike, as many factors other than just body weight come into play. Ask on a website dedicated to your bike and see what people use for your machine and ask the spring company what they recommend over the phone; talking to a live person. When you get the springs you choose, check thm to see they meet the spec you ordered.

CR

Bike
    '00 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by CrotchetyRocket View Post
    NO. Racetech's spring calc specs are notoriously unique to themselves and not always very accurate. Determining what you need is a job for experts in the particular bike, as many factors other than just body weight come into play. Ask on a website dedicated to your bike and see what people use for your machine and ask the spring company what they recommend over the phone; talking to a live person. When you get the springs you choose, check thm to see they meet the spec you ordered.

CR

no doubt. I looked up the same requirements (bike, weight) for the Ohllins and they were suggesting a .85 instead of a .90.

Registered User Array Scorpion71's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 KLR685,FZ6S
    Your bikes an 00 and I'm assuming it's never had anything done to the suspension before? You're most likely going to require other items as well not just springs, give Rod a call at RMR Suspension, he'll tell you what your best options are in terms of spring rates, revalving etc.
    I'm just telling it like I see it !

Bike
    '00 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion71 View Post
    Your bikes an 00 and I'm assuming it's never had anything done to the suspension before? You're most likely going to require other items as well not just springs, give Rod a call at RMR Suspension, he'll tell you what your best options are in terms of spring rates, revalving etc.

I already picked up a complete set of oem replacement seals and caps. I noticed that my left side was leaking a little bit so I thought it best to just replace it all. The springs were something I realized I'd need when I still had too much sag even set as stiff as they would go.

Not sure what else I could replace? I'm thinking this will suffice though.