BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Daytona Yamaha?

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Scheme 
#1 ·
Didn't Daytona close down????

I'm sure I remember buying my Arai helmet there for half price during their "going out of business sale."

The reason I'm asking is I saw this bike in the buy & sell, and that is almost exactly what I'm looking to buy in a couple months.

*1992 KAWASAKI ZX6, 26000 km, stock, mint. $3999*

Two questions though: Are the transmissions on the pre 95 ZX6 a real problem (I heard they were) and would you buy from Daytona? (heard mixed reviews on the old Daytona)

Thanks.

#3 ·
Tell ya the truth, I'd have no problem buying a used bike from Daytona. If they have what you want and at a fair price and everything checks out....why not.

As for the tranny....no idea.

G
#5 ·
word is its the same guy running the new daytona that ran the old one. and said person did not have a good reputation in the business.

just before the old daytona closed, i heard about a guy that totalled his bike. he took it to daytona as a writeoff. daytona took the bike, and said "give us your claim money, and you can get any parts you want out of the back to build a new bike"

so he did it, and like a week later, was out his claim money, a new bike, and his old bike.

G
#7 ·
Fenton owns both old and new daytona.I bought my blade off him at a good price.It was a shame that he was still taking deposits and layaways when he knew he was going bankrupt.I had leathers on layaway there and quickly borrowed money to pick it up before they closed or I would have had a hard time getting them.Brain,his head sales guy before,owns and runs motorcycle world now.Ive talked to Brain and he said it would be no problem getting any bike I wanted,even if he didn't carry that make..hint..hint.A nice guy and well connected.He personally owns like 20 motorcycles I think...

#8 ·
I've heard horror stories similar to what doug just said...taking deposits when they knew they were going out of business.

How would you feel? You give this guy a $500 deposit on some leathers, he claims bankruptcy and you never get your suit OR your deposit back. Then he's back in business a few months later, with the same business name, in almost the same location, still dealing in motorcycles...and you're sitting there shit out of luck! :firemad I wouldn't throw a penny towards anyone running any sort of business in that fashion. :mad This might be harsh words...but I almost hope he goes out of business again for doing that to people...maybe I don't know the whole story or something, but to me that's just not right.

Prez, I would get the ZX-6 checked out. I haven't heard anything bad about the trannies on those ZXs...but better safe than sorry. I had a '93 ZX-6E for about a year, and it was flawless the time that I owned it. It later became Sewman's bike, and the charging system eventually crapped out at 50,000kms...but the tranny was still fine from what I recall.

G
#9 ·
i've heard about write offs being re VIN'd and sold as used bikes, instead of salvage. i've heard about bikes being written off for no reason, so he could get it for parts. i've heard about the frame scams. i've heard about a whack of crashed GSXRs rebuilt with aftermarket plastics and sold as NEW.

heard a lot of other things far worse, but have 0 proof of them.

fenton doesn't own daytona any more. its owned by his father in law i believe, and he is running it. i also understand the new shop is actually on one of the parcels of land the old shop used to own.

#10 ·
doug said:
i also understand the new shop is actually on one of the parcels of land the old shop used to own.
Ya, it's about half a block south, still on King George Hwy same side of the street to.

#12 ·
I had a '94 ZX-6 and my husband had a '91. We put MANY miles on those bikes, and although he maintained it well, the hubby rode the Kawi hard, to keep up with his friends on litre bikes. (my bike had it much easier, I did extensive touring on it) Neither of us had any problems with the bikes, especially not the transmission. The mid '90's bikes were recalled to have swing arms replaced, but I think that was just a precaution.

G
#13 ·
I believe Brian at Motorcycle World is trustworthy.
Although I never had a problem with Daytona (because I dealt with Brian?) I don't trust Mr. Fenton, simply because of his reputation and the fact that 2 months later, after a huge crash, he's back in business. The fact that he's carrying yamaha lends credence to the rumor that Yamaha was the one brand he didn't get around to screwing. In a nutshell, if his teeth were on fire, I wouldn't do him the favor and pi$$ in his mouth.
..and that's one man's opinion!
(but actual results may vary.)
cheers.

#15 ·
Thank you for all the input everyone.

I guess my answers are:

The transmission on the ZX 6 is not "notorious" for problems, (but not exempt).

Daytona Yamaha is not owned by the same people who owned the last one, but they are related.

#18 ·
It was largely Honda Canada that put Fenton out of business after buying out another shop (which turned out to be shady). I can't speak to any of the other "rumors" though. I've never had a problem there, wish i could of got in on the going out of business sale though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.