Protecting your bike in a strata parkade
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Protecting your bike in a strata parkade

Bike
    2004 Yamaha Limited Edition R6

Protecting your bike in a strata parkade

I'm at my witts end with this. Our parkade has been broken into at least dozen times since I moved in about a year ago!! My car has been broken into twice and last night they not only broke into my car, my girlfriends car, they uncovered the cover to my bike to see what they could steal there too!! Fortunately none of our vehicles and my bike has nothing to steal, short of them removing parts from the bike which they did to my buddies bike about a month ago in my parkade, they stole his front fender!!! Who would steal a fender!!! I'm just furious with these bastards and if I ever caught one of them I wouldn't be responsible for my actions!! What can I do to protect my bike better, I don't know if there is security systems for bikes? There probably is, but would like to more info on this. I think I'll probably be getting an alarm for my car too, not sure if it will help much though, they'll probably just steal that too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LHF View Post
    I'm just furious with these bastards and if I ever caught one of them I wouldn't be responsible for my actions!!
    Yes you would... if they were caught however, they wouldn't be. You'd go to jail, they'd go free. It's the Canadian way.

Bike boot/bike Brace seem like good little kits. I'm picking one up when I move into my strata soon.

Bike
    Cover your bike with a M/C tarp and lock up the ends with a padlock. Same with your car.

Bike
    RC
    Well you can move.

You can suggest the strata upgrades the security system so when joe dummy looses his key fob for the tenth time it can be deleted from the system instead of being a regular stop on the nightly ripoff parade.

Becoming Insane Array
    Bike
    Ducati
    Stop living in Whalley.

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    does your building have cameras? THat helps. Also ask the strata if they have a timing mechanism on the postal lock. It is an inexpensive thing that only allows the mailman to use his key to open the doors during a small window time frame. Out side of those hours, the postal key is useless.
    We have a hidden camera by the buzzer pad and it has taken at least a half dozen pics of ppl trying to use some sort of makeshift postal key to open the front door.
    When my old place added the cameras and this timing mechanism, the break ins pretty much stopped.
    The most important thing is that ppl stop and wait for the garage door toclose.
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    bikeboot/brace and the lockable bike/car cover are probably the best 2 ideas. maybe a paging alarm. got one in my Zook and the asshat's who were trying to steal my bike weren't to happy bout being thwarted by a very pissed off, woken up at 3am tenant who came bellowing out of the elevator loby door and rushed em!! been nice and quiet for the past 3 years.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebicat View Post
    Stop living in Whalley.

I was going to say that, but then I figure I'd say something constructive.

Becoming Insane Array
    Bike
    Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger View Post

I was going to say that, but then I figure I'd say something constructive.
    I never have anything constructive to say...

Bike
    I never have anything constructive to say...
    yeah, I noticed that.

Bike
    2006 Kawi ZZR250, 2003 GSX-R600
    Changed our front door and interior parkade doors to the electronic fob system. All key fobs are tracked, any missing get deleted form the system.

Any exterior doors to the parkade and building (excluding main front door) have had keys broken off in the locks, so they are for emergency exit only, and we have installed inexpensive alarm systems that sound a bell if these doors are opened. Large sticker notices have been put on both sides of these doors indicating they are alarmed.

This has seemed to help somewhat. Lived in my building in PoCo 2.5 yrs and had my truck broken into twice before these upgrades. When I first moved in a guy had his bike stolen even though he had a disc lock on it.

Bike
    Thanks for the suggestions. First off no I don't live in Whalley or Surrey for that matter!! Its Burnaby. As for the gate to the parkade, it is on a fob system and we actually set the timer shorter so that the gate closes faster. The suggestion has been put forward about dummy cameras, more signage, block watch, don't know what else, but it all comes back to the residents being vigilent. By the way I am on the Council and this is a problem we have been struggling with for quite some time. We're thinking of even adding another security gate, but the cost is going to be whopping! Security cameras also expensive and will likely be broken anyway.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ren9666 View Post
    Changed our front door and interior parkade doors to the electronic fob system. All key fobs are tracked, any missing get deleted form the system.

Any exterior doors to the parkade and building (excluding main front door) have had keys broken off in the locks, so they are for emergency exit only, and we have installed inexpensive alarm systems that sound a bell if these doors are opened. Large sticker notices have been put on both sides of these doors indicating they are alarmed.

This has seemed to help somewhat. Lived in my building in PoCo 2.5 yrs and had my truck broken into twice before these upgrades. When I first moved in a guy had his bike stolen even though he had a disc lock on it.
    Its crazy what they will steal, my friend had his plastic front fender stolen! Another guy said they ripped off his air freshner!! How absurd is that!!!

Becoming Insane Array
    Bike
    Ducati
    Quote Originally Posted by LHF View Post
    Its crazy what they will steal, my friend had his plastic front fender stolen! Another guy said they ripped off his air freshner!! How absurd is that!!!
    The people stealing these things don't usually have trips to a day spa, they're usually covered in their own pee. So I think it makes perfect sense.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    The people stealing these things don't usually have trips to a day spa, they're usually covered in their own pee. So I think it makes perfect sense.
    Good post. Good post.