BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Feeler: Sun Aug 14th BIG ride - Manning, Oliver, Lillooet, Whistler

6K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  D'Amiel_600rr 
#1 · (Edited)
is there any interest in doing a big ride on sunday via the duffey?

i'm thinking of something like this:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Bu...DFpsVKHc3IK3Q&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=8&via=3,5&z=8

i'd like to be back in van at 7pm, so so we'd want to start early, say breakfast in princeton 8am means leaving van around 5:30am?
this ride would be in the neighbourhood of 900km's

and obviously, as per bandito, no shitter bikes or bikes in need of repair, tires, brake pads, etc.

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah i have no idea - i'm hoping someone from the interior riders forum will pipe in.

i can cut that section out tho or just do an out and back to the anarchist mtn lookout.

#4 ·
check out the Apex/Green Mntn Road (starts in Penticton) ... but watch out for a couple decreasing radius corners with wooden bridge decks at the apex (maybe that's why they call it "Apex Mntn") ... some guy died on one of those last year, and they've claimed a few riders over the years.

#8 ·
Honestly, I'm impressed that some of you can be on the bike for 8+ hours... specially on sportbikes. Intense stuff.

Btw, speaking of "in need of repair", who wanna see my brake pads and tires? It's still stock 250r at 10,000km.. it shouldn't need replacing soon, right? (off topic)

#10 ·
tires might be getting close to 2/3 used up and the brake pads should be fine. it really depends on how hard you're riding the bike tho. if you're not sure about how worn they are best thing is to run it by a shop, they should be willing to look at it for free and give you some advice as to how much life is left.

#14 ·
penticton to apex is a nice road, just watch for a lot of sand and much as i know it is unpaved to olalla so you will have to cut back to twin lakes area... also, the baldy hill road is unpaved so you might want to rethink that as well. the highway 3 from cawston to osoyoose is too pretty to miss (watch for cops!)... than again, i haven't gone down to US side... another possible suggestion is from oliver to twin lakes paved back road or okanagan falls to penticton on east side road... i lived in okanagan falls for last 3 years before moving to vancouver.

#15 ·
penticton to apex is a nice road, just watch for a lot of sand and much as i know it is unpaved to olalla so you will have to cut back to twin lakes area... also, the baldy hill road is unpaved so you might want to rethink that as well.
thanks

the highway 3 from cawston to osoyoose is too pretty to miss (watch for cops!)... than again, i haven't gone down to US side... another possible suggestion is from oliver to twin lakes paved back road or okanagan falls to penticton on east side road... i lived in okanagan falls for last 3 years before moving to vancouver.
is that the fairview white lake road you're talking about? too bad you've neve been stateside, nighthawk to oroville is a real treat and a quick jaunt from osoyoos.

#17 ·
CDN Loop Ride

My :2cents:

I would suggest this loop would be better
riding - and keeps you away from the double
Manning (and cops) on a weekend

If you are set on doing the US bit, then
this loop would fit that in - though it is only
about 30 min of US riding, for 2 border crossings...

Might also suggest this will be a long day
in Canuckistan, simply because of the
traffic, and fear of the man...

Days are shorter, and a 7:00 AM departure
is likely to result in an after dark return.

Might be interested...

#19 ·
My :2cents:

I would suggest this loop would be better
riding - and keeps you away from the double
Manning (and cops) on a weekend

If you are set on doing the US bit, then
this loop would fit that in - though it is only
about 30 min of US riding, for 2 border crossings...

Might also suggest this will be a long day
in Canuckistan, simply because of the
traffic, and fear of the man...

Days are shorter, and a 7:00 AM departure
is likely to result in an after dark return.

Might be interested...
i'd be happy with either of those. i just like hitting nighthawk to oroville when the opportnity arises.

#22 ·
Damn, that's a hell of a ride!

Personally, I'd spread that over two days; you'll be less tried, more focused, will enjoy the roads/scenery more, and won't be as tempted to roll the throttle to 'excessive' speeds when slabbing it on the #1 coming home.

#23 ·
RubHerDown pretty much took the words outa my mouth. It is FAR superior to ride 5A north from Princeton, then Merritt to Spences Bridge (both amongst the very finest motorcycling roads within day range of Vancouver), than to reverse Manning Park and take the canyon north to Lytton, both less entertaining and much more intensely patrolled. The loop he's shown includes a 30km gravel portion north of Otter Lake; your original had you out-and-back to Tulameen. I rate 5A higher than the Tulameen road, so myself, I'd suggest just deleting that portion.

#24 · (Edited)
#27 ·
Hmm... 5am. The maximum average rate of speed including stops seems to hit a wall around 90-110kph regardless of actual speed on technical roads. Expect minimum 12-14 hours, add two border crossings, add substantial food stop. The midway crossing could be more-exciting than osoyoos but neither seem worth the time for the duration in the states.

You have two loops might as well make a change to stay out there

#30 · (Edited)
ok, so the weather is looking a bit better for tomorrow, but i'd like to be back in van for a dinner i want to go to.
i'll have to cut out the far eastern portion of the loop and only do a full duffey loop via princeton and merritt.

plan is to leave early, breakfast in princeton figure out the rest along the way.

here's the updated route:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Bu...DFpsVKHc3IK3Q&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=8&via=3,5&z=8

i'm open to route suggestions after princeton if anyone has some nice backroads they know about.

#31 ·
Hey There:

Going to be busy on Sunday, but made one
suggested change to your route - here

That takes you on Highway 8, through to
Spences Bridge, then North along the Thompson
to Cache Creek - awesome roads.

Hope the weather works out - enjoy the ride !

#35 ·
I'm in west Langley (aka Surrey).

How about the Timmies at 200 and 80th, about 2-300 meters south of Holeshot on the east side of 200?

And since I will be up at 5 AM anyways, any time is good for me.

#40 ·
911.9 km on my tripmeter.

Great ride, great company.

Sorry about that pass on the upper levels Don, I wasn't paying attention.

#42 ·
gosh, what a fine day - I showed 913k when I got home. great day-long pace, syncro: riding "The Pace" was blissful! ('cept for having get my jollies from Merritt to Sp Br - the exuberance of youth, eh?)
no problem, S. I freaked at the last moment, cuz I thot one of the stopped vehicles was gonna change lanes...

amazing, eh? 900kms, all BC, Sunday in August, not a single LEO, light traffic 'cept for Whistler back, and even that moved pretty quickly. there IS hope (at least, beyond the S2S!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.