BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

New (to me) Bike day!

16K views 143 replies 58 participants last post by  falco1uk 
#1 ·
After getting a tip and a link from a buddy (Newbusa), half a dozen emails, 1 phone call and 5 pictures I took a drive to Trail.

Twelve hundred kilometres, 17 hours, 2.5 tanks of fuel and one great road trip later I put a new baby in the garage.

1985 VF1000R.
Number 15 of 308 imported to Canada.
23,300 km.
Last insured in 2006.
Starts on the first crank, idles steady, pulls clean.
Super sexy gear driven cams providing a wonderful sound track.
No accidents, no missing parts, stock as a rock.
A couple of small cracks and one small scrape on the belly pan.

A wheelbase slightly shorter than a Greyhound bus and a GVW slightly higher.
Goofy 17"/16" tires.
The second model sold to the public that HRC had a hand in; the first being the CB1100R and the third being the RC-30.

The only other VF1000R I have seen was a dealer owned model that was a static display at one of the SBW gatherings in Osoyoos.

It requires some maintenance, but nothing that isn't going to be enjoyable. I foresee happy days de-stressing in the garage. I'll grab some better pictures tomorrow and then off to ICBC to do the paperwork to apply for collector plates.

To say I'm ecstatic is an understatement. A huge thanks to Johnny Gee for uncovering it for me! :cheers :coffee :thumbup :thumbup

See less See more
#72 · (Edited)
Yeah I saw that. I had such a fuck around with them it was almost not worth it. You know damn well if something happens they will deny it becasue you had the nerve to change the oil or gas in it or someother stupid reason.

Of course me telling certain people in certain circles to go fuck themselves may not have helped my application. :evilgrin

The period mods are purely subjective too. I got shit for the wrong tint of red on my bike and wrong bars which were actually a factory option.

Collander? Never had any desire to go there. Borscht you say? Hard for me to eat restaurant borscht. I grew up on the real home made stuff. They never put enough dill in it and always way too much salt.

Fresh borscht from the stove with fresh baked home made bread and butter. For an afternoon of total childhood regression.

#74 ·
Weezies borsch hut is just that.

Also, every family makes it different to start with, their stuff was good.

#75 ·
Just got back after a coffee with SoL. I ran Cloverdale-Abbotsford-Newton-North Vancouver-Burnaby-Aldergrove-Walnut grove.

An easy 260 km. A fun, fun ride.
Great sounding engine, temps stayed no more than halfway up the dial even in traffic. Runs cool at highway speeds so maybe a failed thermostat.
Heavy, drops into corners waaaay faster than the T; skinny tires, high C of G and a 16" front will do that.
Good weather protection.
Engine pulls great, but you feel the age and weight.
Bit of a wallower at times. That front end needs sorting.

Oh, and a 618 lb bike with 28 year old rubber brake lines doesnt stop as quick as a 450 lb Tuono with braided steel.Big surprise. A really, really big surprise when that tractor trailer has come to a complete stop in front of you on Hwy 1 while you are looking at the pretty gauges. Two finger braking, not happening with this old girl.

All around it was a hoot to whir around on. I'm a happy little camper!

#83 · (Edited)
Well it was fun while it lasted.

I was out for a cruise in Ft Langley this afternoon. As I turned right off Glover Rd onto Rawlinson Court the road is a downhill right.

The Sunbird/Cavalier driver in front of me pulled onto the shoulder and came almost to a complete halt. I pulled out to go around him and then he decided to pull a u-turn, 30' from an intersection that is fairly busy.

I hit the front driver quarter panel at 20-30 km/hr, over the hood and landed on my right side. Head smoked the ground pretty hard as well as the hip and shoulder. Yay for armored jeans, leather jackets with armor and a full face Bell.

As I pulled myself off the pavement and the driver appraoched, I questioned his driving ability and decision making process in a rather coarse fashion, and then things started to hurt. Hips, shoulder and neck started first. The driver approached, and only asked for a pen to trade info. Nothing about if I was OK which triggered the spidey senses. his girlfriend jumped in the driver's seat as I popped out the IiPhone and took a pic of the driver and license plate. Thankfully a witness was directly behind and stopped to provide assistance and a statement.

I called 911 and reported it and then noticed the Sunbird/Cavalier jockeying its position on the shoulder. I went over and talked to the girlfriend who was now driving and the original driver who was now in the passenger seat. Spidey senses tingling stronger now.

I asked "You really aren't thinking of leaving are you?" Buddy said they were going to the cop shop in Ft Langley. I pointed out that there wasn't one. We went around in that circle for 2 or 3 times and they headed out. I informed him that failing to remain at the scene was only going to make things worse, regardless if he was a prohib or unlicensed driver. I considered reaching in and grabbing the keys, but since I already had a pic of him, his plate and the police were on the way; why expose myself to being dragged down the road? And besides, if a K9 Unit get called in, all the more justice in my eye! :)

Off they went with the car driving pigeon toed causing the tires to squeal, since applying 530 lbs of Honda and 200 lbs of rider to the left front tire apparently isn't a load that Chevy originally planned for the mighty Sunbird/Cavalier. A second call to 911 to report him leaving took care of that.

A Langley traffic member arrived about 2 minutes after they left and started with his end of things. About 5 minutes later he told me that they had stopped the car and located the male who had run off to hide in a construction site. No information at this point of why he ran, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a few possible reasons.

So right now I'm sitting at home with a glass of wine, pretty stiff and sore; but all is good. On the way home I saw an Air Ambulance landed on Hwy 1 by 200th St. My little mishap is pretty minor compared to that and the bad guy got caught.

Ride safe.

Some Pics:

This is where the bike ghost rode about 30'-40' and jammed to a halt.

Considering used top and bottom fairings alone are $1000 a pop before being repainted and the tank now has a dent in it, I can't see it being repaired. It would be nice if it was though!

#102 ·
Well it was fun while it lasted!
Geez David!
Those old bones take a heck of a lot longer to heal than they used to! Glad to read it wasn't worse for you.
As much as I hate cell phones, they are damned handy to have in such a situation! Eliminates a good deal of the he said she said!
Heal up quick and thank your lucky stars!

#86 ·
pic of the sunbird/cavalier or it never happend and you just apexed the straight.

sorry for the loss david, but glad to hear you came out of it pretty much okay.
salvage and rebuild time!

#87 ·
Shitty deal. I am totally on the same page as far as pain goes, I dropped my bike on monday coming back from Vegas. I was on 93 in Idaho and hit a puddle of something as I leaned into a slow left. It threw me on the ground and some how I managed to smash my right thumb and right instep. I managed to ride the last six hours home, not sure how as I can't grip anything, but it's going to be costly.

It's supper crappy that your pretty little bike is probably a write off now, and I am sorry to hear that you are in pain. I hope it gets sorted out for you and that you heal up quick.

#90 ·
You shoulda just told him what you do for a living, that would have stopped him from running. But nothing like a little light entrapment to make the story juicy.

So now that you're all banged up, it's time for disability and a nice big ICBC payout. High five! Glad you're okay, too bad for the bike.

#122 ·
Sheesh! Glad you made it ok Dave. You handled the post crash situation remarkably well too.

Another old school VFR is gone :(

it's time for disability and a nice big ICBC payout.
Which will be minimal and small unless you wait 3-8 years for a larger payout which will be reduced by the lawyer fees.

#93 ·
Ouch. And sore at the scene of the accident.

It's good to hear that information is taken and you're home. I hope you contact a lawyer and visit a hospital quick (or take the ambulance) so the documentation can begin, take pictures of any bruises etc.

Hwy 1 was an interesting accident, second-hand information. The small cruiser appeared undamaged at the side without a shoulder, I'm guessing someone had to pull off and someone wasn't paying attention.

#100 ·
This happened to a friend when he was in his truck... Guy randomly u-turned in front of him and my friend clipped his bumper while trying to steer around him ( only so much you can do at 80kph I guess ). ICBC tried to go 50/50 on fault which is bull. I can totally see them trying that here on the OP... " motorcyclist should have allowed a greater following distance blah blah blah... ", however, because the driver in today's case fled I'd say its a safe bet how this turns out

#103 ·
I just woke up stiff and sore and saw a bunch of updates had been texted to me. I learned that an off-duty VPD member located the car and tracked the guy to locate him hiding under a bush. Buddy was an unlicensed driver who received tickets for "Unlicensed Driver", "Fail to Remain at Scene of an Accident" and "Drive without Due Care".

There was an off-duty VPD member stopped to check on me while I waited for the RCMP, a fellow on a firecracker red ZRX1100. At this point the driver had left. I gave him the license plate number, a description of the car and the driver. I'm gonna guess it was the same guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.