BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Duffy Lake Difficulty?

8K views 66 replies 38 participants last post by  junk2trunk 
#1 ·
Now that summer has arrived, I've been thinking I need a day to ride, and everyone says that the Duffy Lake Loop is one of the best BC has to offer.

So would a new rider with about 2.5k km's over the span of 2 months (plus a course at Action) be in over his head?

I've done the S2S a couple times solo, haven't really spent any time with more seasoned riders.

Thanks for the input!

#7 ·
I did it yesterday... For the first time.

Sounds like you'll be doing the speed limit all the way. Leave early in the morning. Heed to the suggested speed limits in the curves and you'll be fine. But look out for gravel at every corner.

Also, people are friendly there, and they wave at bikes.. Its fun ;)

#8 ·
That's how you get more experience, there is not a road in BC that a new rider cannot manage as long as they pay attention the the speed signs, is aware of their own limits and stays within them...

Enjoy, you are going to LOVE that road....

#32 ·
Plus One. As stated, leave very early to beat the heat and hydrate well. Depending on when you go it will be windy Sun onward. Have fun, you will.

#9 ·
Just did it for the first time this year myself. As long as you stick to the limit you can ride anywhere. If your out to have fun make sure you don't go alone. It is a fun day and you'll enjoy it. Ride within your means and you'll be just fine.

#10 ·
I did it for the first time yesterday (with mike) and it's a great ride. As mentioned, bring lots of water (I drank 2L, plus probably 1L of lemonade at lunch and could probably have drank more). Definitely stop at least once every 90mins or so even if just for 10 minutes at a time, it's a long longer ride than my body was used to, and I'd probably be more sore today if we hadn't gotten gas a couple extra times.

The road conditions were fine, some areas with gravel and a handful of larger rocks on the road in landslide areas to watch for. I think we had to stop for construction 3 or 4 times for less than 5 minutes at a time. Any corner that you'll want to slow down for is marked clearly. When it's safe, cars will usually pull to the shoulder to give you enough space to pass.

#13 ·
if you want to enjoy yourself and not ask for a kidney transplant, just go do a winthrop run or only far as liberty bell and back.

pavement of much higher quality, less places with gravel, and drivers are generally better there as well.

only worthwhile portions of that loop are parts of the fraser canyon, and a few km before pemberton. rest are either too frost heave and tar snake covered hell, or is just boring at speeds you'll be doing.

#18 · (Edited)
How were the conditions?

if you want to enjoy yourself and not ask for a kidney transplant, just go do a winthrop run or only far as liberty bell and back.
Can I get a google map of this "Winthrop run" if you've got it saved and handy?

When were you thinking of going? I've never done it myself and wouldn't mind riding with someone who was reasonable about it for a first time trip. I've got 10K+ under my belt, but I'm definitely still a noobie in some ways
Early august probably

A new rider friend of mine(got his class 6 last year) did the Duffey a couple weeks ago, after riding many many times up the S2S to Squamish and Whistler.

He crashed.
Details? ... was there gravel or a pot hole mid corner? was he chasing a more experienced (read: faster) rider?

Thanks everyone!

#23 ·
type in sumas to winthrop in maps search and follow that.

you can easily spend a day playing around in wa o the waythere.
just go early if you do weekend and aim to start the climb by 0830 0900 the latest.

mid week is different.

#27 ·
oh. betwen llyton and lillioeetetete there are 2 marked blind corners and you better be doing what it says or we are probably going to read a rider down thread from you. They caught me off guard especially after the high speed fun through fraser canyon before that.

"30? puuleasseee.... ohfuckfucukkkkkkk"

#29 ·
Holy crap. I had 1200 km under my wheels when I rode from Halifax to Thunder Bay 30 years ago. That was 3000 km over 4 days.

Just ride. Be as careful as any normal person. This riding stuff ain't rocket science.

#31 ·
No road should be a problem if you ride within your limits. I rode the Duffey the first year I was on a bike. Guess what, I didn't crash. I've ridden it every year since, regardless of crappy pavement. Last year was pretty nice after the repaving job.
Unless there are camouflaged sink holes in the road, any road is OK to ride. It's not the road that kills it's the idiots who ride beyond their limits. Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.

#34 ·
..... It's not the road that kills it's the idiots who ride beyond their limits. Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.
Very true..

I came across 4 Harleys from Alberta yesterday on the downhill into Mt. Currie, they were not idiots and would have put half the sportybikers here to shame..

#36 ·
Another note there is one hairpin with a gravel entry. Never caught me out but something to be aware of. This was a few years ago so maybe it's paved now?

It's on the entry (downhill) if you are heading north. On the exit (uphill) I you are headed south.

#38 ·
Also if it's raining there's one or two wooden bridges that will be squirrelly. One of them has a sharp corner right after it. The only two times I rode the duffy was in the rain, and both times I just about shat my pants at that part. Doing it not in the pouring rain and fog might be advisable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.