BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Breaking in leathers...

5K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  made Man 
#1 ·
So i figured I'd wear my 2 piece from TAP Moto for a ride today... About 3 blocks I had to turn back as I just could not bend my leg at all. It fits me fine when i wore it around the house (not this particular one, but same size i exchanged)... just not in the riding position.

So, who's got some tips on making it nice and comfy?

#3 ·
piss on it, seriously. urine is a well know trick of the trade that master leathermen use when making custom saddles and other riding gear. apparently the electrlytes in urine will soften leather allowing it to be stretched to fit without it drying out the leather where it becomes hard and crusty.

#5 ·
And you wouldn't believe how useful that ability is...nobody seems as comfortable wearing hot leather pants around the house as kerunt.

But seriously, don't piss on your leathers, no matter who tells you to do that. Don't wear them in the shower, don't put them in the washing machine or the dryer, don't spray them with chemicals or rub them with mink oil. Just wear them. Of course they're going to be stiff when new. That's jut a characteristic of new leather. They'll loosen up with time and a bit of heat through wearing them. Exposing them to "electrolytes" (through pissing on them or sweating excessively) will weaken the stiching and dry out the leather, as will running them through the wash or dryer, which will stretch them in places you don't want. Adding any excessive amount of oil will just make the leather slick and separate the stitching, and in the case of cheaper suits, exposing them to greater wear.

#6 ·
If you need to put your hand under your knee in order to lift your foot on to the footpeg of the bike, then they fit perfectly.

It may not only be uncomfortable, it may also be painfull where the leather digs in to your gut, elbows, knees. A good day of riding in a hot dasy always helps.

Just grit it and wear them.

And BTW, urine was used by tanners back in the 1500's. Poor folk would save their urine and sell it to the tanners. Hence the phrase:

"I'm so poor I don't even have a pot to piss in"

#7 ·
And BTW, urine was used by tanners back in the 1500's. Poor folk would save their urine and sell it to the tanners. Hence the phrase:

"I'm so poor I don't even have a pot to piss in"
"In medieval London, people did not have indoor plumbing. It was common to use a chamber pot as an indoor toilet. The chamber pot could then be dumped out a window into the street gutter below. A person who did not have a "pot to piss in" was poor indeed."

#9 ·
im talking about motorcycle leathers, not the gimp suit Al makes you wear:laughing

#11 ·
Trying to break in my new one-peice. Seems like i dont need to goto its an enough workout wearing that thing around the house 3 times a week.

Jumped on the bike with the suit, and shit cant shoulder check anymore lol.

#13 ·
As a general observation every suit I've had has been very uncomfortable to walk around in but as soon as I got on the bike I felt like it vanished.

If they aren't comfortable to ride in then the only way to break them in is to ride in them, not to walk around the house. I have run across a few folks who'd watch TV in a riding crouch or something similar.

I do not like being able to fit my hand down in between the suit and skin, when you can do that it means the suit will move as you're sliding along the pavement and padding or abrasion material will not stay where it needs to be.

#15 ·
If I can get to the highway. I couldn't move anything, no shifting or rear brake.

#16 ·
Seriously....how are those Tap leathers? I looked at them at the bike show..Dunno....looked cheap with little to no armour in them. Stitching looked kinda light too....wasn't too impressed.

Are they any good or just built to a budget price point? Do they make like a full GP suit I didn't see?

#17 ·
#18 ·
pretty good. Alex straight up said that the back protector in the suit is not certified mainly because people just take it out and use their own, but all the other padding is.

Jacket is nice and comfy. Fits well and is a bit warmer than my Power Trip one due to better fit and less air coming in through the neck gap.

Only problem is that there are NO pockets whatsoever. Kinda becomes a PITA if wearing the full suit. Might have to find a tank bag for cell and wallet.

#26 · (Edited)
You can't blame the suit or the company if you're too big for it or bought the wrong size. Besides, an off the shelf suit can't be designed to fit everyone; it's impossible. Every manufacturer has a different cut and fit and it varies from make to make

Like I said, mine fit perfectly and was comfortable from day one and it only got better after breaking it in and conditioning the leather.

Granted, your Dainese suit is probably really nice and definitely baller pimp stylez; but I think I'd rather have the extra $1100 in my pocket :eek

#27 · (Edited)
You can't blame the suit or the company if you're too big for it or bought the wrong size.

An off the shelf suit can't be designed to fit everyone; it's impossible. Every manufacturer has a different cut and fit and it varies from make to make

Like I said, mine fit perfectly and was comfortable from day one and it only got better after breaking it in and conditioning the leather.
Ooops, I was under the impression this manufacturer made him a pair...as they are local, I thought for some reason they measured you and made the suit to follow....

I thought I spoke to some local rep within the year and that was their MO. It must not have been Tap-Moto.

Good luck Max, sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation....

Granted, your Dainese suit is probably really nice and definitely baller pimp stylez; but I think I'd rather have the extra $1100 in my pocket :eek
Get it straight, it's R.S. Taichi.... and that's just the way I roll, or loop over... :coffee....

#28 ·
You are correct! Tap-Moto does do made-to-measure but they also do off-the-shelf. As far as I'm aware, Max bought an off-the-shelf 2-piece that they were putting on special at the bike show.

Sorry! R.S. Taichi! That's actually more baller pimp isn't it? :D

#30 ·
my problem is that off the shelve stuff never fits me right.
If it's big enough for my shoulders, it's going to be way too baggy in my lower torso area. If it fits me there, I cant stretch it over my shoulders. Same goes for pants...

I got a jacket that fit me perfectly with a hoodie under it (the black Power Trip one). Now it's waaaaay to baggy after a year of riding in it. I bought the suit in that size, assuming it will do the same thing.

As for getting in and out, that is not a problem. So it's not THAT small. lol

#32 ·
i hope so.
wore my jacket half dozen times and it already feels much better than the first time i put it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.