BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Competition for EX250?

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  CanaganD 
#1 ·
Browsing for used bikes in ontario (good chanse of being there this whole summer) found this Markham dealership selling CBR125R.
Are we finally going to see sub 600 bikes here? Or is it just a glorified scooter?

Discuss.

#5 ·
Oh, and after checking out insurance rates there... i think i'm gonna wait out on buying a bike 'til i get back here.

#7 ·
For a mid 90's ZX6 in 4-5K range i would be paying them almost 10K/year with nothing but 1mil liability... no collision, etc. With 500 deductibles, it goes to 12.5K. Paying nearly 1K/month in insurance to ride a few times on weekends is just not worth it.

Being 20 sucks.

#10 · (Edited)
It's part of Honda Canada's plan to offer an affordable introduction to motorcycling, for people who don't want to commit a whole lot money before finding out if they really want to pursue it further. You'll get the liquid-cooled single-cylinder CBR125R along with some gear and some basic riding instruction for $3500 (or $3000 for the bike only). This undercuts Honda's previous starter bike, the Rebel 250, by over $1000. It's also less than many new scooters, and while its modest power won't be ideal for longer trips on the highway (and won't be a match for something like an EX250), it should be enough for someone who just needs to get around town and wants a more pure motorcycling experience than what a scooter offers.

There are plenty of performance upgrades already on the market for this bike, and it would definitely be a good candidate for an affordable spec race series.

#24 ·
With 13 HP the right sprockets and some suspension tuning this could be a superbly fun city bike.

Don't worry about how narrow the tires are. If you saw the lean angles we are getting at the mini road racing events on these same narrow street tires you'd be amazed.

For smaller and lighter folks that just want some cheap city transpo and to get some giggles draggin a little knee here and there I think these things would be aces.

I seriously doubt that a 125 scooter would be faster either. It would be a close race though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.