BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

can you turn left on a red light ?

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  R6er 
#1 ·
I know you can do this from a one way to another one way.

Can you do it from a two way to a one way ? say your coming north down granville, can you turn left on a red light to smithe ?

#7 ·
One of life's little secrets straight from ICBC.

Intersections controlled by traffic lights
Most people know who has the right-of-way at intersections
controlled by traffic lights, but they may not under stand how to
correctly respond to these lights. Here are some pointers that will
help you stay safe at intersections:
Steady Red light — A red light means that you must come to a
complete stop. You must wait for the light to turn green in order
to go straight.
After you have stopped and made sure the intersection is clear of
all vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians, you may turn right or turn
left onto a one-way street. Watch for signs prohibiting you from
making these turns on a red light.

Note how there is no reference to being in a one way or two way street? My understanding of this rule is that either type is acceptable. Check this thread and educate yourselves.....

http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/D...ense_for_Drivers_Rules_of_the_Road_MV2075.pdf

#8 · (Edited)
According to the MVA:

(b) except when a left turn permitted by this paragraph is prohibited by a sign at the intersection, the driver of a vehicle facing the red light at the intersection of not more than 2 highways, and which in obedience to it is stopped as closely as practicable to a marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, as closely as practicable to the intersection, may cause the vehicle to make a left turn into a highway on which traffic is restricted to the direction in which he or she causes the vehicle to turn, but the driver must yield the right of way to all pedestrians and vehicles lawfully proceeding as directed by the signal at the intersection

NFG is right.

#10 ·
You can turn left or right on a red light providing it is safe to do so and you do not cross oncoming traffic. So, the answer to your question is yes you can turn left onto a one way street going left if it is safe to do so.

#22 ·
I was misinformed about this as well, I was getting indignant at downtown drivers doing just this (I live downtown) and feeling all righteous about it until I talked to a friend of mine who happens to be a Van Police patrol member who works in my neighbourhood.

According to him - "there is nothing in the MVA that prohibits turning left (or right) from a red light onto a one way".

However, he stressed that police can get picky about it, if they see any other behaviour tthey don't like (e.g. you riding a motorbike may be enough). Unsafe lane change, undue care and attention, failure to signal, or any host of broadly defined charges they can throw at you if they don't like the look of you.

For him while the act isn't prohibited, its not strictly cricket either. So, like many things (speeding, lane splitting, using certain restricted HOV lanes) use your judgement before attempting.

Also, the the MVA - its okay to use red lights where there is no cross traffic as stop lights. So granville and Davie, Nelson and Davie right now are effectively stop signs (due to construction shutting the cross traffic down . . .

#23 ·
reader's digest version is this:

remember...

"anything onto a one way"

that means left or right on a red is okay... it's actually (or at least used to be) in the cartoon drivers test booklet from icbc..

i lost a bar bet on this many many years ago as i didnt believe it was true, but it is.

happy honking at people downtown who dont know better and wont turn when they could

#24 ·
I'm surprised at the number of people that don't know about this rule. I've had conversations about this on multiple occasions and a fair number of people did not know that they could make this turn. It just seemed to be one of the things that stuck with me when i was going through the licencing program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.