BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Motorcyclist critically injured in West Vancouver

7K views 75 replies 34 participants last post by  fish_antlers 
#1 ·
This sounds nasty - amazing how quickly a nice ride on a sunny afternoon can turn out so bad... hope the rider survives.

http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/Ne...277&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

--------------------------------------

One person has been critically injured after an accident in West Vancouver Sunday afternoon.
West Vancouver assistant fire chief Martin Ernst says the driver of a motorcycle was pinned by a moving van.

"There was some entanglement of the rider's limbs in the drive-shaft of the moving fan. Firefighters did arrive on the scene, and they used airbags and cribbing, which is basically a lift-support to life the moving van off."

This all hapenning just before 2:00pm in the 5600-block of Marine Drive in the Eagle Harbour area.
The B.C. Ambulance Service then airlifted the victim to Vancouver General Hospital.
Traffic in the area was also blocked-off for some time.

---------------------------------------

See less See more
#8 ·
"There was some entanglement of the rider's limbs in the drive-shaft of the moving fan. Firefighters did arrive on the scene, and they used airbags and cribbing, which is basically a lift-support to life the moving van off."-------
Why is the fire chief sharing gory details before the victim has even been identified? There is no reason for that to be made public, ever. Idiot.

#10 ·
looking at the video...

sure it was a stupid move to pass close to an intersection... but how much ya willing to be the truck (moving truck) did not signal and did the last second turn after driving slowly looking for the street/house number?

#37 ·
but how much ya willing to be the truck (moving truck) did not signal and did the last second turn after driving slowly looking for the street/house number?
Maybe...maybe not. Years back I had a friend who nearly took out a bike who blew past him on the left while he was sitting there with his signal on in a left turn lane!! And I'm talking the kind where at the intersection there is a seperate 3rd lane for turning, not just where one of the two lanes is a turning lane. You over estimate people's intelligence on the road...

#18 ·
there's one parked at work right now... outside.

guy must be on a shift, so will be going home when it's nice and cold in the morning. Brrrrrr..

#23 ·
Delivery/moving truck. For all we know he did the usual "drive slow looking for the address then turn last minute without signalling upon seeing the stteet name" thing they do.

#22 · (Edited)
I was just there doing a few runs on saturday around noon to 2pm.

The road conditions were good, so joke's on you for not being on the saddle.

#34 · (Edited)
good, eh? All the salt, sand, deicer and unmelted frost on the road in the corners = good for you? BTW I lived 1 block from where that accident happened and have seen a lot of bikes go down there, even on a nice spring and summer morning when it's not at or below freezing. That stretch of road almost never sees the light of day, maybe for 2 weeks in august if you're lucky. It's always slippery, always coLd there and it's off camber.

The joke's hardly on me. My bikes are nicely stored, warm and dry and I'll be halfway through a pint while the newbs are wadding up their bikes trying to prove to each other that freezing their asses off for no reason is a good idea .

#35 ·
"Did a few runs"... what? You ride up and down.. what is this, Marine drive towards West Van?

Is this the road that if you take it to the end takes you to the marina by the Ferry terminal?

I think I've been on that road ONCE, in a car driving for Fish N Chips... and I thought, "Hmm...this
is kinda nice and twisty...." and then it occurred to me it was a danger trap of epic proportions
for a motorcycle travelling at speed.

#36 ·
Fishantlers..does that street head up to the hyway,Westport ??
Marine Dr. in WV sucks unless it's6:00 AM Sunday morning, usually you plod along @ 40 behind a bus or granny traffic and few safe places to pass. Isn't one of my regular runs.

#38 ·
no... the specific area is the corners + downhill straight between greentree and westport. all off camber and literally in the dark about 350 days of the year. always pitied the people who lived in that stretch. amazing to see a place that NEVER sees sunlight. quite a curiosity actually!

#48 ·
I was out both days this weekend. Richmond to Langley and back Saturday, Sunday I rode around ubc and around the airport a bit. Roads were good and I took it easy, also noted any roads the sun hadn't hit around 1:00 and was extra careful on those. Had a great ride, was warm with my gear on. I'm still brand new, just passed my road test not long ago and I'm going to keep riding on weekends when it's clear. Just started riding and I don't want to park it yet!

#54 ·
I have a buddy who lives in Prince Rupert, has ridden for 40 years and refuses to ride in the rain. Am I going to call him names and enforce my judgement on him because of this? No. He's happy when he's riding and I'm happy for him.

I'll ride in rain, snow, sleet and sun. Of course I prefer warm and sunny. But I like to ride. Period. End of story.

If you don't, that your choice. I'm not going to call you stupid because you choose to not ride in weather conditions that you feel aren't worth it. But for you to call people stupid for doing so shows a closed mind.

#59 ·
I'll ride in rain, snow, sleet and sun. Of course I prefer warm and sunny. But I like to ride. Period. End of story.
And that's exactly the way it should be. Sure, there are greater risks associated with riding in colder, wetter, darker conditions, but it's entirely up to the individual to ensure they're trained and proficient in dealing with such conditions - and to ride accordingly. My bike is stored til probably March sometime, because I choose not to ride in adverse weather conditions. But I sure as heck don't think any less of those who ride in all weather. In fact, when I see bikes out on the occasional winter days when we get blue skies and sunshine, I'm envious! Today, for example!

But, back to the original theme of this thread, I truly hope this rider heals. An accident like this makes you realize how a quick lapse of good judgement can end in tragedy.

#56 ·
Hey, everybody's got their own ideas of what constitutes risk. Some of the people saying winter riding is stupid probably think nothing of treating public roads like a race track (in the warm sunshine). I think that's a hell of lot stupider than commuting to work all year, personally.

I guess time will tell. Maybe I'm making a horrible mistake...

#66 · (Edited)
Howdy ya'll...wow what a Sunday out in West Van. One of my clients called me yesterday afternoon at 2 pm leaving me a "I know your out on your bike today, please be careful message" Huh...that was nice I thought, but also wondered that it was kind of odd for her to call like that out of the blue. Seeing the video clip of the bike under the truck...that was shot right at the very end of her driveway. Said biker was trying to pass the "events party" truck on the left as the truck was turning left on to Eagle Harbour Road, from Marine Dr. The Truck driver knew where he was going...and was also in a state of shock afterwards. He had no clue the biker was there... why would you expect someone to be beside you when they clearly shouldn't be. I do feel bad for the rider, I wouldn't wish injury on anyone, this short straightaway is a marked 50, with a 20k bend coming up and people come out of EH road all the time without stopping before they enter onto Marine Dr. Such a crazy risk for such a quick moment of fun....he was airlifted out....the fire dept took 25 minutes to get to him and their station is less then 8 minutes away....paramedics as well took some time, and then apparently they had to get the truck lifted off him to get him out from underneath it. So sad...for everyone involved, my client and her family are now terrified for me, and for those they know that ride bikes. The investigation took all day and they were forced to stay home as they were unable to get their cars out of the driveway to go anywhere....Ride smart and Play safe at anytime of year!! It may be boring but you'll get in more days of riding!:rider
Oh and I was one of the few out for a ride yesterday....had a blast!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.