BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Fatal bike accident in Delta

5K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  mr.ping 
#1 ·
http://www.news1130.com/more.jsp?content=20091112_212211_956

EAST DELTA (NEWS1130) - A woman has been killed in an accident in East Delta Thursday afternoon. Crews are still investigating the crash on Highway 10 between Scott Road and 104 Avenue.

Constable Sharlene Brooks tells News1130 the accident happened around 5:50 p.m. "The collision involved a car and a motorcycle. Unfortunately, an adult female has been pronounced [dead] at the scene and two others are transported to hospital with non-life threatening injuries."

Earlier, one caller to News1130 described the roadway as a mess. "There was at least two cars involved; one small black car with the side ripped right off and the motorcycle was lying on its side, looking pretty devastated."
odds are a female rider, I assume?

RIP.

#3 ·
Saw pictures on the news, car looks like it was T boned on the passenger side. Report made no mention of what happened.
Always sad to hear of another rider fatality.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
I was out in Steveston tonight, and saw all the cop cars blocking the road. We had to detour down to 64th, rather than highway 10.

That corner is pretty ugly on a bike. Going down the hill from Scott Rd, it is quite steep, curves to the left, and is covered in tar snakes, big rig oil, truck ruts etc. Not to mention the speeds are all over the place. Cars doing 100+, trucks struggling up the hill, etc. Coming back up the hill is just as greasy, and last week, it was covered in gravel. I had a little slippy moment on my way home. They've also recently repainted some of the lines on the road there. Lots of traffic, and distractions with limited grip. Not a good place.

RIP rider. :(

#11 ·
Roads in delta are terrible, Nordel being a pseudo hwy, with no lights.

Scott and River Road feeder routes are pretty rough.

#24 ·
don't be so quick to judge - it's pretty friggen cold these dyas so she must have been layered up somewhat. By the sounds if it not a whole heck of a lot of protection would have saved her ... but then, many times it's simply a 'roll of the dice'.

To wit: the woman who tried so hard to get herself and her husband on flight 447 from Brazil (the one that went down killing everone on board) and couldn't get squeezed on (thus saving their hides), but which woman died in a vehicle mishap ONE WEEK LATER when she and her husband crashed ...

Her time was up - sometimes it just is.

#26 ·
Gear works only so much in 'collision' type of accidents. It does help a lot in single vehicle involved low/high side type of accidents.

RIP, condolences to the friends and family.

#27 ·
Regarding gear, well put.
The reason motorcycle racers are able to survive very high speed accidents is because they rarely collide with anything hard other than the ground. Their lateral speed may be great, but their vertical speed is not that significant to cause major injuries. Also a great reason to take the racing to the track, and not on a mountain road where trees and other hard objects abound.

Fact is people die in car crashes with each other and going off road - and you cannot get much more protective gear than a cage.

My condolences to the families.

#29 ·
nice - I feel so 'safe' riding on our streets, considering the stringent and exceptionally 'tight' driving instruction/testing regimen in this country

:canadian :flashy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.