: Close call



Jared
03-25-2002, 04:43 AM
I don't know how many people that this has happened to but I if this has happened to you tell me your story. Anyway, I was pulling into work yesterday at 8:00 PM as I started work at 8:30 and as I am pulling in I take a sharp right turn while I was going slow to pull into the parking lot, at that moment the bike tips over rightside and at that moment my heart jumps into my throat and I think to myself "There is no way that I am dropping my brand new bike". So anyway, I manage to muster up this strength that I never thought I had (Must have been adrenaline) and manage to hold the bike up an inch from the ground with one leg and with the rest of the strength I had I pulled the bike back up. Man, was I relieved that I did not drop it. If anyone else has had a similiar situation tell me about yours.

Ryan R
03-25-2002, 07:23 AM
I have been there man, only when I did it I stopped on a hill to turn around and when I was turning I went to put my foot down and since it was on a hill my foot had a lot more distance till it reached the ground. I started going over with the bike and then I just gassed it and leaned over and it straightened right back out. Scared the $h!t outta me :eek

adamantium
03-25-2002, 08:46 AM
I've done similar.. I think a lot of us have, or will be doing it in the near future. :p

I left my disc brake lock on, and went to pull out. Unforutentely she came down to fast and I wasn't able to stop it before it hit the ground... all I could was slow the descent and it was a very soft landing..

CG
03-25-2002, 09:01 AM
yup, all the time, i'll either slip on some gravel backing out or something and struggle to keep it from falling over. Give it a nice heave and she's up again.... It's amazing how light our bikes feel when upright, but the minute they tip over, they are so damn heavy....

Bluestone
03-25-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Jared
I don't know how many people that this has happened to but I if this has happened to you tell me your story. Anyway, I was pulling into work yesterday at 8:00 PM as I started work at 8:30 and as I am pulling in I take a sharp right turn while I was going slow to pull into the parking lot, at that moment the bike tips over rightside and at that moment my heart jumps into my throat and I think to myself "There is no way that I am dropping my brand new bike". So anyway, I manage to muster up this strength that I never thought I had (Must have been adrenaline) and manage to hold the bike up an inch from the ground with one leg and with the rest of the strength I had I pulled the bike back up. Man, was I relieved that I did not drop it. If anyone else has had a similiar situation tell me about yours.

Hey Jared, sounds like you used your front brakes while you had your handle bars turned!! Don't worry, we've all done it. I was lucky enough to have done that on my 250, which was much lighter.

Human
03-25-2002, 09:34 AM
well mine's kinda funny too....I wash the bike and then lazily dump the hose onto one side of the driveway, go for a quick spin to make sure everything's good, I come back and stupidly go over the hose and wet driveway,my front end slips, was turning as well, I manage to save the bike by sticking my foot under neath the engine cover fall to the ground with the bike on top of my foot.

Luckily was wearing my riding jacket and boots...though the bike is slowly hurting my ankle, I kill the engine and then realize that there is no way I am going to be able to pick up the bike from this angle and nog get any scratches on it...so I turn the bike back on and honk and honk and honk, flash my lights, I am like outside in my freaking drive way and stuck....finally after screaming my brother in law comes out and calmy goes what is it....I literally have to say I need some help before he goes "Ho Shit" and helps me pick up the bike.....pretty much no damage to the bike just one tiny scratch to the can couldn't even see it, only by feel.....

CG
03-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Human
well mine's kinda funny too....I wash the bike and then lazily dump the hose onto one side of the driveway, go for a quick spin to make sure everything's good, I come back and stupidly go over the hose and wet driveway,my front end slips, was turning as well, I manage to save the bike by sticking my foot under neath the engine cover fall to the ground with the bike on top of my foot.

Luckily was wearing my riding jacket and boots...though the bike is slowly hurting my ankle, I kill the engine and then realize that there is no way I am going to be able to pick up the bike from this angle and nog get any scratches on it...so I turn the bike back on and honk and honk and honk, flash my lights, I am like outside in my freaking drive way and stuck....finally after screaming my brother in law comes out and calmy goes what is it....I literally have to say I need some help before he goes "Ho Shit" and helps me pick up the bike.....pretty much no damage to the bike just one tiny scratch to the can couldn't even see it, only by feel.....

:eek :eek you know you love your bike when you risk your body to save it from getting a scratch.... I think the best story I heard was some guy saw his bike was tipping over while on the side-stand or something, and he jumped and landed under his bike before it fell on him.... then he was asked why he did it, and said something like the medical bills are far cheaper than replacing damaged fairings :) :laughing :laughing

BCSBADMIN
03-25-2002, 09:53 AM
So far I've been lucky (knocking on wood).. but I think it has something to do with the size of my legs.

The only time I came close I stuck stuck my foot out, planted it and stood up.. ;)

Jim.

RoadBlur
03-25-2002, 10:30 AM
Heh Jared, well as you know I dumped mine a few weeks back. Unfortunately I didn't have the strength to keep it up and stepped out after a brief attempt. My herculean effort of the day was trying not to cry! haha

Time to do some squats!

adamantium
03-25-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim
So far I've been lucky (knocking on wood).. but I think it has something to do with the size of my legs.

The only time I came close I stuck stuck my foot out, planted it and stood up.. ;)


Ya ya, ok buddy. Mr. I'm-huge. :D

When we were at the Yamaha dealer in langley the other day and you mentioned how light those quads were, and picked it up to demonstrate, I thought, oh wow, maybe they are really light, and when I tried, it didn't seem to lift quite as easily for me.
:ghost

TeeTee
03-25-2002, 11:40 AM
Yeah, when the day comes that I turn down a dark alley and see the glint of evil eyes in the dark I want to have someone like Jim there with me :D

That reminds me of a T shirt I once saw. It said" I'm a bomb tech, If you see me running try to keep up"

Basilla
03-25-2002, 12:19 PM
My closest call was turning left from a stop at an intersection only to have my engine die on my while leaned over. I clutched in and stomped my leg down and saved it, but my knees were sore for a week! I then switched to reserve post haste.

blazinr6
03-25-2002, 12:55 PM
i wasnt lucky enough to save mine in time...i had just bought my brand new R6 and had it delivered. bikes can never be clean enough so i pulled it into the driveway to give it a wash...i finished washing and started to push it into the garage, leaving the kickstand down...sure enough, the kickstsand catches on the hose which i left out and the bike falls away from me...i grab the bars on my side and heave - only to have the bike fall slower, with me on top of it...my body actually broke the turn signal and mirror and increased damage on the other side as well...next time, i'll just let it go:( :mad

bl1tz
03-25-2002, 04:38 PM
i had something SIMILIAR happen but i dropped it:D

SMZ
03-26-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by bl1tz
i had something SIMILIAR happen but i dropped it:D

ya and I had the opportunity of being right there. A few more inches and you would've taken mine with you. Lucky all the boys were there to help you pick it up. Anything to help the ladies. :D

Jamie A
03-26-2002, 10:27 AM
Ive dropped mine about 5 times since ive had it. Last time was about two weeks ago. Hahahaha. But every time it falls, I support it about an inch off the ground, and muster up strength that i did not know i had.