View Full Version : The Mystique of Arai

KO7
01-31-2003, 04:19 AM
I posted this on cycleforums, but here it is again for those new to the sport who are shopping for a helmet and think that they absolutely need to buy Arai. :

I used to absolutely adore the name "Arai" because it's a big name in racing, it's the most expensive so it HAS to be the best, all the local cool guys and girls have em, ppl have Arai stickers on their bikes and backpacks and stuff..... so of course I had to buy one.

But after really knowing the bike industry and community, I realized it's "ok" to not have Arai. Especially after the stunt they pulled with the internet sales, and finding out how good other helmets are for a fraction of the cost, I don't think my next helmet will be an Arai unless I get a REALLY good deal on one.

If I were to choose again, I'd probably go with a KBC VR-1, but first I'd try out all the helmets ROOF included definitely.

I'm not saying Arai helmets are bad (far from it), but just letting people know it's ok to look at other helmets if money may be an issue and image is not.

CoolDaddyGroove
01-31-2003, 07:39 AM
Grab and Arai, turn it upside down, place hand on either side grasping the sides and push /pull.............feel the flex?

Now do the same thing on a less expensive helmet................boing! Very flexy = cheap thin materials.

Usually visor designs are much more durable on better helmets as well. Suomy's for example have a tendancy to pop off.........with an Arai, you can abuse the visor, flipping it up and down without worry of it coming loose.

Double R
01-31-2003, 08:55 AM
Ahhh I feel so much better now *grabs and hugs Arai helm*

Seriously, the only complaint I have about Arais is the noise levels at speed. Gotta wear earplugs or you'll lose your hearing!

Mischa
01-31-2003, 09:02 AM
Steve Crevier wears an HJC. Now really...do I need an Arai? Most definetly not!

DNAspark99
01-31-2003, 10:06 AM
...but arai has pretty pictures painted on the side...

...really nice to look at while drinking coffee, I'm sure.

gimme a bucket with two holes cut out, I'll start my own over-priced helmet company!

adamantium
01-31-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Mischa
Steve Crevier wears an HJC. Now really...do I need an Arai? Most definetly not!

Can you say 'sponsor'?

I like arai's. I'll stick with them - they fit my head good. I've tried others and not been nearly as satisfied with fit and finish.

cosworth
01-31-2003, 10:12 AM
Helmet shells don't mean shit. I've been wearing helemts every day of my life since 1982. The saving grace is in the chin strap and the foam type/construction inside. Imagine a carbon fibre helmet with feathers for foam padding. Wear that at 299 kph?

I own a KBC VR-1 Euro and WILL not pay more than $500 for a helmet.

Double R
01-31-2003, 10:37 AM
If they're both DOT & SNELL approved I'm thinking all brands measure up equal in terms of protection. So I guess it really comes down to fit and comfort. Too bad I gots a more expensiver shaped noggin

F4!
01-31-2003, 12:18 PM
yea, the only thing to look for in a helmet is DOT or SNELL approval...and of coz fit.

HPMan
01-31-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by F4!
yea, the only thing to look for in a helmet is DOT or SNELL approval...and of coz fit.

Not necessarily. Just because two different helmets both pass DOT and SNELL does not mean they have equal protective properties. DOT and SNELL are just minimum standards tests.

Motorcycle Man
01-31-2003, 02:31 PM
RoadRacing World did a study of head injuries received in motorcycle accidents. For the helmet brands where they had sufficient data, there was no significant difference in the injury rates.

squirly
01-31-2003, 02:37 PM
I love my Arai. I fits great, and so very comfortable. I find that the Arai's have cushier paddng than any other helmet brand. I've tried on other brands, and found IMHO that Shoei's tend to be a little harder and the padding doesn't quite complete in the cheek/jaw area - better for longer faced people. KBC's are a little heavier, but a sharp looking helmet, especially the chrome one (very Battlestar Galactica Cylon). Sharks are innovative, but seem a bit big and bulky.

The visor mechanism in the Arai is simple to use. But then so are the Shoei, HJC and KBC. The Shark ones are interesting, as they have three different mechanisms, and their visor thickness is heavier. I like the fact that I could invert the visor on my knee. Talk about strong Polycarbonate. If they put in that much effort into the visor, the lid must be pretty safe.

I agree that the Arai's and even the Shoei, and now the Sharks are a bit over priced, but I know the attention to rider comfort is there.

"One man's meat is another man's poison." BUY FIT!!!

:p

AliMouse
01-31-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Double R
If they're both DOT & SNELL approved I'm thinking all brands measure up equal in terms of protection. So I guess it really comes down to fit and comfort. Too bad I gots a more expensiver shaped noggin

:D...too bad for me too!!!

Mischa
01-31-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by adamantium
Can you say 'sponsor'?

I like arai's. I'll stick with them - they fit my head good. I've tried others and not been nearly as satisfied with fit and finish.

No shit sherlock. :p I know its his sponsor. But if they were such crap, I'm sure he wouldn't wear them while racing. Just trying to make a point that I don't see how to justify paying for a helmet at that price.

TonyBalgony
01-31-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Mischa
No shit sherlock. :p I know its his sponsor. But if they were such crap, I'm sure he wouldn't wear them while racing. Just trying to make a point that I don't see how to justify paying for a helmet at that price. "No Shit Sherlock"
Thats funny:laughing

Scheme
02-01-2003, 10:14 AM
My new Shoei is miles ahead of my also fairly new HJC in fit and finish. The Arai's i tried on didn't seem to be worth the extra money. They did have softer padding but that was the only noticeable difference i saw. I guess it boils down to what fits you best

Dark()Knight
02-01-2003, 11:54 AM
It's the one piece of equipment you don't want to buy cheap on.
Fit, Finish, DOT, Snell, comfort, graphic...
everything counts.

jonathan
02-02-2003, 10:38 PM
arai is for posers and riceboys.

Miteorite
02-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by jonathan
arai is for posers and riceboys.

care to elaborate?

KawasakiCutekid
02-02-2003, 11:22 PM
yeah Arai is over price.....but they do fit me better....so got to spend the extra $$$

KO7
02-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Darn , I just tried on some helmets the other day, I guess I have an expensive Arai head shape too cuz other helmets don't feel right.

BRETT
02-03-2003, 04:28 AM
HEY no one has yet to bash my AGV. demon top......lol
ps. dont bother trashing my lid....i like it and dont care what others think.....

Twister
02-03-2003, 07:00 AM
Not sure why this is even a topic, and all the poser comments are laughable about the kind of people that wear an arai helmet. Wear what you like, if you feel safe in a HJC or whatever your helmet of choice is so be it, what do I care.
When I went looking for a helmet, I tried not to purchase Arai; I have always owned an Arai from the time I was 16, right they are expensive, so I tried to buy a less expensive helmet, no luck. The attention to detail, quality of build and fit and finish on the arai could not be matched by any other helmet company. Everything else seemed uncomfortable and not very safe. I guess you get what you pay for!
I did not make the Vancouver Motorcycle show, but did go to the Seattle show, and the only helmet manufacturer that was at that show was Arai, giving out what ever you needed, new cheek pads, new side panel, and so on. A company with customer service and stands behind the product they sell, I value that and will pay the extra buck for this level of no hassle warranty, and most of all quality.

Scheme
02-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Maybe i don't have that killer sense of good build quality but I didn't notice anything better on the Arai's then the Shoe's i was looking at. However the Arai was much better then the HJC i have. I'm just curious what this magnificent build quality is that you are all talking about (that makes Arai better than Shoei). Enlighten me.

ThuncH
07-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Not to come down on any helmet,but price does not seem to matter in regards to safety.
Check it out

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/

Mighty Kentor
07-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Wow, six years later, the debate continues. ;)

ThuncH
07-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Started a new threadhttps://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Mighty Kentor
07-17-2009, 12:49 AM
:laughing

Some people do that on purpose!

runerider
07-19-2009, 06:15 PM
when i purchased my helmet i now own i beleive i tried on six different manufacturers. i bought my arai because of how much i liked the visor and most importantly the fit. it was made for my head when i tried it on. no other helmet fit better(and it is plain silver, i do not like flash)

DRNJ
07-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I tried on every helmet I could find in the $400-$500 range; I went with an Arai because it was the lightest, most comfortable and fit me the best--plus it didn't have nasty graphics. The weight for me was the biggest selling point for me though

Downsides? It's LOUD and fogs up like no tomorrow. It fogs up on summer mornings sometimes.

When it comes time for another helmet, I will likely try another brand. Shark was a close second for me, great fit too

JoeNinja67
07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I have an HJC CL-15, and it fits great and isn't that heavy (for me).
I was looking at an Arai or Shoei, but I can't believe how expensive they are. Are they that much lighter and better??

DRNJ
07-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Best way to know is try some on in a store; walk around for a while and see for yourself.

It's all a matter of opinion and comfort.

I've swapped helmets with someone who wears the same size as me and my helmet instantly received a 'wow, comfortable' when compared to their lower-end HJC.

There is a difference for sure; but you have to look at the pricing too. Compare a similar-priced HJC to my model of Arai and I'm sure there will only be minor differences.

Son of Lars
07-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, that's something that doesn't come up often in these threads. Hjc makes different levels of quality in their lids. They have an entry level line that can't come close to an Arai, or even a Shoei. But they're more expensive lids are every bit as nice. I've owned Arai in the way back past, but I'm super happy with my Hjc CL-SP.

Shovelhead
07-20-2009, 07:31 AM
I......and fogs up like no tomorrow.
It fogs up on summer mornings sometimes.

The Arai visor has a little tab on the bottom left, slide it and the visor will stay about 1/8" open and will not fog.

A friend of mine wiped out on the way down to laguna, wrecked his Arai, but saved his head, No pain, no headaches, nothing.... now he has a new Arai replacement.

The most important thing to remember is a perfect fit,
equal pressure on all head contacts.

No matter what helmet you wear, If you have an improperly fitted helmet, it won't do the job as intended.

As a parallel, if you have a small weenie,
you wouldn't wear Xlarge condoms, would you?

kelaog
07-20-2009, 09:22 AM
rofl! I have an HJC CL-SP and I'm happy with it except that my neck cramps up when I'm full tuck. Probably from supporting the weight of the damned thing.

However my friend Jenny has an Arai and it's much nicer than my helmet in every way. Shoei I find just as nice.

If I had to buy a new helmet. I'd still probably go with Arai or Shoei.

Measuredpath
07-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I love my ARAI helmet for fit, comfort and added features. Yes, they do come with a premium, but if you get a deal on it then go for it. I almost got a SHOEI, but the price difference for the deal I was getting was to hard to pass up. I also only buy helmets that are SNELL rated and have the option to be taken apart internally for cleaning.

6thGear
07-21-2009, 11:28 PM
I love my Arai. It fits me the best.

The most important thing to remember is a perfect fit,
equal pressure on all head contacts.

No matter what helmet you wear, If you have an improperly fitted helmet, it won't do the job as intended.

The BEST helmet advice ever or any gear that you would wear for that matter.

Incantation
07-21-2009, 11:58 PM
cl-sp is a top heavy piece of shit. i hate that lid. big fishbowl too. so glad i got rid of mine