View Full Version : Meeting places

Over40
04-01-2002, 12:14 PM
I havenít ridden with any BCSB members yet but I have been reading all the threads regarding upcoming rides. I have ridden with many groups in the past and I have this suggestion regarding meeting places. You need to have only one or maybe two meeting places at the most. Gas stations are preferred because of the open space and most people need to fill up or check their tires. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to get a group of riders coming from all areas to meet up at different places. One guy will inevitably be late, which will cause the whole group to be late with their rendezvous with another group. And of course, one BCSB members friendís friend will want to come too and heíll cause the entire group to sidetrack to another meeting place and so on and so on. I have experienced with this exact scenario and have spent more time waiting than riding.

So far it seems like the group rides are quite organized but once the weather turns really nice, expect to see 30 or more bikes at a BCSB ride. The group I generally ride with always meet at the Chevron station on Boundary road (Burnaby side) just north of Grandview Highway. This place offers a central location for riders coming from most Lower Mainland areas and it is very accessible. It also offers a central location from which to start the rides from. There is no other meeting place.

Regarding meeting times, the meeting time should be the departure time. If you want to spend some time talking about bikes with your fellow riders, then show up EARLY. Having a departure time reinforces to everybody not to come late and it allows for much easier scheduling. You snooze you lose. Also having a departure time allows one large group to meet up with the next large group (should you have to do this).

I hope this helps everybody.

Over40
04-01-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Almost40
.. The group I generally ride with always meet at the Chevron station on Boundary road (Burnaby side) just north of Grandview Highway.

make that South of Grandview Highway.

eg_hybrid
04-01-2002, 12:21 PM
Almost 40,

I ride with the same guys... maybe we have met before?
Are you talking about the early, EARLY morning rides?

Over40
04-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by eg_hybrid
Almost 40,

I ride with the same guys... maybe we have met before?
Are you talking about the early, EARLY morning rides?

"half breed kid" ...Buchman? It's Gene here. Silver 955i street, blue R1 track.

I've been meeting at Chevron at 6:00 Sunday mornings since '98.
It started with 2 guys and now there are about 25.

eg_hybrid
04-01-2002, 12:45 PM
Haha.. yup. The younger one though.
It's Mark.

Have the morning rides resumed this season?
Planning many track days this season?

"half breed kid" ...Buchman? It's Gene here. Silver 955i street, blue R1 track.

I've been meeting at Chevron at 6:00 Sunday mornings since '98.
It started with 2 guys and now there are about 25.

blazinr6
04-01-2002, 12:55 PM
I've got to agree with almost40...i'm not insured yet but i've been reading all the ride posts and they seem really disorganized with regards to meet time/place...it is much easier to just have one or two as he suggests

Over40
04-01-2002, 01:45 PM
Haha.. yup. The younger one though.
It's Mark.

Have the morning rides resumed this season?
Planning many track days this season?

Hi Mark...the younger fast-gun.

So far I haven't really ridden much this year. Same problem - no time. I'm not sure about Sunday mornings. I'm a bit hesitant to show up due to all the recent traffic fatalities and crackdown on "street racers". I can see an officer pulling all of us over and incorrectly issuing roadside suspensions on the spot.

I plan to attend 10 or so trackdays. I'm sure we'll see each other on the track. Hopefully you'll be seeing the back of me.....;)

eg_hybrid
04-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Hey Gene, I didn't know you had a OWO1. Was it the sweet pink and white paint scheme like Julians?? Haha.

I hear you about the morning rides. The speeding tickets are basically the reason for not showing up (1 speeding ticket = 1 track day) as well as the ice cold tarmac and lukewarm tires. Though i do miss seeing the guys.

As for the track days. Ya, you basically gave me a whooping at SIR. (my excuse: dangerous track!!). You should come out to some of the PIR and Spokane days we have during the year. Safer, sweeter tarmac and more run off room. Not to mention waaay more track time.

Anywho, take care man.

Hi Mark...the younger fast-gun.

So far I haven't really ridden much this year. Same problem - no time. I'm not sure about Sunday mornings. I'm a bit hesitant to show up due to all the recent traffic fatalities and crackdown on "street racers". I can see an officer pulling all of us over and incorrectly issuing roadside suspensions on the spot.

I plan to attend 10 or so trackdays. I'm sure we'll see each other on the track. Hopefully you'll be seeing the back of me.....;)

eg_hybrid
04-01-2002, 01:56 PM
BTW, Pauls getting married in July so i'll DEFINITELY be the faster brother now!:)

Flag
04-01-2002, 02:09 PM
I ride with a group of guys and we work with the departure time theory also (usually with about 5 min grace) Also, we have a meeting place which works great for Sea to Sky rides. We use the parking lot in the back of the church on Taylor Way at uppper levels highway. Another good meeting spot for rides to the east (or Baker) is the BCIT parking lot on Willingdon just south of HWY 1.

Over40
04-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Hey Gene, I didn't know you had a OWO1. Was it the sweet pink and white paint scheme like Julians?? Haha.

No it was red/white with blue trim. You wouldn't know, you were still in diapers;)

eg_hybrid
04-01-2002, 02:42 PM
*Ouch*
Ok. I'll make sure you get a real good look at MY dipers next time you're at Spokane or PIR.:)

No it was red/white with blue trim. You wouldn't know, you were still in diapers;)

atomlowe
04-01-2002, 11:03 PM
You've got great points Almost40. We're completely open to setting standard meeting points but they're mainly up to the riding group. But BCSB is a portal to possibly hundreds of riders, it's more-so up to the the individuals for that ride. I have suggested gas stations off of major roadways in the past and do believe that its a great idea. I'll start a new thread for comments from all of the members.

Thanks for your comments,

atom

Miteorite
04-01-2002, 11:46 PM
one meeting place seems good if it's a weekly type of event..
however so far most of the rides have been organized a day or so in advance so a set point doesn't really make sense.
for instance today's harrison ride..
digi was coming in from work so it was convinient for him to meet 232 Chevron..
i had no plans but didn't know how to get there so I met up with C_G at Chevron on #5 in richmond. If you wanna go for a ride things like meeting places for in place by themselves :)
-d

BRETT
04-01-2002, 11:54 PM
hey what ever works ill go with it...as long as we can get a couple
of centeralized locals....:tredmill

bc_bud
04-02-2002, 06:29 PM
count me in also :)