View Full Version : Kilometres...

Sarkastik
04-03-2002, 12:03 AM
On average, how many clicks are put on a bike per year or per season? If I was looking to buy a used bike, what should I be expecting when it comes to kilometres?

Kit
04-03-2002, 12:06 AM
that can vary hugely, some guys ride almost all year and can put 15000 plus ks on a bike in one year while others may only put on 2000ks like me

sorry i guess thats not much help:D

CG
04-03-2002, 12:06 AM
i average 1000 km a month, I ride year round.

blazinr6
04-03-2002, 12:08 AM
i usually do around 5000-6000kms per season (approx. 6 mos.)

Sarkastik
04-03-2002, 12:09 AM
It's all good. Ya, I know it varies, but sometimes people ride their bikes a lot but don't take care of them that well. And in that case, if there is a lot of clicks on the bike, the bike should be a little bit cheaper right?

Sarkastik
04-03-2002, 12:12 AM
Ya that's right, just post up how much each of you ride, so I can get a general knowledge it.

CG
04-03-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Genuine
It's all good. Ya, I know it varies, but sometimes people ride their bikes a lot but don't take care of them that well. And in that case, if there is a lot of clicks on the bike, the bike should be a little bit cheaper right?

just cause a bike has more mileage doesn't mean it hasn't been looked after, it can be the opposite.... the owner will have to keep care of it if they want to ride it all the time.... unlike some people who store the bikes and ignore them during the winter months.... but if the bike has been ridden year round all the time and looks in decent shape, then it probably is in decent shape (I hope, can't say the same for mine now hehehe :( )

Kit
04-03-2002, 12:16 AM
CG is totally right, i am storing a 1999 r6 in my garage it has around 4000kms on it which is nothing but it hasnt had an oil change, chain lube, etc in two years!!!!

it hasnt even been washed

my friend is so damn lazy i dont want to help him do Sh*t

blazinr6
04-03-2002, 12:18 AM
i agree with kit....i'm more worried about bikes with really low kms which have been in "storage" for a long time...often the people who don't make use of their bikes are the ones who neglect to maintain them

Human
04-03-2002, 12:39 AM
I don't think you can really tell by the kms...I mean my first bike was a 1995, I bought it in 2000 with 5,000kms on it, I added another 22,000 kms before my accident....then I had my 2001 blue ZX6R, I put 15,000kms on it in the 3 months I had it....I used to ride all year till my accident made insurance very $$$ but when I do I ussually put 1,000kms in a week. Tomorrow will be 1 week since I insured the bike and I am already over 1,000kms....it depends on how you maintain the bike too....

bugs
04-03-2002, 01:15 AM
On average, how many clicks are put on a bike per year or per season? If I was looking to buy a used bike, what should I be expecting when it comes to kilometres?
What I found from selling bikes is that it all boils down to the previous owner. When I went riding this monday, we followed two guys that just fooled around with their bike, wheelies every minute, stoppies and all. Battering a bike like that will definatly affect its lifespan. Even if the bike had low kms, I would still worry a bit. I guess, riding the bike and feeling for potential stutters and squeeks can determine its shape.

Lugan
04-03-2002, 01:42 AM
I'm with Mr Bugs on this one, a lot of it has to do with how the bike was taken care of, but also stay away from high mileage rides. The reality is there are no real "deals", if something is cheap it's cheap for a reason. Don't let your emotions get the best of you when looking to buy something, instead post the info here, and at the least you'll get valuable feedback, and maybe even a few people willing to go look at bikes with you. Generally speaking, stay away from anything made in the 80's, and be cautious of early 90's. The thing to remember is in the history of motorcycling, reliability is a recent development, where all else took precedence. Also (hate to generalize) the typical sportbike is riden by a person inclined to push the bike hard... helping the new bike market!

scooter6r
04-03-2002, 07:40 AM
this might be a little off topic but i have 45000 kms on my bike.i haven't had any problems with it.But I also take good care of her.Regular maintenance is the key.

Harps
04-03-2002, 10:34 AM
I put on about 8,000km-10,000kms per season...I usually ride about 8 months out of the year. I put on alittle more last season, because I uninsured my car during the summer months.

My last bike (1993 ZX-6E) had about 38,000kms on it when I sold it. Now a friend has it, and it stays in my garage, so I still see it all the time. This bike has always been well taken care of...oil changes every 3,000kms (synthetic), fluids and tyres are always checked and filled, chain is always lubed, valves adjusted and carbs synced at proper intervals, always washed/cleaned/waxed, etc. This bike has not missed a beat, despite it's somewhat high kms. You'll probably see it at some BCSB rides, Sewman's bike. Take a ook at it, you'd think it was a '98 6E with no more than 10,000kms on the clock.

thr1
04-03-2002, 10:38 AM
i only put 2300kms on it cause i had it for only 2 months during riding season...probably put at least 5000km on this season

TeeTee
04-03-2002, 12:21 PM
Normal year for me is about 6K to 7K. But I've been pretty enthusiastic over the last few years what with new bikes and all so it's gone up to 10 or 12K. Lots of trips though and that really puts it on....

High mileage up to a point is not a bad thing if the bike has been maintained as the others have said.

But I'd start looking elsewhere when I see 50 to 60K klicks. At that point other things are starting to get worn or loose like clutches, cam chains and a few other things. Strangley enough with the new rings, liners and bearings the ring and wall wear is not really an issue any more assuming regular oil changes.

But any really older or high mileage bikes should have a lot of things done before you decide to trust your ass to them. My favourite place to start on older bikes is the braking system. I've seen more than one skeleton in those calipers on bikes older than 8 or 9 years.

But if you stay with stuff 5 to 6 years or newer and less than 35000 klicks it will greatly reduce what you want to do before riding far.

What kind of bike are you looking for?

Sarkastik
04-03-2002, 01:06 PM
I don't know exactly what kind of bike I'm going to get. But it will be a 600. I was thinking about getting something in the early 90's something that I can afford, like 4-5 g's. I'm going to see how all the different 600's fit, see which one is the most comfortable. Cuz I'm like 6'7", most say get a VFR 800, but I can't afford those right now, and even like the early 90's VFR 750's are more pricey than the other 600's. I was thinking maybe a Honda F2. Any bike for me is going to be small in size, but I gotta start somewhere and I guess Honda's are the best for that.

Sarkastik
04-03-2002, 01:09 PM
I was just wondering about the kilometres thing because BK has or had a 1991 Honda CBR 600 F2 which had like 65,000 clicks on it. Priced at $4299.

blazinr6
04-03-2002, 01:22 PM
i had an 89 fzr once with 75000 kms on it and it never gave me a problem...then again, i knew the previous owner and how well he maintained it...i guess it simply comes down to that, but as bmatthews said, i'd be wary of bikes with that kind of kilometers

R1 GIRL
04-03-2002, 03:18 PM
I bought my R6 in mid-July of 2001, took her off the road mid-October of 2001, thats about 3 months of riding. I had 8,000 on her when I sold her, after only a couple quick trips this year. Guess I ride a lot? I don't even ride the bike to work... tee hee!!!

I will ride my R1 to work this year though, since I recently moved to Surrey, makes the commute more fun. I miss the 10 minutes it used to take me to get to work. :spinsmile

Harps
04-03-2002, 03:58 PM
I was just wondering about the kilometres thing because BK has or had a 1991 Honda CBR 600 F2 which had like 65,000 clicks on it. Priced at $4299.

Genuine, that F2 they got there looks bunk. Have you asked any of the guys there about the bike? It looks like it's in pretty rough shape...but maybe okay for having 65K. I think it's been crashed...whne I sat on it, something felt odd. I used to have an F2, and my old bike just felt "straighter" than that one. I think one of the clip-ons was pushed down a bit or something. But I think that getting an F2 is certainly a great idea. Lots of leg room and high handle bars for a supersport. Also might want to look into a Kawasaki ZX-6E. It doesn't have as much leg room, but the bike feels pretty big and long. More upright feeling, high bars. It has more grunt than the F2, but doesn't handle as well. Way more comfortable seat too.

Sarkastik
04-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Naw I didn't ask about the bike, just saw it in the buy and sell. I'm actually thinking about getting something a bit newer now.

Hu99
04-03-2002, 07:35 PM
I do about 10,000km a year and I ride from April to October.

James
04-03-2002, 10:09 PM
I did about 8k last year, but I only started in January, and got my license about September...

This year I expect in the 20k+ area since I lack a car and have some big trips planned.

Digi168
04-04-2002, 09:59 AM
Last year I did about 9000K but was without a bike for almost 2 months.

Since mid Feb. this year to today with the lousy weather only 2300KM, but I expect around 15 - 20 K by the end of summer.