View Full Version : I lost a race to a cager today.

Sewman
04-04-2002, 12:27 AM
Okay, I'm not one to street race considering all the shit that's been going down, but this was a friendly little 1st and 2nd gear one.

I had my girlfriend on the back of my Kawi so I wasn't about to do anything stupid.

I went for a ride on my Zx-6E tonight along with Harps on his Dad's Ducati Monster. Great night. Just as we were leaving the UBC twisties towards that long straight away, I saw some lights coming on fast, so I got out of the way. I heard a sound that is very hard to describe, and probably one I won't get a chance to hear for a long time to come. It was new 911 Turbo with some sort of exhaust at full throttle. I think my eyebrows fell off when this thing went by.

So we caught up to this thing and wouldn't ya know it...red light. No traffic and no intersecting streets for a few blocks. I tap my girlfriend to hang on. So on green he feathers the clutch and then just drops the hammer. What a crazy bellow from that porshe. It made my Muzzy sound like a lawn mower.
I didn't really floor it off the line, but I gave her good in 2nd gear. I shifted to 3rd and shut it off. The porsche was probably a good 4 car lengths ahead by the time I really leaned into it. Couldn't real him in.

If there's any car that I wouldn't mind losing to, it's that one.

blazinr6
04-04-2002, 12:30 AM
If there's any car that I wouldn't mind losing to, it's that one.

i guess i agree with that

on an unrelated note; how much does your girlfriend weigh??

:laughing :laughing

j/k man

Sewman
04-04-2002, 12:35 AM
My Japanese girlfriend weighs in at about 460-470 pounds wet. :evilgrin

My other girlfriend is a twig at about 95 pounds. :D

Miteorite
04-04-2002, 12:35 AM
hmm for the cost of the 911 turbo you can probably buy yourself a different bike for different day of the month... :laughing

bl1tz
04-04-2002, 04:26 AM
you need to get rid of the E (damn economy) in the ZX6 and replace it with one that ends in R (for racing) :D

Ryan R
04-04-2002, 08:21 AM
Those are fast cars and chances are that the one you raced was All wheel drive. If not you probably would have had the jump on him.

thr1
04-04-2002, 09:53 AM
those 911 turbo's are AWD and they go like stink but if you were alone and hammered your bike you would have beaten him(barely)

Harps
04-04-2002, 11:47 AM
I don't think Sewman was going all out anyways...You don't want to do anything too crazy with a passenger on the back. I was watching, you could have gone harder.

Damn, I might have had a chance if I was riding my ZX-6R...the Ducati just doesn't cut it against the big AWD German H6s.

I was glad to find out that the guy driving the car was someone that looked like he could afford it...not some little 20 year old punk with rich parents.

R1 GIRL
04-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Harps
I was glad to find out that the guy driving the car was someone that looked like he could afford it...not some little 20 year old punk with rich parents.

OooOOoOoooohhhhhhh... :p

Human
04-06-2002, 05:22 AM
umm...I am with Harps on this, you should have held the revs. till 7,000rpm then then drop it and gun till 11,000, shift, 11,000, shift....I am sure you would have had him till you shifted into 3rd but then his top speed would have killed you.....

The 911 Turbo, 470hp approx. not only has AWD but most likely triptronic gear system with the F1 stlye gear change paddles....

Harps. you on a monster 900 ? 600 ? 620i ?

LimitedEdition
04-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Harps

Hahaha, have you seen the 19 year old with the Ferrari 360 Modena =) I think u would be pretty pissed off :cool How about 3 2002 M3's all parked in the same Richmond CS parking lot? It's crazy what money is out there these days!!

Kit
04-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Human
umm...I am with Harps on this, you should have held the revs. till 7,000rpm then then drop it and gun till 11,000, shift, 11,000, shift....I am sure you would have had him till you shifted into 3rd but then his top speed would have killed you.....

The 911 Turbo, 470hp approx. not only has AWD but most likely triptronic gear system with the F1 stlye gear change paddles....

i am assuming since the turbo is a new one it will be a 996 turbo and those have around 420 but if it is souped up it can easily be close to 470 like human said

the all wheel drive will kill a bike on the launch just imagine the size of the contact patch it has compared to a bike

i have fooled around once when tchan was in his 993 turbo and i was on my r6 when we were going for lunch and i am pretty sure i would be able to beat it until i hit around 230+ and then the aerodynamics, power and gearing of his car will go well into 280-300

my and tchan will do this again so we can tell you the outcome

but dont forget that test they did with the gsxr 1000 vs corvetted ZO6 (420 hp)

the GSXR went 0 - 100mph back to 0 before the ZO6 even hit 100mph

maybe time to buy a GSXR 1000 just in case this happens again:)
:D :D

CG
04-06-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Kit

not only that, but the gixxer maintained higher speeds in the corners.... now is a good time to invest in track school :)

mmmmm gixxer 1000 drrroooooooooooooooolll :) :laughing :tredmill

Human
04-06-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Kit

...but dont forget that test they did with the gsxr 1000 vs corvetted ZO6 (420 hp)

bah ! GSXR1000 my ass, with the production based ZXRR or a ZX9R, One would have gone 0-100mph, back to 0 and had an expresso before the ZO6 could reach 100mph ....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Harps
04-06-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Human

The Monster isn't mine, it's my dad's. It's an M750 Chromo...probably the only one you'll ever see. They only made the Chromo version in the 900 model, but my dad wanted the 750 since it was his first bike (in over 20 years) and also for the insurance discount. So RMS traded tanks from an M750 Dark and an M900 Cromo. Ended up with a M750 Chromo. It's a fun bike, but not as quick as a modern 600SS. (or 996 Turbo)

jonathan
04-06-2002, 08:26 PM
bring your bikes to mission raceway.

Many a stang there that would make a turbo porsche look stupid (or any of our SS bikes)

Im hoping when my stang debuts in a couple months I will have a chance to run against a gixxer 1000 or busa or r1 (but im afraid even they wont be any challenge :( :D

Miteorite
04-06-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by jonathan
bring your bikes to mission raceway.

Many a stang there that would make a turbo porsche look stupid (or any of our SS bikes)

Im hoping when my stang debuts in a couple months I will have a chance to run against a gixxer 1000 or busa or r1 (but im afraid even they wont be any challenge :( :D

whoa...do you have a jet engine strapped to the back or something?
or one of the shuttle boosters? :)

jonathan
04-06-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by AlphaQ

whoa...do you have a jet engine strapped to the back or something?
or one of the shuttle boosters? :)

actually the jet engine was welded to the roof.:D

Sewman
04-07-2002, 12:02 AM
I'll running at Mission eventually this season. Be sure to get a post happenin in the Rides forum when you decide to go to Mission Raceway. I'd like to see your stang go!

BRETT
04-07-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by bl1tz
you need to get rid of the E (damn economy) in the ZX6 and replace it with one that ends in R (for racing) :D

i agree with blitz here. not to be mean, just a word to the wise.
get a 6r if you want to try to beat the rich guys out there...
personally i wouldnt suggest it. someone allways gets hurt.
even if it is only there ego...:laughing

tchan748
04-09-2002, 02:58 AM
Interesting story. I have a debate going on with Pat Ma whether our Porsche turbos will be faster than our bikes going up to Squamish in a Sunday morning ride. I just came back from Willow Springs International in California and i saw 3 or 4 Farrari 360 Challenge Cup racecars on the track. We were taking a race school at the smaller track so during break, we decided to time them. I recorded a 1:31 lap which is faster than I can do on my 2001 GSXR600 Supersport racebike. I knew a guy that just started to race on that track this year and he was doing just about the same lap time on his 2001 GSXR600 Supersport machine.
The scary thing about these cagers is the acc. after 100mph. Once they start going they keep on going!! My turbo pulls in 5th gear like it's in 2nd gear...

ps next time at the stoplight try this: hold the rmp around 9 to 10,000 then let the clutch out smoothly and keep rolling on the throttle.

tc

Harps
04-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by tchan748
Interesting story. I have a debate going on with Pat Ma whether our Porsche turbos will be faster than our bikes going up to Squamish in a Sunday morning ride. I just came back from Willow Springs International in California and i saw 3 or 4 Farrari 360 Challenge Cup racecars on the track. We were taking a race school at the smaller track so during break, we decided to time them. I recorded a 1:31 lap which is faster than I can do on my 2001 GSXR600 Supersport racebike. I knew a guy that just started to race on that track this year and he was doing just about the same lap time on his 2001 GSXR600 Supersport machine.
The scary thing about these cagers is the acc. after 100mph. Once they start going they keep on going!! My turbo pulls in 5th gear like it's in 2nd gear...

ps next time at the stoplight try this: hold the rmp around 9 to 10,000 then let the clutch out smoothly and keep rolling on the throttle.

tc

How do you support the habit? I'm serious...I hope to one day be in your positioin of driving exotic cars and riding many sportbikes. :D Please tchan, enlighten me...what is the way of the wealthy? :confused

Kit
04-09-2002, 11:25 AM

tc

ill race you to breakfast again and well see if a 600 can keep up:D

tchan748
04-09-2002, 12:53 PM
ill race you to breakfast

cool. last one buy breakfast...:evilgrin

tc

Kit
04-09-2002, 02:08 PM

cool. last one buy breakfast...:evilgrin

tc

can we team up on you, one rides while the others try and block you :laughing

MaRR
04-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Kit

can we team up on you, one rides while the others try and block you :laughing

block him? that'd mean you'd have to actually get in front of him first. I remember when we were following him on our bikes, and he was pulling pretty hard up boundary. Plus that TC drives like a nut....ahahahhaaha

SMZ
04-09-2002, 04:03 PM
i'd be interested in a little "pull" against taki's car. With my car of course, my bike is slow.

Kit
04-09-2002, 04:54 PM
hell ya i want to see that

ive told tak about your car already, haha

tchan748
04-09-2002, 05:03 PM
easy easy Start ganging up on me already?:2guns You guys should watch Pat Ma driving his Yukon XL w/ the momo steering wheel up to Whistler. We renamed his truck the "Barfmobile"... get the point??:D

tc

Furious Fiero
04-10-2002, 12:41 AM
As a big fan of cars and Sportbikes...I dont see how u all can compare a Bike to a Car. The bikes are like 10 times lighter then any car so of course any car will hardly ever have a chance. But hey, it would be kinda cool to see my favorite car vs. my favorite Superbike... DODGE VIPER VS. DUCATI 996(now the 998!!!!!!!):rider

SMZ
04-10-2002, 01:46 AM
Your evaluation is only limited to short distance races between "stock" cars. IMO any production car should lose to any sportbike 750cc +

however, bikes lose their advantage from a roll against modded cars with top speed gearing like mine (straight line). I am pretty confident that many cars that are modded above mine can toast any 600cc out there. Your argument is also only limited to magazine stats that incorporate professional sportbike racers be it drag, or road course. IMO the avg joe rider can't beat a highly modded car even from a dig. My friend lowell has a talon that destroys bikes off the line, and gets even faster as the distance grows longer. Another example is from my own experience. At the track i ran [email protected] on street tires, while "most" 600cc bikes with joe avg riders run roughly the same time.

I'm not flaming, just stating that rider experiences play an integral role in the bikes performance as we all know. :rider

Kit
04-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by SMZ
Your evaluation is only limited to short distance races between "stock" cars. IMO any production car should lose to any sportbike 750cc +

however, bikes lose their advantage from a roll against modded cars with top speed gearing like mine (straight line). I am pretty confident that many cars that are modded above mine can toast any 600cc out there. Your argument is also only limited to magazine stats that incorporate professional sportbike racers be it drag, or road course. IMO the avg joe rider can't beat a highly modded car even from a dig. My friend lowell has a talon that destroys bikes off the line, and gets even faster as the distance grows longer. Another example is from my own experience. At the track i ran [email protected] on street tires, while "most" 600cc bikes with joe avg riders run roughly the same time.

I'm not flaming, just stating that rider experiences play an integral role in the bikes performance as we all know. :rider

i agree with smz

like anything the rider driver has alot to do with it

i have found that getting a good lauch on a bike is actually harder than launching a car, alot has to do with pure physics

compare the contact patches between the two and also AWD cars have double the advantage, same with track times, i have a feeling that if you put an average driver against an average rider his corner speeds in a decent car may actually be faster than if he was on a bike,

from experience i have noticed that braking and cornering well on a bike takes more skill than in a car,

for another interesting comparison take lap times on a same track between MotoGP riders and F1 the difference is ridiculous

ps this comparison can go on and on, all i know is bikes are more fun:D

CG
04-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by SMZ

yup your right, i've seen Lowell's talon when I went to his shop with a buddy of mine while he was getting some work done on his talon. AWD turbo talons with work done on it like lowell, and they are bike killers in straight lines.... well 600cc bike killers.... but let me spend a few thousand on a turbo system for the gixx or a cheap nos system and then we'll see who wins hehehehee :) :) :)

In fact, I think Jonathan's camero or mustang was it?? will smoke pretty much the majority of our bikes in a straight line....Hey Jonathan, what times are you expecting at mission this year in your car??

jonathan
04-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Canadian_Gixxer

yup your right, i've seen Lowell's talon when I went to his shop with a buddy of mine while he was getting some work done on his talon. AWD turbo talons with work done on it like lowell, and they are bike killers in straight lines.... well 600cc bike killers.... but let me spend a few thousand on a turbo system for the gixx or a cheap nos system and then we'll see who wins hehehehee :) :) :)

In fact, I think Jonathan's camero or mustang was it?? will smoke pretty much the majority of our bikes in a straight line....Hey Jonathan, what times are you expecting at mission this year in your car??

mustang http://mypage.direct.ca/j/jonathanc/jonstanffront.jpg

Should be about as fast as SMZ (give or take 1/10second) on the 1/4 mile on the engine

and should run low 10's or high 9's once I put the nitrous on it (the motor is at a disadvantage when not on the nitrous as the cam and intake are not very well matched for a naturally aspirated engine, they only begin to shine when the nitrous is sprayed (about 250 horsepower worth)

speaking of which I just got the car back from the chassis shop with full 10 point rollcage, plus $1200 worth of chassis reinsforcement for a grand total of $2700 !

Summer of 2004 should see the new turbo 331 stroker + powerglide combo which will make around 1000 horsepower at the wheels (1300 at the engine or so)

and im expecting high 8's. The car and suspension and fuel system and the rest are built for the big power, I just cant afford the engine/tranny right now. 600 horsepower will have to do :D :rider

Kit
04-11-2002, 10:35 AM
nice car, you dont daily drive it do you???

with a car like that i would think you would have a turbo charged busa and not an 4fi:D

jonathan
04-11-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Kit
nice car, you dont daily drive it do you???

with a car like that i would think you would have a turbo charged busa and not an 4fi:D

i drove it daily when it was running low 12's, until fall of 2000 when I took it off the road.

It looks rather different than that picture now, different fiberglass hood, different rims, cage in the interior etc.

Its not the kind of car I would drive to calgary in now.

no power steering or emissions equiptment or stereo etc.

As for the f4i ? well its the best bike for me, Except maybe an rc51
:D