: Front Brake Pads

Frost
04-08-2002, 02:33 PM
I have a 1996 GSXR-750 and I looking to replace the front brake pads. I am looking for a good brake pad that will give me lots of stopping power without killing my disks. Does anyone have any suggestions on brand and model?

Frost

bender
04-08-2002, 04:12 PM
I just put on a set of sbs pads. haven't fully broken them in yet, but they feel nice so far. I got them at north shore suzuki.

a lot of people will tell you to go for the ebc HH pads, but they are probably too much for general street riding. also, they aren't as good in the wet and they wear rotors quicker than oem or sbs pads. it really depends on how you ride though. go talk to the parts guy at north shore suzuki. I think his name is ben. he knows just about everything there is to know about gsxr's and is super helpful.

Frost
04-08-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks Bender
I am a fairly aggressive rider looking for good stopping power. I will have talk to Ben.

VanCity6R
04-08-2002, 04:54 PM
Ben will definately have the answer. I deal with him on a regular basis and he is extremely knowledgable on almost all bikes, especially gixxer's.

tchan748
04-09-2002, 01:31 AM
Performance Frictions pads are the ones i use on my race bikes. A lot of racers in Seattle use it too. Haven't tried the street version but i image it can't be bad.

tc

Frost
04-09-2002, 07:47 AM
I have not heard of that brand. Where would you find them?
Frost

doug
04-09-2002, 10:39 AM
ben at north shore will 100% recommend sbs for the exact reasons bender mentioned. i just replaced my brakes all around a few weeks ago, with sbs ceramics from ben. the cintered pads would probably have given a bit more grab, but at the cost of wearing the rotors faster. i have some brake squeal still, so i will be taking the pads out and chamfering them first chance i get. if you haven't done so, you may want to change your front brake lines to steel braided, and do a brake fluid flush too. the fluid will absorb moisture over time and lose its effectiveness. you can tell if its done by the colour. if its cloudy and dark, it is contaminated. if you have never changed the fluid, change it regardless. better safe than sorry. for the $4 in fluid its not a huge deal.

tchan748
04-09-2002, 12:17 PM
I have not heard of that brand. Where would you find them?

http://www.performancefriction.com/

I don't know any BC dealer that carries them. I buy mine from Eastside Moto in Belllevue. I had a set on my 748 racebike and they lasted about 3 years of racing and trackdays. I just installed a set on my 2001 GSXR600 racebike last year. It takes a while for the pads to set in but it gives you a lot of feel and stopping power. Almost all of the racers i talk to use P.F. pads. That includes racers from Cali, Seattle and Portland area. I don't know if anyone use PF on the street but then again I don't really ask people what they use on the street either. But I suppose if they works on the track, they should work on the street.

tc

Frost
04-09-2002, 03:34 PM
Thanks Monk
Myself and a few friends where looking into getting into racing. How is the GSXR 600 for racing? How does it handle crashes. The reason that I am asking is some of the people that I have been talking to have told me some bikes come out better in a crash then others. We where told that the R6 was a great race bike but did not handle any get off's too good. What is your feelings on this?
Frost

tchan748
04-09-2002, 03:51 PM
How is the GSXR 600 for racing? How does it handle crashes.

ok. this is kinda of the topic of brake pads but i will try to tell you what i know. I "crash tested" the 2001 gixxer twice. Both times losing the rear end and both times the bike caught and flipped in the air. Since then i had it repaired and it is running fine. Bodywork and windscreen are most likely to be damaged. otherwise depending on the type of crash, the usual suspects like clip-ons, footpeg and front fairing bracket are likely to be damaged too. I still say it is cheaper to crash the gixxer than my 748. I had to replace 2 clutch brackets last season on the 748 because i went down on the right side.:(

tc

Frost
04-09-2002, 03:56 PM
I know that the topic is brake pads, but I appriecate the info
Frost
:cool :cool

tchan748
04-09-2002, 04:16 PM
It is also easier to get parts for the gixxer. The best way to do is to buy the older model (pre 2001) and go to the wrecker and find a crashed one and see if you can get spare parts like swing arm, engine, tank etc. Since everyone is starting to race the new model, you can buy a used gixxer race bike for dirt cheap in the States.

tc