BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Thinking about a different/new bike.

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Slow-Vee 
#1 ·
I have a friend that has a Honda 919 (Hornet) available as a takeover on payments. It's a 2006 and there is about $5500.00 left oweing.

Sound like a decent deal? Anyone ride one and have opinions?

Thanks

#2 ·
how many km?
has it been binned?
Any mods?
General condition?
Tires worn?
Service history?

answer all those questions one way and it's a bargain, answer them another and maybe not such a great deal.

If it's decently low km. and in good shape, it sounds like a pretty good deal (most dreamers on CL want that for their 599's.)

Personally, I'd ride that bike at the drop of a hat, I love those bikes.

Owes $5500 on a 2006? What's he making for payments, $100/month?

#4 · (Edited)
Owes $5500 on a 2006? What's he making for payments, $100/month?
I can't remember when it was discontinued, but there was new old stock available through dealers for some time in 2007 - 2008 IIRC... as my dad was looking to buy one of them.

$5500 isn't a bad price depending on condition and mileage. It's no screamer of a deal though.

If you are friends with the guy then at least you can pay a fair price for something you know hasn't been abused or poorly maintained...

#3 ·
Like most Hondas, probably very good quality....kinda always found them somewhat boring though, lacking character, for a naked....but that's very subjective.

I know they were not a huge success at the dealers, when new, but that could be said of many naked standards I guess.

The price, assuming it's super clean, and lowish miles, seems decent enough.

I have never ridden one, only sat on them and made vroom vroom sounds.

#5 ·
He is the second owner. He has been down on it once (replaced the scared parts). I haven't even asked him how many km. He has had it for a couple years and hardly ever gets the time to take it out.

#6 ·
Turns out he is the first owner, it has only 5000 km and also comes with a hard case.

Just keeps sounding better to me.

#9 ·
I had an '06 Honda Hornet 599 and liked it, albeit it was sortof underpowered and small (both of which the 919 would be superior). I sold it June 2010 for $6000 I think, it had low Kms never dropped.

So if you can pick up a 919 with low kms for only $5500 then that seems like a good price to me.

#11 ·
IIRC, the 919 basically has the old 900RR engine and trans, correct? I had a 900RR, and that engine was fantastic. never gave me any problems, logged lots of km, and had more than ample power. Personally I like the look of the 919(and the 599), so I'd say go for it. It's a fairly rare bike around here, too.

#12 · (Edited)
My $0.02

Seeing you coming off a Ninja 250 (based on what's in your profile), the 919 may not be a fun bike for you other than the obvious power gain.

I test rode a 599, 919, and a VFR800 side by side at the time. I thought the 919 was better built than the 599. I was impressed with the VFR by far. All were demo units.

I thought the 919 was a well built bike, but it came across as a bit ordinary. Having said that, I had nothing to complain about. It will be much heavier to handle than the Ninja 250.

At the time, the 919 was selling for approximately the same as the 599, about $8000-ish brand new (end of season).

In our current market, $5500 seems like a bit much for my taste (given it has been dropped), and there will be other bikes out there that will be more fun.

Different strokes for different folks; so I guess a test ride will be the proof in the pudding for you.

#13 ·
Are you buying because you want to move up or because your friend's bike is available?

You will likely own many bikes...I recommend moving up gradually.

A 919 is a great bike, but it is also a big bike.

If you want to grow as a rider, how about something like an SV650 (S or naked).

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/mcd/2215200238.html

There are lots around for the kind of money your friend is asking for his 919.

On the other hand, if you like the 919 and that is all there is to it, then have at it. It is only an OK deal, though IMO.

#17 ·
Dennis, I expect you can handle either bike, you're not an idiot and will not be over-your-head.

BUT....I will echo a couple who suggest the SV....that bike is damn perfect for so much riding in town, super nimble, which you are use to, and probably appreciate, reliable as hell, and can do anything from day rides, to commuting, to track days.....food for thought.

#18 ·
I have always liked the SV650.

The reason I am looking at the 919 in particular is because it was available and I’m in the mood for something fuel injected. I'm tired of cold weather starts with the small engine.

A 900 cc is not ideal, I always said someone of my height and weight shouldn't need anything more the 600 - 650 cc ranges.

A bit of background on me because it seems a bit of concern from some going from a 250 to a much larger bike.

I have ridden and owned larger bikes. I picked up the 250 for a cheap commuter bike. I'm 39 and have had my MC license since I was 17. I know that doesn't mean much but I'm not a young guy making a tremendous step in power without having previous experience.

Although I do appreciate the concern.

#19 ·
A bit of background on me because it seems a bit of concern from some going from a 250 to a much larger bike.

I have ridden and owned larger bikes. I picked up the 250 for a cheap commuter bike. I'm 39 and have had my MC license since I was 17. I know that doesn't mean much but I'm not a young guy making a tremendous step in power without having previous experience.

Although I do appreciate the concern.

Oh...never mind.

#20 ·
I had a SV650s for a few years, ~35k. Test rode a 919 for couple of blocks.

2 different animals. SV has a on-off jerky throttle (TPS, TRE help abit), while 919 is silky smooth. SV is light and nimble, 919 feels planted.

If you decided not buying your friend 919, please pm me the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.