: need help rookie to the bike scene

CAMRY300RR
03-25-2002, 11:18 PM
does anyone know a place to get loans for a new or used bike in BC besides going through banks and dealerships??? im pretty serious about getting a gixxer 750 new or used prefer a 98 in red and black or gold and black or was it a 97 they had gold and black anyways please help

CG
03-26-2002, 12:15 AM
a gixxer 750 is alot of bike for a rookie....

as for loans.... hmm.... bank / credit unions or dealerships are the only places to get a loan dude....

gold/black was 1996 for the 750, there was a yellow/black in 1999-2002. The red/black 750s were from 1997-1998.

If this is your first bike and have no street riding experience, then I HIGHLY recommend you look for less powerful bike.... but again, nobody here is gonna stop you, but i'm just giving ya a warning, cause that is alot of juice beneath you if you get a gixxer.... I dont want to see anybody get way over there heads and get hurt....

Miteorite
03-26-2002, 12:23 AM
i agree with C_G..
if you happen to be a student you can apply for a student loan..
they don't charge interest until you're outta school too...

CG
03-26-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by AlphaQ
i agree with C_G..
if you happen to be a student you can apply for a student loan..
they don't charge interest until you're outta school too...

I thought you can only use student loans for edumacation only?? :)

bugs
03-26-2002, 12:27 AM
My banker at royal bamk told me they had a program for students and first time users for loans and that they give awsome approval and rates...Don't have his number here but i'll pm you with it tomorow.

Miteorite
03-26-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Canadian_Gixxer

I thought you can only use student loans for edumacation only?? :)

that's why i said "if you happen to be a student"..
you need a minimum of 9 credit hours (=fulltime student) to apply..

once you get the money it's up to you how you decided to spend it..

CAMRY300RR
03-26-2002, 07:55 AM
about the student loan ... pm me as well i wanna know!!! thnx...

p.s. not my first time to ride bikes i was riding an R6 previously (while my friend was away i had his bike for a while) but he's coming back soon so i want my own... thnx for the hook up guys...!!!

f4rider
03-26-2002, 08:53 AM
If you are in college or university you can get a student loan and pay back when you finish school. If you take full time courses you can get yo to almost $9000 for the school season. E-mail me if you need more info.

Hu99
03-26-2002, 09:15 AM
I'm with Gixxer on this one. Student loans are for education and education only. To use it for buying a bike would be abuse of the system. The same system that makes your education possible in the first place.

atomlowe
03-26-2002, 02:24 PM
Lets save the student loans for the students.

You'll probably have to go through a private creditor....TCC (trans canada credit) or something. Take a look at Future Shop or A&B Sound, they have credit cards that are available from private lending companies (normally local). Get the name off of the application and call them. I had a Future Shop card and I think it was TCC, but they kept on offering me money because I was never late on payments. Its worth a try...

atom

Miteorite
03-26-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Hu99
I'm with Gixxer on this one. Student loans are for education and education only. To use it for buying a bike would be abuse of the system. The same system that makes your education possible in the first place.

it's not like you take the money, leave and never come back.
you'll pay it back eventually..

i wouldn't do this, but as a last resort, very small loan for an older bike would be a possibility.

atomlowe
03-26-2002, 03:34 PM

it's not like you take the money, leave and never come back.
you'll pay it back eventually..

i wouldn't do this, but as a last resort, very small loan for an older bike would be a possibility.

IMO: Student loans are for student tuitions and living expenses...end of story.

Quasi
03-26-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by atomlowe

IMO: Student loans are for student tuitions and living expenses...end of story.

I totally agree, remember that guy who was on parole not that long ago, got a student loan and used it to buy a car? They sent him right back to the slammer for abusing the system. What urks me is I had to borrow almost $15,000 from the bank because I couldn't qualify for a student loan because I was working 6 hours a day in the morning and early afternoon then going to school later afternoons nights. When I hear about people saying get a student loan for a bike, well I'll be quite honest that really pisses me off.

Sewman
03-26-2002, 03:53 PM
Hey Camry300, good luck getting into the bike scene. I just wanted to share my experiences with you to better educate you on your decision to start out on the GSX-R 750.

I started on an 89 GSX-R 750 three years ago and rode that for a season. I felt a little out of control on that beast. It was cheap, had full yoshi and was stupid fast.

Impressions: Really fun bike to ride in the twisties as anybody who's ridden one can attest to, but it plain hurts in the city. As a beginner starting out on the wrong bike, it took me alot longer to get comfortable riding(both literally and figuratively speaking) I developed sore wrists and back problems. That's something that Gixxer riders are willing to sacrafice for the handling prowess of a racebike. The uncomfy ergo's were not the biggest problem though. Gixxer fans don't mind the ergos as much. I think the biggest thing for me was that I was always intimidated to use the 750's power. Your skill doesn't progress as fast as it should because the bike's power keeps your ass clenched the whole time. And I was only on an 89 Gsx-r. The bike you're looking at has similar ergos but more power.

I bought a CBR 600 a season later and the impression that I got was that I could use more of the bike's potential. I had alot more fun on the 600 being able to push the bike a little harder without tensing up and stiffening the arms.

After riding both these bikes, for me a 600 was clearly a better beginner bike. It's a hell of a lot funner to ride and definitely more suited to my needs.

That being said, your needs may be completely different from mine. But you have the input of someone that started out on a 750. 600 is all the power I'm gonna need for a long time.

p.s. If this is your first bike, get ready to drop it one or two times.:)

Miteorite
03-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Quasi

well I'll be quite honest that really pisses me off.

that wasn't my intention at all :o
just throwing some ideas out.
i paid for everything with my own money...
-d

Quasi
03-26-2002, 04:11 PM

that wasn't my intention at all :o
just throwing some ideas out.
i paid for everything with my own money...
-d

No worries, I'm just bitter because I couldn't get a student loan for school and I know people who have gotten student loans and dropped out right away and blown the money. No worries.

CG
03-26-2002, 04:23 PM
ok i'll lay out the facts for you.... not to sound harsh or anything, but if you want something, then work for it.... get a job, make some money, build up some credit.... if you have a job, you can get a bank loan.... it's not that hard....

thr1
03-26-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Canadian_Gixxer
ok i'll lay out the facts for you.... not to sound harsh or anything, but if you want something, then work for it.... get a job, make some money, build up some credit.... if you have a job, you can get a bank loan.... it's not that hard....

hell yeah to that bro!

FastMickey
03-26-2002, 06:18 PM
Live how you want to live, don't let other people baby sit you.

If you want to get a GXR750 go for it! many people has already advised you their OPINIONS, but do whatever you want. Ofcourse, people are different, who knows you may be the next Mat Maladin. :D

CBR600F2
03-26-2002, 07:40 PM
Thats why I loved my 250... I was intimidated for about 2 hours and then it just became a bicycle... and i was able to learn handling, balance and all the basics... now on the 600, I know what to try and where my line is to stop and chill... I knwo this is just a rookie comment but I cant imagine where I would use a 750's power... that's a lotta balls man... but once I learn to take my 600 to its limits then I know I'll be moving up on the "cc-ladder" and move up to a 750 or maybe even a 1000... thats AFTER I ride the shit outta my 600.

bl1tz
03-26-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by FastMickey
Live how you want to live, don't let other people baby sit you.

EXACTLY.
use your student loan whichever way you want to, it's your money and you gotta pay it back anyways.

Bluestone
03-26-2002, 10:16 PM
and what was that statistic about 95% of people will never take their 600cc bikes to their limits? or something like that? You may feel like you are able to handle a larger bike, but you will NEVER actually NEED any more power. It's all about the WANT.
And man, we all share the WANT!
The bike will always be a few steps ahead of your skills, unless you're a pro rider.

CG
03-26-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Bluestone
and what was that statistic about 95% of people will never take their 600cc bikes to their limits? or something like that? You may feel like you are able to handle a larger bike, but you will NEVER actually NEED any more power. It's all about the WANT.
And man, we all share the WANT!
The bike will always be a few steps ahead of your skills, unless you're a pro rider.

I think people get the bigger bikes cause they are lazy.... easier to go faster, just twist and go.... the 600s, while almost as quick, you have to work them harder to get them going as fast as a litre bike.... anybody who has ridden the 600s, you have to tap-dance while riding in traffic.... but get the revs up and they go like stink....

FastMickey
03-26-2002, 10:31 PM
I really don't see a problem with a anybody getting a big bike, as long as you think you can handle it, and you have the knowledge of what it CAN do. Now, what the bike CAN do, and HOW the person is going to ride it can be a big difference, so what? I bet you a billion bucks that i can ride a 2001 NSR500. Whats so difficult? clutch, gear, and go! But to ride it around the track as fast as Rossi...? Probably not yet. Truth is, to ride a bike of any cc range is not difficult(given that you got your valid class 6 licence), how hard you will push your bike and your own limits? thats the part where it is the riders RESPONSIBILITY.

CAMRY300RR
03-26-2002, 11:05 PM
thanx for the input guys like i said b4 i had my friend's R6 for about 2 seasons now and i like it handling and all.. my debate was the gsxr and R6 has the same price tag i mean they are very close a difference of maybe less than a grand or so... but after wat u guys said i think i'll lean more on the R6 or the f4i... very good advice ....

regarding the student loan i checked it out if i use it to buy a bike it may get me in trouble even though i will pay it back.. so i guess i'll just go through the regular credit guys to get this... ( hope my credit is good) i heard it takes 7 years if u screw up one payment or somethin....

Harps
03-26-2002, 11:18 PM
I totally agree with Bluestone and Can_Gixxer...does anyone really need anything more than a 600cc sportbike for street riding purposes? Probably not. Especially if you're talking about a newbie like this guy.

CAMRY300RR: I work for Royal Bank as a Personal Banker, at the No. 3 Rd and Cook branch in Richmond (I noticed you live in Richmond). If you'd like, you can give me a call to set up an appointment...we can go through some stuff and I can just tell you straight up if you'd be able to get a loan for a new or used motorcycle. I don't know any of your personal information (like age or employment) but if you don't have any credit history established, you will likely have to get a co-signor (mom, dad, grandma) in order to get the loan approved. As someone mentioned earlier, you could likely get a loan through one of the smaller lenders like Trans Canada Credit or Trans West, but they are security lenders and are not governed by the Bank Act. What this means is that you will be charged astronomical interest rates by them...20%-30%. I had a client come in who had taken a $5000 loan out from TransWest at 30.5%, in the end he paid over $3500 in interest in addition to paying his $5000 principal. That means he spent $8500 to buy something that cost $5000. So if you can...stay away from them. It would be cheaper to put it on a credit card at 18.5%.

Email me: [email protected]
(sorry, don't want to give my ph# out in such a public place)

Also, if any of you other guys have questions, feel free to give me a shout.

FastMickey
03-26-2002, 11:20 PM
The credit bureau usually keeps 7 yrs worth of information on a person. THerefore, if you missed a pmt, it will stay there for 7 yrs, and it can hurt your ability to get credit within that 7 yr period. But if you always maintain pmts on your $20k ln, but missed one small pmt on your $500 visa. then there isnt really alot to worry about... and the most important piece of information: the credit bureau only gives you a bad rating AFTER 30 DAYS of Delinquency. Which means, if you missed your payment but made it up before 30days past, then you should be fine, and there should be no negatives on your credit bureau file.

Bluestone
03-26-2002, 11:39 PM
Hey Harps! I work for Royal Bank too! But i'm a csr in West Van!
Gotta love that staff rate! That's how i got my bike!:cool

Harps
03-27-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Bluestone
Hey Harps! I work for Royal Bank too! But i'm a csr in West Van!
Gotta love that staff rate! That's how i got my bike!:cool

That's how I got my bike too! RCL at 4.75%, interest only calculated on your remaining balance...not too bad, eh? :D

Harps
03-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by FastMickey
The credit bureau usually keeps 7 yrs worth of information on a person. THerefore, if you missed a pmt, it will stay there for 7 yrs, and it can hurt your ability to get credit within that 7 yr period. But if you always maintain pmts on your $20k ln, but missed one small pmt on your $500 visa. then there isnt really alot to worry about... and the most important piece of information: the credit bureau only gives you a bad rating AFTER 30 DAYS of Delinquency. Which means, if you missed your payment but made it up before 30days past, then you should be fine, and there should be no negatives on your credit bureau file.

Mickey is right...if you've missed payments it will show up as a derog on your Credit Bureau...but only if they were later than 30 days. Even at that though, you can miss a few payments and still be relatively okay. Most lenders will look at your overall picture: if your net worth is decent for your age, and you have been on time with most of your other payments, have some savings established, your loan to value (of what your buying) is not too high...then you could get away with even having a couple of 60 day late payments on your record...it will also help your case if the late payments were not with the institution that you are applying to, and if they are more than two years old. This doesn't work for everyone, but I'm justy letting you know that missing a couple of payments is not necessarily the end of the world.

Hu99
03-27-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by bl1tz

EXACTLY.
use your student loan whichever way you want to, it's your money and you gotta pay it back anyways.

Correction, Chuck. Student loan money ISN'T your's, it's temporarily at your disposal towards furthering your education. It is NOT intended for the purchase of toys.

bugs
03-27-2002, 02:37 PM
ok..got the numbers here..I recommend my banker, he's been really helpful and I am sure he can help you with answers to any questions you have. his name Ramon Aguirre, works at Royal bank, broadway and cambie..Phone number is 665-8653
The other option is Transcanada credit, talk to jeff 941-6711. hope this helps. tell them paul from carter sent ya.
good luck!

R1 GIRL
03-27-2002, 03:52 PM
Dudes, you all are way too wound up over this whole thing. Student loans in my opinion should be used for whatever the student wishes, as they do have to pay them back plus interest. I had a student loan when I was in college 9 years ago, as my education was paid for by my late great grandmother, I used the loan funds to pay my rent/food/utilities/entertainment and a computer (was living on my own at 18) and worked only part-time during school to allow myself time to study and concentrate on my school work. I bought the computer for school work only as I couldn't even afford a phone (or modem) or games.

I paid off that loan (was about $5000 I think) in about five years I guess it was. As my grandmother had specificially designated in her will that she wanted my inheritance to go towards school only and b/c I wanted to follow her wishes, the student loan money was necessary for my education, but not to actually pay for that education.

R1 GIRL
03-27-2002, 03:53 PM
As for getting bank loans recently, I just cannot believe how much credit they are willing to dish out to me!! I have had a good credit rating since the age of 18 (started with a Bay card) and currently I am in debt more than I ever thought I would be, having a blast though as you only live once, but I still continue to make my monthly payments as required. I have a $105,000 mortage payments, a $24,000 new truck payments, and $14,000 new bike payments. Heh, thats a lot of payments for a 27 year old. Tee hee!!! But I can afford the payments, so they keep giving me more credit. :D

Oh, my first loan (bank) was to buy a used car, $4000 for a Tercel way back when. Royal Bank gave me the loan and that helped to establish a good history with them. Start small, and work your way up. Get a used bike (you're gonna drop it) and I personally LOVED my R6, so get one of those, besides the F4i isn't comfortable for the tooshie.

R1 GIRL
03-27-2002, 03:57 PM
Wow, so many topics to respond to in this thread.

History: First bike used 600, second bike new 600, current bike new 1000.

My dad phoned me just the other day and asked me, "Jody, I was just wondering <chuckle>, did you buy the new R1 because you felt you needed more power, or was it just an ego boost thing?" I was honest with him, as I will be with you. Its like 90% ego and 10% b/c of the added power.

The R1 is easier to ride than the R6. More power, less effort, as has been stated above. The R6 is more than enough for any rider, but the 1000 is more fun (in my opinion) and heck its a better bike and how many chicks do you know on a R1? Heh, thats why I bought it. Nobody that rides around here for fun (no track races) needs more than a 600, the new 600's are wicked and I would personally recommend a R6 to any new rider or any experienced rider. Great bike for anyone.

adamantium
03-27-2002, 06:12 PM
I'd just like to ad that I disagree. I don't strong disagree, but I do.

I think the R6 is one of the hardest bikes to learn to ride properly on, and I say this having owned one for 9 months. The bike will out-handle you, meaning that it will go where you tell it to go even it if it's the wrong input - unlike a F4i or ZX6R where they're a little more forgiving and will stay on track a little better. Don't get me wrong, I love my R6 to death and would highly recommend it to anyone as a great bike to own, but a first bike? I'd cry if I dropped my R6, and as Jody stated in her other thread, she dropped her F3 3 times, and that's fairly common from what I understand (crossing fingers, haven't really gone down) - you woudln't want that happening to a shiny new bike like that.

Saying all that, all the 600's have a tonne of power and are more than enough for even the most experienced of riders. An EX500 would be the only bike I could think of that would really limit your abilities more and make you a better rider - but (and I hate to say it Bluestone), the EX500 doesn't have any cool factor in it other than it's a bike. :D

Harps
03-27-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by adamantium
I think the R6 is one of the hardest bikes to learn to ride properly on, and I say this having owned one for 9 months. The bike will out-handle you, meaning that it will go where you tell it to go even it if it's the wrong input - unlike a F4i or ZX6R where they're a little more forgiving and will stay on track a little better...

I totally agree. I don't ride own an R6, but I've spent a couple hundred Kms on one...and it WILL outhandle you. Going from a ZX-6E and an F2 (which I had at the time), I found that with the R6 I would sometimes find myself running out of road on the inside of the turn...I really needed to be carrying more speed for the steering inputs I was giving. On most other bikes the only problem I might have run into would have been that the bike went too wide.

Great bike though...I can't say enough good things about the R6. Just that I would never recomend it as a starter bike for someone.

CG
03-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by adamantium
I'd just like to ad that I disagree. I don't strong disagree, but I do.

I think the R6 is one of the hardest bikes to learn to ride properly on, and I say this having owned one for 9 months. The bike will out-handle you, meaning that it will go where you tell it to go even it if it's the wrong input - unlike a F4i or ZX6R where they're a little more forgiving and will stay on track a little better. Don't get me wrong, I love my R6 to death and would highly recommend it to anyone as a great bike to own, but a first bike? I'd cry if I dropped my R6, and as Jody stated in her other thread, she dropped her F3 3 times, and that's fairly common from what I understand (crossing fingers, haven't really gone down) - you woudln't want that happening to a shiny new bike like that.

Saying all that, all the 600's have a tonne of power and are more than enough for even the most experienced of riders. An EX500 would be the only bike I could think of that would really limit your abilities more and make you a better rider - but (and I hate to say it Bluestone), the EX500 doesn't have any cool factor in it other than it's a bike. :D

hmmm, well.... it all depends on what you consider a newbie rider.... if the person has never sat or rode on a motorcycle before, then STAYY away from a R6, GSXR600, ZX6R and F4i.... however, if you have been riding on some POS bike for a month and taken a riding course, then you could get by on those bikes....

but for somebody who has never touched/ridden/sat on a bike for some extensive periods of time (a month or 2), then forget about it.... i'll bet you'll drop/crash or hurt yourself within a very short period of time....

R1 GIRL
03-28-2002, 09:51 AM
You guys, I tell ya... the R6 is totally WAAAAAAAY easier to ride than my F3 was. Perhaps that was mainly the fault of my particular F3, as I was unaware of at the time of purchase, I bought the bike from a guy who had taken it on the track and did quite a few modifications to it. My accidents were all mainly due to my stupidity and not paying full attention at the riding school. The instructor said to me, "On sport bikes, 90% of the braking is done with the front brakes, only 10% is the back brakes." I thought, okay sure, and then proceeded to only use my front brakes.

Two accidents were caused by gripping the front brake only and having the back end slip out on me. The drops, well those were caused by the disc lock and the first one was b/c I didn't even have my novice licence yet, not really the fault of the bike... heh, only stupidity of the rider.

When I moved from my F3 to my R6 I don't feel as though my riding was better on the F3, quite the contrary. I felt more confident and safe on my R6. She braked a lot quicker and easier, felt more stable overall. I found that I was a MUCH better rider during my first run up to Squamish on the R6, the night before I had taken my F3 up the same route as a goodbye run... and I couldn't believe how much EASIER it was to ride the R6 on the exact same road. I have found myself in situations that I have escaped out of on my R6 that I don't feel confident I could have made it through on the F3. The added power, etc., can help you as well as perhaps hinder you (as you other guys have stated).

R1 GIRL
03-28-2002, 09:54 AM
I'd love to go riding with you guys on your R6s and see how you ride. Perhaps I am a more aggressive rider than you, or perhaps I am calmer than you (heh, yeah right!), and that because of our different riding styles, the R6 was perfect for me, and maybe not so much for you. However, like I said in one of my other messages, my girlfriend Michelle, who is like 110 lbs. and pretty short, 5'3" or something, the R6 was her first bike and she's a pretty damn good rider. We have very similar riding styles, when we were both on our R6's and she was a pleasure to ride with, when is she gonna get that bike on the road anyhow?! She put a permit on for a ride up to Harrison a couple weeks back, but no bike at the moment. Anyhow... THE R6 KICKS ASS!!!!!! I guess I'll end with that. :p

atomlowe
03-28-2002, 10:43 AM
I personally think that the step up from the F3 to the R6 may have helped. You may not think so, but ever mile under your belt helps. The power difference between the F3 and R6 are closer than the 250 Serpa to R6. You and your friend Michelle may be extremely lucky because there have been alot of riders going down riding lesser bikes than R6's and F3's. Rider education and self control is a major part in survival for the first year.

I push going to lower cc bikes because I'd rather be on the side of caution then excess. The last thing I want to have happen is for a new rider to jump on a new R6, GSX-R600, ect.... and think its easy to ride. Only to later hear on the board that the person has been injured or killed.

just my .02

atom