: Stunts & stuff..

adamantium
02-27-2002, 08:56 AM
Ok, so besides Fish, who else here can Stunt? Or do more than just pull there front up and put it back down within seconds.. can anyone carry it?

I've more or less convinced myself that I'll grow larger balls this year and figure this whole deal out. My balls last year were to small. :(

:laughing

Miteorite
02-27-2002, 11:06 AM
i wanna learn :)
can anyone who semi-knows how the whole wheelie deal works show it to us on one of the weekend?

that'd be pretty cool

-d

Ryan R
02-27-2002, 04:26 PM
Well I have just started to learn stand up wheelies and they are freaky:eek Sit downs are not too much trouble. I could carry them longer if I could shift to second or third but that I am still stuck on. Stand up wheelies seem scarier but they are a lot more predictable once you have done a few. Hopefully by the middle of march I will have them perfected. I can do stoppies medium hight but not rolling endo's yet. I can attempt to give anyone who wants to learn some pointers once I get it all figured out. Pretty much anyone can do it, it just takes a while to work up the balls to give it a shot. ;)

But honestly the way I learned or at least picked up a little of the technique was from watching video's of wheelies over and over and over again. Foot placement body movement and every detail I could pic out of it. Trust me it helps. The video that helped me the most was from a guy on SBN named Justin, some of you may have remembered some of his videos like the Twelve o clock wheelie one. Any way this is the link to the video that I learned from.
http://www.run-with-the-devil.com/glowecon/stunts_aug20_2001-ntsc768kbps.wmv

manny3:16
02-27-2002, 06:42 PM
Its pretty hard to do a second gear stand-up with a zx-6r but with the new sprockets that thing will come up and maybe bite you in the ass:D Wheelies are scary and to be able to do long ones you go to be in the balance point, which feels like theres not much weight. I am not good at wheelies, the starboyz and like fish's group can probably do one mile stand-ups. Here is a link that will give you a idea of what to do http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=50678&documentID=67881&navID=11&pageNum=1

02-27-2002, 07:01 PM
This movie from the same site will also be informative to the squids out there:D This son of a bitch just pulled a wheelie on a Kawasaki 1100, thing weighs over 500lbs
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/content/images/News/features/video/01406300.mov

Miteorite
02-27-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Ryan R
Well I have just started to learn stand up wheelies and they are freaky:eek Sit downs are not too much trouble. I could carry them longer if I could shift to second or third but that I am still stuck on. Stand up wheelies seem scarier but they are a lot more predictable once you have done a few. Hopefully by the middle of march I will have them perfected. I can do stoppies medium hight but not rolling endo's yet. I can attempt to give anyone who wants to learn some pointers once I get it all figured out. Pretty much anyone can do it, it just takes a while to work up the balls to give it a shot. ;)

But honestly the way I learned or at least picked up a little of the technique was from watching video's of wheelies over and over and over again. Foot placement body movement and every detail I could pic out of it. Trust me it helps. The video that helped me the most was from a guy on SBN named Justin, some of you may have remembered some of his videos like the Twelve o clock wheelie one. Any way this is the link to the video that I learned from.
http://www.run-with-the-devil.com/glowecon/stunts_aug20_2001-ntsc768kbps.wmv

:laughing it's more educational if you do it in person :)
willing to do it for the audience one of these days?

Ryan R
02-27-2002, 07:58 PM
Posted by Alpha Q.
it's more educational if you do it in person
willing to do it for the audience one of these days?

That was the idea man, I just have to practice more until I get it down then I will explain the procedure and give you the how too's with a demonstration;)

adamantium
02-27-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by manny3:16
This movie from the same site will also be informative to the squids out there:D This son of a bitch just pulled a wheelie on a Kawasaki 1100, thing weighs over 500lbs
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/content/images/News/features/video/01406300.mov

Dude, you can wheelie anything. And a Kawi 1100 has a HUGE amount more torque than a puny 600 would.

:tredmill

Miteorite
02-27-2002, 09:18 PM
of course you can wheelie anything!
there was a link on sbn with a guy wheeling a goldwing!

it's whether you have the balls & the skillz right :p

man half of the guys in that video aren't wearing much beyond a helmet(in terms of gear)! that's too much balls for me! crap!

02-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by absolutdm

Dude, you can wheelie anything. And a Kawi 1100 has a HUGE amount more torque than a puny 600 would.

:tredmill

Maybe we should hang out with Fish's group on a weekend, man I need to find a bike. Did you find the video and the wheelie tutorial helpful, you should try out the dipping the clutch and rolling on the throttle technique. Looks like the guy in the video knows what hes doing, practise what hes saying

CG
02-27-2002, 10:16 PM
if you wanna wheelie, just buy a gixxer 1000 :) those things can power wheelie at 100+mph without effort :eek

Bluestone
02-27-2002, 11:27 PM
Do I sense a bcEXTREMEsportbikes.com forum opening up?
I'm game.
I'm totally trying to get the stand up wheelie thing down by the end of the summer, and then the 180 endo in the next few years! That's the plan. For now, though, I'm gonna be riding as many nights as I can in the one or two industrial sites on the shore jsut trying to perfect the wheelie! I figue the best times anywhere in the city is late at night, so if anyone wants to go out to try this stuff late-night Sunday through Wednesday nights, let me know and I'll be there (for company and moral support at least, 'cause i won't be doing no teaching yet!)
Ryan R, where do you go to practice?

Ryan R
02-28-2002, 07:19 AM
Well I live about 5 minutes away from white rock beach and there is one road that no one ever goes down and its smooth. Dont know axactly what one it is though but its a pretty good place as it is not close to any houses. watchin the videos makes the stand up look so easy but it scares the shit out of you at first :D.
If you are practicing them as well then we should get together some time and maybe we could learn from watching each others mistakes. ;)

TeeTee
02-28-2002, 09:01 AM
Stunts are great fun to watch and to do I'm sure but there's also a reason that there are so many crash vid's of stunts gone wrong. If you're gonna play with fire you have to expect your fingers to get burnt now and then.

Learning stunts is probably the world's best reason for a second bike. I find it odd that a lot of the names on this thread saying "YAH, LETZ DO IT" are the same ones that were saying "No track days for me, I can't afford to wreck the plastics or worse". HULLOOOOOO ! ! !

Time for a reality check folks. Let'z walk over to this here Starboyz bike and peel back a bit of that scuffed up tiger fabric............zzzzzzzzzzzip............... OMFG, Would ya look at all the cracks and mizzing... er...missing bitz :eek And whatz with all the gougz and dentz in the frame and wheelz :eek :eek These are guyz that have gotten so used to picking up their bikz that at least one of them doesn't bother with a side stand any more. One vid showed him just layin' 'er down and walking calmly over to the camera dude for a chat. Probably snapped it off in a stunt.....

I think it's Fish's sig that say "bike-929 all smashed". And in one of the welcome posts someone asked "How'd it get all smashed?" :laughing

I'm not saying don't do it. Hell, I'll be the first in line to congratulate you the day you do your first wheelie under control and the first stoppie. And I'd be happy to take the vid's. But I AM saying that you had better be prepared to pay the piper until you get it right.

How much can a Bandit 600 and a larger rear sprocket cost anyway? Or a salvage title sportbike done up in streetfighter clothes? That's where the whole streetfighter style came from in the first place. The bikes in "Streetfighter" magazine are all custom queens these days but the idea of the sportbike with no fairings and some case and frame sliders with a flat black tank is the way to go. Get your movz down on the hacker and then you can do it with style on your pretty candy (insert fav colour here) sportbike.

Letz see. A salvage sportbike will run ya about $3500 to $4000 in decent running condition. The repairs to my fairing and a few bits from a 20kph lowside was $3000..........

And how expensive could the extra insurance be? Itz not like yer gonna need the collision coverage :D

bl1tz
02-28-2002, 10:01 AM
im gonna do stunts with my bike so i can wreck the fairings and put on the furs:D :D :D

Quasi
02-28-2002, 10:45 AM
I'm with Bruce, that could be an expensive mistake and cause unwanted damage to your beautiful bikes :)

Miteorite
02-28-2002, 02:15 PM
heh i have a '92 Kat i bought for $2,800 :p
I'm not terribly worried about scratching the fairings ( coz they are scratched already!).

It'll be cool to learn how to wheelie..first i gotta learn how to ride though. Not doing my sprocket mods till the end of the summer...
maybe i can learn to wheelie it stock :laughing

-d

Bluestone
02-28-2002, 11:36 PM
I just went out for an hour or so to try a few baby wheelies and stoppies. All very slow speed stuff, but the place I went to still had too many cars to really try the wheelies. My 6R doesn't have as much torque in the first gear as the '01 GsxR 600, that's for sure! (Last summer i tried a few wheelies on my buddy's gixxer and it went up soooo easily!) With the amount of gas i was giving her tonight, i probably would have flipped the Gixxer! But even with all that gas, i couldn't do a straight throttle wheelie without bouncing.:mad I need to give it a more focused effort this weekend if the weather permits.
Stoppies, on the other hand, don't require long straights, just an empty parking lot, and I've started getting the hang of my brakes!
The key is to pump the brake twice:once just a touch to get the weight transfered to the front forks, and then another, solid grab which brings the rear up. I'm sure i didn't get her as high as it felt, but i was surprised how high i could get the rear up going as slow as 20km/h!
Next time: the rolling one handed 180 degree stoppie!......:laughing :laughing :laughing :D

02-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Bluestone
I just went out for an hour or so to try a few baby wheelies and stoppies. All very slow speed stuff, but the place I went to still had too many cars to really try the wheelies. My 6R doesn't have as much torque in the first gear as the '01 GsxR 600, that's for sure! (Last summer i tried a few wheelies on my buddy's gixxer and it went up soooo easily!) With the amount of gas i was giving her tonight, i probably would have flipped the Gixxer! But even with all that gas, i couldn't do a straight throttle wheelie without bouncing.:mad I need to give it a more focused effort this weekend if the weather permits.
Stoppies, on the other hand, don't require long straights, just an empty parking lot, and I've started getting the hang of my brakes!
The key is to pump the brake twice:once just a touch to get the weight transfered to the front forks, and then another, solid grab which brings the rear up. I'm sure i didn't get her as high as it felt, but i was surprised how high i could get the rear up going as slow as 20km/h!
Next time: the rolling one handed 180 degree stoppie!......:laughing :laughing :laughing :D

Dude you should see the instructional video I have on the first page. The guy says to dip the clutch and roll on the throttle, it does come in first gear no problem. Just check out the video to get a idea, later man

TeeTee
02-28-2002, 11:58 PM
About the only thing I know about stoppies is to be sure to do some riding first or at least a few fairly hard prep stops to warm the tires. Heard about someone that tried to do a stoppie at the first stop sign after getting going. The front end locked up and he damn near washed out onto his side.

Ryan R
03-01-2002, 07:25 AM
My 6R doesn't have as much torque in the first gear as the '01 GsxR 600, that's for sure! (Last summer i tried a few wheelies on my buddy's gixxer and it went up soooo easily!) With the amount of gas i was giving her tonight, i probably would have flipped the Gixxer!

That's weird, My friend from work has a 2001 Gixxer 600 and we switched bikes once on a ride and he said my bike did wheelies way esier than his gixxer. He couldn't even believe it. And he had a yosh pipe on at the time too. Just give your bike a little more time as there still are some horses that you can work out of her yet. Once I hit around 5000 kms my bike felt way way stronger than at first. Your engine is still a little bit tight and once it loosens up you will be happy :D

Oh ya, when I am in first gear and rolling at around 6500 to 7000 RPM's and I wack the throttle wide open, by the time I hit 9000 my wheel starts coming up pretty quickly. If I do the same RPM's and use the snap method (on off on real quick with the throttle) it will fly up so fast you would fill your pants. :D

Bluestone
03-01-2002, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I spent some time warming my tires and brakes before I started trying the stoppies! As for the wheelies, though, I don't want to be dipping the clutch yet 'cause i shouldn't need to with this bike, and I don't wanna hurt my Honey's clutch so soon.
I'm glad to hear that your bike comes up easy, Ryan, cause i was a little worried. I'll just have to take her for a few more little trips to further break her in, i guess... Going to Victoria on Monday for a trip or two, so maybe when I get back she'll have loosened up a bit. I guess I have to ease her into it....

vrecksler
03-01-2002, 11:05 PM
I love watching stunts, but have no interest in performng them. If I was made of money, no problem, but not right now.

I remember what it was like when I first started snowboarding. Trying new tricks was kind of scary, and no matter how good you are, when you are learning something new, you ARE going to bail, it is part of the learning curve. Even a pro like Fish crashes, so I imagine newbies to the stunt scene are more likely to be rashing their fairings and I could not handle the expense.

But maybe I will get a pocketbike and figure out the whole balance point thing.....

Human
03-02-2002, 12:41 AM
I am with Vreckler....

bl1tz
03-02-2002, 03:39 AM
im with vreckler too

skid-mark
03-04-2002, 07:16 PM
cool topic. Stunts are fun, but everyone crashes doing them. My only problem is the $ needed to fix the bike, since I heal for free, so I'm taking it easy this year:)

Ryan R
03-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Whats stunts can you do and which ones have you crashed while trying to perform Skid mark. Was it a stupid mistake/ learning process/ accident ?

skid-mark
03-04-2002, 09:26 PM
You name it and I've crashed doing it. Flipped wheelies, flipped an endo (that one hurt). Once when riding backwards since I couldn't figure out how to steer... now where have you heard that before;)
A few lowsides, etc... The list goes on. I can't remember them all.

Never crashed doing a christ-stand though...

Ryan R
03-04-2002, 09:34 PM
When you flipped the wheelie did you do it fast or just reach the balance point and go to far over, also was it stand up or sit down, clutch or power wheelie ? That is the only real trick that i wanna learn. Just wanna be able to cruise in second gear and do the ocasional wheelie while entering on to the freeway stand up that is. I have been taking it slow and popping the front up but it normally comes right back down. I think its cause I get scared that it is too high when it isn't. Now if I could just pop it up like that and let off enough to hold it there I would be set. ;)

I also think that someone who wants to learn stunts has a greater chance off failure then someone who feels comfortable with the bike and feels that they are ready and focused enough to learn them (ie.) I wanted to be able to do them mid way through last season but I knew that I was not ready and it scared me to think of doing them, where as now I am feeling confident and have attempted wheelies and I am starting to improve with them.

skid-mark
03-04-2002, 09:55 PM
I have trouble with wheelies too, but that's just because I don't practice them at all, so don't take my word for any of this...

The ones I've flipped were sit-downs and they were while I was messing with the balance point. I scraped the tail-light and then forgot to tap the rear brake. I just let off the throttle and it was too high and it looped:(
And I don't do clutch wheelies just because the instant stress that it puts on the motor is definetly not good in the long run, at least I don't think it is...

I have 3 rear hubs with different sized sprockets on them so I can change for more or less top/low end power whenever I want. I usually keep the gearing higher for speed, but if I gear low then just touch my throttle and you'll flip it:)

Another thing, but a tough one to realise, is that the faster you go the easier it is to wheelie. At least that's what I found out.

Don't expect me to be busting these out though since I'm not good at them at all. At least I don't think I am...

*If you want to make it easier on yourself then try dropping a tooth on your front sprocket. That's the cheap/easy way for low end gains and you can switch back any time you want!

My favorite trick is the leap of faith, but I dented my gastank when I did it so I don't anymore:(... not on my bike at least;)

Ryan R
03-04-2002, 10:03 PM
Don't expect me to be busting these out though since I'm not good at them at all. At least I don't think I am...

Its all good man, just like to here everyones opinions so I can make a generalization for when I try somthing new. Learn from others stories and mistakes to prevent myself from making them ;)

If you want to make it easier on yourself then try dropping a tooth on your front sprocket. That's the cheap/easy way for low end gains and you can switch back any time you want!

Ya I am planning on converting to a 520 chain and going 2 up in the rear with aluminum anodized sprockets. Wont really loose that much top speed and will increase my rollons strength ;)

bender
03-05-2002, 09:50 AM
go HERE (http://www.sportbikehype.com/videos.html) and click on crazy larry III. hell, watch all the crazy larry video's, their great! but number 3 is the goldwing wheelie.

Hu99
03-05-2002, 05:30 PM
I support Vrecksler too, and admire him for having the cajones to say so. Too many guys are peer pressured into stunting and live to regret it. I have no interets in stunting either, it's expensive, dangerous, and not too good for ya ride.

skid-mark
03-05-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by bender
go HERE (http://www.sportbikehype.com/videos.html) and click on crazy larry III. hell, watch all the crazy larry video's, their great! but number 3 is the goldwing wheelie.

I totally forgot about that. ya... definetly check out those videos:D

Hu99
03-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Whose Gold Wing is that? Not Larry's. How would you feel laying $30,000 down for a Gold Wing and you get that one? Larry....What a dickhead!:rolleyes

bender
03-06-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Hu99
Whose Gold Wing is that? Not Larry's. How would you feel laying $30,000 down for a Gold Wing and you get that one? Larry....What a dickhead!:rolleyes

holy crap, did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning? take it easy man, it's just entertainment.

f4rider
03-06-2002, 11:46 AM
Hey Bluestone

I am a new member to this site and I also live in
West Van. I wouldn't mind going stunt riding with you at nights. I just have to wait a week or two to insure
my bike soon. Keep me posted to when you r going riding.
Thanks

Bluestone
03-07-2002, 10:53 AM
Hey F4Rider, how's it going? What colour is your bike? I've probably seen it around. I'll definatley keep you posted. Looks like lots of rain and snow for the next week or so though...
Sweet, another north shore ryder......