View Full Version : Test riding...

Sarkastik
02-17-2002, 10:21 PM
What's the deal with private dealers and test riding? Do/or would most private dealers allow for someone to test ride their bike, if they were interested in buying it? Even if that person didn't have a motorcycle license yet, and is looking to get their first bike?

What about public dealerships?

CG
02-17-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Genuine
What's the deal with private dealers and test riding? Do/or would most private dealers allow for someone to test ride their bike, if they were interested in buying it? Even if that person didn't have a motorcycle license yet, and is looking to get their first bike?

What about public dealerships?

good luck trying to test ride a motorcycle without a license hahahahaha :laughing

I've heard most dealers wont let anyone test ride if they are under 25....

Just imagine this, some 18 year old squid walks in, (no license, or just got his license, you choose), wants to test ride a gixxer 1000 for a first bike.... see what i'm gettin at? I have heard of many stories of people buying fast bikes and crashing them as they pull out of the dealership :(

i'm not sure what ya mean about private dealers, I guess you mean private sellers (aka. Buysell, etc)??

they best way to test a bike out is to find friends/people who have bikes....

atomlowe
02-17-2002, 11:24 PM
Ive never seen a dealer had over keys to a new bike. As far as without a license, not a chance, their insurance wouldn't allow it. The best chance you have to ride anything is if you ride to the dealership on your own. I have test ridden 2 bike last year for fun, but I left mine their.

atom

adamantium
02-17-2002, 11:49 PM
Well, I think it all depends on how you carry yourself. I've test rode bikes since I had my license (I really don't think your getting to ride anything without it). Funny thing is, I called ahead once to make sure that the Yamaha dealership had an R6 for me to try out, and the guy immiedetely interogated me as to my age, did I just want to wheelies, etc.. bizzare.

RMS has always let me take stuff out.. as long as they have a demo of it.. same with Carter..

bl1tz
02-18-2002, 12:15 AM
dealerships have never let me test ride their bikes:(

Bluestone
02-18-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by bl1tz
dealerships have never let me test ride their bikes:(

DO you wonder why?? I wouldn't even ask, being a 20 year old male with less than 1 year of riding experience. Even after buying two bikes from Trevor at BK, i don't think he'd let me test ride anything!!! I would totally expect the under 25 type of rule from all dealerships.

Sarkastik
02-18-2002, 01:43 AM
I see, ya I was expecting to get answers like that. I was just curious though.

I'm looking to buy my first bike in late May, after my course down at Action. And when I go looking for a bike, I don't want to buy a bike that has been through too much abuse. A bike could look good from the outside, but be messed up on the inside or with the mechanical parts. Maybe I'm getting too much ahead of myself, but I want to make sure I don't buy a piece of crap.

And as of friends with bikes, none. Nobody I know has a bike or atleast not anybody that I know well. I guess I'm kind of starting it up with my crew. All my friends talk about having a bike and that it would be cool and that they would impress the ladies, but it's more than that for me. I've been interesting in motorcycles for a long time now and I am ready to finally get one.

Maybe if I get to know some of you a bit better, you could come and help me choose my first bike.

Bluestone
02-18-2002, 01:56 AM
Don't worry, as soon as you've got your license, I would let you ride my Honey. Slowly, mind you, and in a parking lot at first, but I would let you check it out if you were looking at a ZX6R.
Don't worry, if you've got your license (especially from Action, as most of us went there) you'll probably get the same response from many of us on this board. I'm in the same boat as you, I was one of the first in my group to get a bike, and now there's 3 of us.

Sarkastik
02-18-2002, 02:01 AM
Cool man. I might have to take you up on that.

Bluestone
02-18-2002, 02:08 AM
What size/model of bike are you looking at buying?

Sarkastik
02-18-2002, 02:13 AM
I'm not even sure yet. I want to go out and sit on every kind of bike and see what is the most comfortable. And then figure out what would be the best for me. I'm 6 feet 7 inches tall. I don't think I want anything less than a 600 however.

Bluestone
02-18-2002, 02:19 AM
6'7?!?!?! Wow. Talk to Jim. I think he's another tall guy. (6'5 or something like that, if I remember correctly). Then i would agree that you should only get 600 or above, 'cause you aren't gonna fit on a 250. My buddy is 6'7 too, and he sat on my 250 once, and it was way too awkward for him. You'll ride 250's at Action though, so you'll see what i mean. Did you play ball in highschool? (I'm gonna assume you did) What year did you grad?

Sarkastik
02-18-2002, 02:23 AM
I graduated in 2000. Ya, I played ball. Basketball was my life but due to an injury I couldn't play my grade 12 season. And since then I just haven't really played again, but I am looking to get back into it soon.

Sarkastik
02-18-2002, 02:27 AM
Bluestone ---> Where'd you go to high school? When did you grad?

Kit
02-18-2002, 09:48 AM
The only way i have tested bikes is by boring friends:)

vrecksler
02-18-2002, 02:57 PM
I guess since I am older I have never had a problem. And mainly I go to the same dealer that I have purchased 2 bikes from, they know you are not a test rider or window shopper.

But I think attitude does factor in as well. If you walk in with your helmet and gloves, and know exactly what bike you want I think you would be allowed to ride. If you walk in looking at everything, sitting on a few totally different bikes, they are not going to accept you as a serious buyer.

One way to ensure a ride is borrow a buddy's bike and ride it in. Or get doubled in and pretend it is yours--I have done this with a friend of mine and it worked well. He pretended he was thinking of trading in my bike for something newer and they let him test ride 3 bikes that afternoon! :)

Bluestone
02-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Genuine
Bluestone ---> Where'd you go to high school? When did you grad?

I graduated from Sentinel Secondary in '99, and I played ball so I thought i might have played you. We had a sweet team.... and there aren't that many 6'7 guys around. What school?

Kit
02-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Bluestone

I graduated from Sentinel Secondary in '99, and I played ball so I thought i might have played you. We had a sweet team.... and there aren't that many 6'7 guys around. What school?

damn im old i graduated university in 1999!!!!

Hu99
02-18-2002, 05:14 PM
I've never had a problem test riding a bike if the dealer has a used model in stock, but nobody will let you ride a brand new zero km model, unless they are planning on making it the demo. Let's see here: 6'5" should fold up nicely into a Kwak ZX-12R!

Sarkastik
02-18-2002, 05:42 PM
Bluestone ---> Sentinel eh. Ya, I think we might've played you sometime or another. I went to R.C. Palmer Secondary in Richmond. But I didn't play for my grade 12 year.

Sarkastik
02-18-2002, 05:51 PM
As for test riding bikes and being worried about that whole situation. It's all good. Cuz when I went to register at Action they said that they allow for their students to borrow one of their bikes for the actual road test. That way I could get my license and then be able to test ride peoples' bikes when I'm out looking to buy one.

:D

Sarkastik
02-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Also upon completion of the MSA course, two restrictions are removed. Which are (1) having to be supervised by someone with a class 6 license, and (2) being limited to riding at 60 km/h.

The second one is all good, cuz I'm just starting out. But the first one would've been a pain. I don't know anyone right now, personally, that has a bike. So praise to that. :D

Ryan R
02-18-2002, 06:23 PM
I remember looking at an F4i at carter honda and the guy said how ya doin wanna take it for a spin and I was like sure but I dont have a license and he was like my mistake, I will let you start it up and sit on it though. It was a demo so as long as there is a demo of the bike you want then you are all good.:D

LimitedEdition
02-18-2002, 06:49 PM
My buddy and I are both 20 and at Richmond MotorX they let us take out a 2001 CBR929RR and a F4i at the SAME time... mid January and the roads were WET ... after we were like .. "damn, we don't need to buy bikes when we can just test ride" =)

Both bikes were demos .. and I doubt they have problems letting demos out. Remember not to buy demos .. The salesguy asked if we pulled wheelies =) He wasn't joking about wanting us to try it out on the 929RR =) haha. To get a feel for a Vtwin, they were nice enough to offer me a ride on a used Ducati SS? The thing had battery problems and I declined.

About me testing a brand new RC51 ? They said I could only if I put down a $1000 deposit which meant I would be walking out with a brand new bike after the testride .. I had pinned it down to the RC51 and the CBR929RR.

If you pass the creditcheck and want to test ride something .. They should have no problem accomadating you. They make you sign a waiver anyways and they most likely have insurance to cover damages. You can't always get your friends to let you test ride =) Even if I trust a person's riding abilities .. I still wouldn't want them playing on my bike =) Thats just me. STOP TOUCHING MY WIFE!!! U CAN LOOK BUT NOT RIDE>

Ryan R
02-18-2002, 07:31 PM
STOP TOUCHING MY WIFE!!! U CAN LOOK BUT NOT RIDE

Amen brotha:laughing

R1 GIRL
03-20-2002, 03:52 PM
Thought I'd add my two cents worth.

I'm 27, female, started riding at 24. My first bike (F3) was used, I brought a friend to test ride it for me (as I didn't have my licence yet) and we arrived on his bike, me on the back. The guy selling it (it was his girlfriend's bike) rode with my friend on his own bike as my friend rode the F3. My friend said the bike was good, I bought it. Kinda a mistake, but I guess we all have to start somewhere. Advice? Make sure you bring a friend who REALLY knows what he's doing. Heh, thought I had done that, but apparently not.

Seond bike, went to Pacific Yamaha on my F3, wanted to test ride a new R6. They gave me a demo one that had 35 kms. on it or something like that. I had told them though, that if I liked how it rode, that I'd be buying a brand new one, which I ended up doing. I traded in the F3 that day and rode off on my new bike.

I have a relationship with that dealer now and so when I wanted to buy my R1, I asked for a demo ride because they know that I don't buy a bike without riding it, but if I do like it, I'll buy it. They gave me a red R1 (4 kms. on it I think) to test ride, I did so, came back and bought my brand new Champions Limited Edition one.

Both test rides they photocopied my licence for their insurance.

Relationship with a dealer I believe is key, also to know what you are talking about, and which bike interests you. Don't test ride every single bike you see... sit on 'em if you wish, but really know what you are looking for before you head to the dealership.

R1 GIRL
03-20-2002, 03:58 PM
Oh yeah.. wanted to make a comment on bike trading.

Two months after I got my licence, a friend of mine who had also just started riding, but bought a R1, said "Hey, wanna trade for the day?" Okee!!! (Like HELLO?!)

So I gave the keys over to my F3 and he handed over the R1. Holy crap though, little did I know what I was on back then. I just thought, "hey, wow, a blue bike, wish I had one." I wasn't intimidated at the time because I really didn't know what I was riding on... and I think that made me a better rider actually. So, don't let being a new rider discourage you from riding what you want to ride (this comment does not go out to squid riders who are crazy mad and want to do stunts and/or wheelies the first week), I think you learn with your bike. I might even be a better rider if I had started on my R6 instead of my crappy F3. The R6 certainly was safer... and the F3 wasn't so great at stopping in a jam. Anyhow, all my messages are long, I type fast, buy and ride whatever bike you want, just don't be crazy about it.

If you have good friends, they'll trade bikes with ya, but you have to have one of your own to offer up. Tee hee, transfer of the pink slips in case of accident sound familiar!?! :D

Motorcycle Man
03-20-2002, 04:24 PM
It is worthwhile to go shopping for a bike salesman before you get your license. They will not try to pressure you in any way, because you are obviously not going to be buying a bike until you get your license.