View Full Version : 2003 750 GSX-R questions?

Dano750
09-13-2003, 09:51 PM
Hello all. got a couple of questions for the gixxer clan. I bought a 03 750 GSX-R. ( gotta take a minute and grin my head off!)
the owners manual says that the digital speedo will read in mph
or kph. unless i had to many pops, I cant find out how to adjust
the readout to show mph. the manual also states that for winter storing , I am to fill it with gas and add stablizer. then run it to circulate the stablizer into the injection. can I empty the gas and run it out so none remains. as long as i store it in a warm place .
( the laundry room.) got a geat wife! it should be good. Ive heard that stablizer is like buying a piston rod return spring, not much point if ya know what i mean! The manual also doesnt say how many miles per gallon? , now I know that this is a relative thing ,
mpg is proportionate to how much you twist , but why not a ballpark figure? what would a decent fuel range be? 175 miles?
I havent put a full tank thru her yet so .... I live in the heart of the cariboo , no rush hour , and only one traffic light ! thanks for any
info . cars and trucks scare me but not as much as moose do!
ride safe!

rockshoxbiker
09-14-2003, 04:40 PM
i don't think you can adjust from Km/h to Mph. I had an 02 and they are supposedly identical. I put stabilizer in the tank, filled it up, rode for about 20km and topped up with gas, before putting it away last year. Only problem i had was a f/u'ed battery probably due to a crappy battery tender.

my range varied from 160 to 210 before the light came on. oddly enough, the 1000 and 600 got better range than i did.

jonesboy
09-14-2003, 07:47 PM
Erm, fuel lubricates the injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure sensor, etc... I would just use the stabilizer. Empty the tank afterwards if you want, but running an EFI engine dry is very bad for the FI parts.

Just my two cents...

-Matt

gixxstar
09-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Nice storage spot! Run the stabilizer through it. It isn't worth it not to. The money you save really isn't worth it. I would compare injector cleaner to piston return springs but not the fuel stabilizer. If you really don't want to at least run the bike every now and then and leave some gas in it.

BTW, in Canada, as well a 100 Mile House we use Km/hr, they're not so bad, give them a chance. If not, search gixxer.com. There's tonnes of info on gixxers on that site. I think it's an easy switch.

Dano750
09-14-2003, 09:51 PM
thanks for the replies all, I'll do the stabilizer thing. didnt want to come off as a redneck by wantin the mph readout , just wanted the difference. but a big thanks for the address for gixxer.com . didnt know that existed. question; haven't you ever wanted to get your hands on that racer X engine they had in the speed racer cartoons? you know, the one that made reality all wavey and distorted because it went too fast. lol. thanks again.... hick

Gixxer_108
09-15-2003, 08:00 AM
with my '02 750 I get about 200-210km before fuel light starts to flash, about another 60km after that. by the way let's hook up for a ride, I'm at the 108.

SRAD
09-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Your reserve is 60 km??? Wow..thats good. id like to run my bike fron fill up to bare bone dry where the bike sputters and literally runs out of gas totally...while carryin a small bit of gas in a little container to get me to a gas station :D

Commuter Boy
09-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by SRAD
Your reserve is 60 km??? Wow..thats good. id like to run my bike fron fill up to bare bone dry where the bike sputters and literally runs out of gas totally...while carryin a small bit of gas in a little container to get me to a gas station :D

I got one of those 1l fuel bottles from MEC. Saved my butt
from a long push a couple of times.

CG
09-18-2003, 01:37 AM
ya, canadian spec speedo's dont convert to mph :( i've heard 01+ american speedos can, but i've only heard and never seen.

wuntunmein88
09-24-2003, 12:09 AM
did you read the entire manual? on my bike I can select km/miles by pushing on the select button, but that's a honda.

rob270
09-24-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by hick

I havent put a full tank thru her yet

let me get this straight........

you bought a new Gixxer 750 and you haven't gone through one tank of gas???

Give me your bike you don't deserve it.