View Full Version : BCSB Newbie/Mentor Registry

Android
09-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Riding is getting more and more popular. That's a great thing, but it also means that there are a whole bunch of newbies who can't wait to get out there, but need some mentoring to do it.

That catagory includes me. :eek

I know a few people who ride, but I'm hesitant to ask them to take the time to really teach me how... I'm sure it's not the easiest or most fun thing to do with your time.

Therefore, wouldn't it be cool if there were a list of the people in a given area who were willing to donate their time and wisdom to help out the newbs and make the streets safer? And a list of the newbies who are looking for help?

I'll put myself down as the first newbie. Anybody who wants to be in the registry as a mentor/newbie, please post:

- Name (on BCSB)
- Experience level
For the moment, let's limit the newbies to those who have a bike, gear, and a learners license.

Kamloops
Mentors
Name......................Experience
(none)
Newbies
Android...................Learners, could pass MST, very little street experience

I'll try to keep the list as updated as I can.

littlespeedfighter
09-18-2003, 12:53 PM
We're you thinking a mentor program after you take a mc course or instead of taking a mc course? If you want serious help without the worries of picking up "experienced" rider bad habits, take a course. It's the safest bet.

Sliver
09-18-2003, 01:09 PM
wow, this is a really good idea. ;)

i think it would be just fine especially if people had access to more than one "mentor"... or at least kept in mind that each rider, no matter how experienced, has their own technique and opinions.

SpideRider
09-18-2003, 01:22 PM
I'll gladly spend my time helping some noobs after they've completed a MC course, or maybe just before.
I live in Mission.

Hu99
09-18-2003, 02:47 PM
Geez, I could sure use a mentor. Gotta lose these 22 years of bad habits somehow.

jaephu
09-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Hu99
Geez, I could sure use a mentor. Gotta lose these 22 years of bad habits somehow.

I got you covered Hu; I will be your mentor.

I got almost 2 months of riding under my belt and I've had my license for about 3-4 months :)

Otter
09-18-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm happy to help out new riders.

Class 6 for 12 years (4 years active riding). Kits.

Hu99
09-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Seriously I wouldn't mind helping out if I can. Not sure how it would work, but I'd be willing to pitch in. Not sure how much help could be, but there must be a million things that have happened in my riding career that a newb wouldn't neccesarily be aware of. C'mon someone....organize it!:rider

SRAD
09-18-2003, 11:05 PM
I will teach wheelies!

inline79
09-19-2003, 12:24 AM
This has given me another idea.. people carpool, why can't we bike-pool?

My coworker turned in his bike for the winter, so I'm out someone to follow over the bridge for the next month... any vancouver to richmond commuters? I just know one of these big-rigs on marine dr or knight st. has my name on it...

Kingz
09-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Kamloops
Mentors
(none)
Newbies
Android...................Learners, could pass MST, very little street experience

Lower Mainland
Mentors
(none)
Newbies
Kingz.......................Class 6 (1 month), BCSC Skills/Traffic

Like that? :)

greenboy
09-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by SpideRider
I'll gladly spend my time helping some noobs after they've completed a MC course, or maybe just before.
I live in Mission.

Good idea, but I am in complete agreement that the newb should be currently in, or have recently taken, a credible training course. Not a good idea to "learn" the basic stuff from someone without real motorcycle training experience. Speaking for myself, the poor newb would just pick up on my long list of bad habits.

Also, what constitutes a mentor? Yeah, I know - more questions than answers.

Subject to the above, I'd be glad to help out.

MiKER
09-20-2003, 07:43 PM
would love to have an experienced rider show me some tips before i put my bike away....(insurance expires in 2 wks....)