View Full Version : Buy your 1st bike with or without fairings??

jeffy74
10-20-2003, 01:06 AM
Since almost everyone says that new riders will inevitably drop their bikes and because it is so expensive to repair or replace fairings, does everyone think it's a better idea to initially buy a bike that doesn't have fairings so when the bike is dropped it will get little or no damage? I really don't wanna buy a new bike with full fairings and have huge repair costs if and when I drop it.

jschapansky
10-20-2003, 06:58 AM
dont buy a naked bike. most of them are pretty ugly.. although there are a few exceptions. Put some sliders on it and you will have less damage yet still look nice.

greenboy
10-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by borderline
buy a new bike ,replace the plastic with race glass ,and you can fix that shit forever ,then when you sell it you can tell the poor sucker who buys it ,that it has never been dropped .Don't get a naked bike for that reason ,naked bikes get fucked up just the same ,,only thing is that hard metal parts get screwed up .No matter what you buy ,,the first thing you buy ,,even before a helmet ,,get some frame sliders ,,$100 could save possibly thousands in repairs ,,,

then buy a helmet ,,

That "poor sucker" could be someone on this board, or someone like yourself when you are new and eager, and looking for that first bike. It wouldn't feel good being ripped off like that. Do unto others ...

By the way, there are other telltale signs of crashes, not just bodywork.

Also, let's set the record straight. Helmets are more important than frame sliders, unless the rider's brain is worth less than the bodywork on his bike, or a $100 set of frame sliders. You choose.

Buy whatever you want, naked or clothed, that is. You are aware that clothing costs a lot to replace - do you want to run that risk, and resultant cost? That's the question. If it were me I'd buy naked for the very reasons you posted in your original question.

Good luck.

Android
10-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by jschapansky
dont buy a naked bike. most of them are pretty ugly..

That's personal preference. The naked look is getting more popular, and if you get the right kind of bike it's got metal bars/guards to protect the important stuff.

My Seca has been dropped once, but you wouldn't know it if I replaced the engine guards.

The only reason I'd go with a fairing bike over a naked bike is wind... sitting upright with no protection in gusty wind on the highway gets real old real fast. For around town it kicks ass though. :D

gixxstar
10-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Steve, get off your high-horse :). It's obviously a joke. Unless he's wearing a turban, buddy's gunna be wearing a helmet.

It comes down to personal preference. I don't recommend shying away from the bike you want because you are scared of dropping it. With sliders the naked bikes will usually crash better because there isn't much if anything to repaint. Unless you're really lucky, sliders don't usually save the paint job. Minor drops here and there aren't a big deal anyway, I've had more than a couple of those. It's crashes that are expensive and a good one will wreck any bike. With the price of factory plastic, long ass frame sliders are a MUST. Buy a friggin roll cage for that bike if you can.

Harps
10-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by jschapansky
dont buy a naked bike. most of them are pretty ugly...

No.

It's a matter of personal preferance like anything else, IMO there are a lot of naked bikes that are better looking than most plastic covered machines. Monster, Speed Triple, Tuono...etc.

jeffy - it's your money, do whatever you want with it. However, if you were a personal friend of mine asking me about this...I would recommend that you go with a naked bike. I won't get into a detailed explanation, because it always ends in an argument with someone who *thinks* they're smarter than me, telling me what's what. :rolleyes

Bottom line: If you're tall, I'd go with a dual-purpose...you can drop it, pick it up, it won't skip a beat. You can also go play in the dirt, <400cc = cheap insurance too. :)
If you're not tall (I won't say short ;)) buy an old standard to learn on. Drop it, pick it up...six months later you can sell it for what you paid for it and upgrade. :)

ssg-3000
10-20-2003, 10:11 PM
hey greenboy you sond just like my mother

Purplekawi
10-21-2003, 03:13 PM
i'm with the wind protection crowd for fairings. all of my bikes have had fairings and it wasn't till the 3rd that one hit the ground. so the theory of dropping the first bike is only valid if you believe in superstition. get what you find to be the most aethetically pleasing to you. there are some awsome looking naked bikes out there. i like my tupperware. it keeps me dryer on wet day and warmer when its cold and out of the wind when i'm doing mach 2!!

jeffy74
10-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to stick to my original plan and get my new Yamaha YZF600R with fairings and take riding courses and keep my ass off the ground! :thumbup

Purplekawi
10-22-2003, 11:12 AM
that's the spirit!! get what you want cause you'll enjoy it longer.

jeffy74
10-22-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Purplekawi
that's the spirit!! get what you want cause you'll enjoy it longer.

That's so true because if I got a bike with no fairings that I really didn't want in the first place I'd want to get another bike a year down the road. This way I'll be happy for many years to come. :D

gixxstar
10-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Remember, get long frame sliders, especially if it won't have bodywork to break the fall ;)

philtag6000
11-16-2003, 12:48 AM
Or leave the front side fairings off.

SEXYR1
11-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Well I bought and learned on a YZF600 for my first bike in May, I only had it for two weeks and I dropped it like 6 times in this two week period!, But I am a small girl and I could barely touch on this bike. Jeff I honestly think you should go for a R6 over the YZF600, This bike is very front end heavy, nice bike, but I personally didn't like it that much. I atleast touch on my R1 and have'nt dropped it, crashed it twice but that's a different story. But If ya do get the bike take the plastic off.... as for frame sliders, I'm pretty sure on a YZF600 you have to cut the plastic to fit them in anyway so your already messing up the plastic as is, Also it's not a huge deal if you have scrapes on your plastic just have fun on the bike and ride your money's worth out of it!!!

Bros
11-20-2003, 12:21 PM
jschapansky and others.... Never be afraid of Naked things. I think that a naked bike is in it's purest most beuatiful form. Much like a stripper wearing too many clothes.

I takeoffense to your antinudeite comments.

Shame on you all. :)

5thgear
11-20-2003, 05:30 PM
street fighter it

Slightly Insane
12-02-2003, 10:46 PM
helmets are over-rated. bones and lacerations heal. hard parts cost $$$$$$.