View Full Version : Any tips for the MST??

SpacemanSpiff
11-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Well, I see all these threads about the raod test, but nothing about the MST!!!!

Yeah it looks easy enough and chances are I will pass with flying colours, but still, any tips or pointers about the MST?

I'm curious cause i take it tomorrow

Crabalocker
11-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Keep your eyes up when going through the cones, don't look down at the cones, just use peripheral vision.

SpacemanSpiff
11-09-2003, 01:10 PM
never thought of that.....

K, so what EXACTLY do they make you do? From what I have heard, its Driv eslow thru those 2 long lines, weave thru a bunch of cones, do a stop, do a 90 degree turn and do the figure 8

Is that it?

InvisibleSoul
11-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Hmm... don't think they do the figure 8's anymore, or does it vary by location? When I did my MST back in July, it was...

Stopped, slow idle speed straight line, stop, do a left u-turn, weave through cones, turn right 90, turn left 90, and again left 90 and repeat once more?

I think that's how it went at Action...

SpacemanSpiff
11-09-2003, 02:12 PM
hmmmmm, none of the fast braking thing without locking up your rear tire?

Ryder88
11-09-2003, 07:08 PM
remember to put your kick stand down before gettin on the bike after they make u walk it

i didnt and just hopped on...bike started to tip, i managed to save it but crushed my nuts and was in pain through the whole test

and yes there is a fast braking test

casa
11-09-2003, 07:28 PM
go drunk :thumbup

SpacemanSpiff
11-10-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Ryder88
remember to put your kick stand down before gettin on the bike after they make u walk it

i didnt and just hopped on...bike started to tip, i managed to save it but crushed my nuts and was in pain through the whole test

and yes there is a fast braking test

LOL thats a great story, i can picture you with the bike tipping over "WHOA WHOA WHOA" cause it happened to me the other day, its amazing the amount of shit that goes thru your mind in that half a second you think your bike is going down eh?

Arnab
11-10-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
hmmmmm, none of the fast braking thing without locking up your rear tire?

yeah once u do a series of left/right turn, yu'd have to change the gear to 2nd, and then brake before a certain line..put your foot down and look back..

InvisibleSoul
11-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Whoopsie... forgot about the emergency brake thing... ah well, guess I don't remember it correctly after 4 months.

Heh... when I walked my bike up to the starting point, I neglected to check whether it was in 1st gear... :p It was actually in 2nd gear... but I still managed to do the idle speed straightline fine... but when I tried to do the u-turn, it stalled on me. :p

Dru
11-10-2003, 01:59 PM
I think Stan did a few mistakes, aside from the high speed stop. This is what I remember.

There are 2 passes of the course.

Start from a stop and do a 90 degree turn into a slow walk manouver. Stop. Do a U-turn into a slalom and return to the start point. Repeat.

Next up, high speed. Speed up to around 30-40kph, also required is a gear shift to second. So a long radius u-turn at speed and approach the instructor. Fake hitting him/her and slam the brakes without locking up the rear. Remember to shift down and check behind you when you stop. Hit the gear shift as often as possible. I slammed it 3 times and it was still in second.

Remember to check the deck, should check, and deep shoulder check.

effenay
11-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Tip: Show up at least an hour early and watch other riders take the test. Then when the examiner goes on a break, practise on the actual course. Or ask the examiner if you can do a quick practise run before the test actually begins.

If you had more time, I'd advise you to show up at the end of the day a couple days early, and practise on the actual course after they're done for the day.

CB450
11-10-2003, 11:21 PM
i did mine in burnaby about 2 months ago and it was a very, very short test...mine was 5 mins tops! no exaggeration! let's see, he made me do slalom through 6 or 7 cones 2 times. the cones are about 1.5 times bike length. make sure to not look at the cones, but look to where you want to turn to, and not at the ground either.

then he made me ride the bike slow walking speed. then u-turns...he'll make you turn your handlebar fully, then walk the bike to do a half-circle, and you have to do a u-turn from a stop in that half circle...made me do it 2x.

after that, gets you to accelerate to about 30km toward him and emergency stop when he raises his hand. then that was it for me...i was quite surprised. good luck on yours!

Bora20
11-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Try not to use your back brake for the emergency braking. It will only lock. Move your right foot slightly to make it look like you are using it, but don't.

Also, don't applied the front brake until the throttle is shutdown and the weight is transferred to the wheel. If you don't the front will lock and you will have to release it, then reapply it, which will make you stop too late.

Go pratice your U-turns. They will be hard if you haven't done them before.

Kamloops driver testing has the parking lot painted with the lines/slalom dots and you can practice there anytime you want. It must be the same elsewhere.

busta
11-17-2003, 03:20 PM
just relax and have fun!

UnToldFox
11-22-2003, 07:07 PM
mst is fun!
i took lesons, failed my first time, (they let you take it twice in one day)
cool teachers!!
you have to drive slow in a line, using your cluch, do a left turn from a stop. do a right turn from a stop, do the cones, do a u-turn from a stop (hard as shit:@!) do the cones after the U turn. then do a 30 k turn then when he drops his had you slam all your bakes, grab the cluch and shit to first!.. it was alright if we locked our tire..you just realse and apply again..

UnToldFox
11-22-2003, 07:08 PM
thats shift, not shit to first :D
have fun, and did you pass?

Aceman777
11-22-2003, 10:38 PM
the hardest thing for me at first was doing the u-turn but after a few practice runs it wasn't as difficult..Using the rear brake + clutch and little bit of throttle helped....the rest of the test is easy. Like someone said it only takes about 5 minutes to do.

SpacemanSpiff
11-24-2003, 02:56 AM
yeah i passed a few weeks ago, i think i made a post about it.....:S

i found it fucking easy as hell, the only part i fucked up on ws the first time i did the slalom i went WAY too fucking slow and was wobbling like crazy

but that was about it

Android
11-26-2003, 10:30 PM
My skills test was a bit of a mess... way too nervous, and seeing as all of my practice was done on my own (me? break the law? naw...), I hadn't yet learned to recognize when the rear wheel locked up. I was able to get it together and complete the test properly after a few tries, but make sure you've gotten lots of cone/braking practice in with experienced help.

1: Relax
2: Don't relax enough that you drop your bike when pushing it/mounting/dismounting like I almost did and I'm sure many do.
3: Don't go too fast through the cones. When you practice, do it at the slowest speed you can.
4: When they ask you to do the brake test, keep in mind that they want you to stop quickly, not freak out and slam the brakes up instantly. Firm, controlled braking is the key, and as I discovered, will give you shorter stopping distances than panic stopping and locking up the front/rear.

Hey Bora20, we gotta go on a ride sometime this spring, seeing as we're both now legally able to do so. :D

Bora20
11-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Android
Hey Bora20, we gotta go on a ride sometime this spring, seeing as we're both now legally able to do so. :D

Sure, I can kick it with you. I think I saw your bike this year at the Verse. Is it red? Send me an IM and we can hook up.

I am happy it is snowing though. It makes me happy when I look at my bike in the garage knowing that I can't ride it even when I want to.

Android
11-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Yeah, it's dark red and old. Big rectangular headlight with a smaller rectangular driving light underneath it. I'm a tall skinny guy with a black and red helmet/jacket.

I don't remember going to the Verse at all this year, but I did go up to Kamloops Yamaha once.

Lookin forward to the spring! :rider

ryanb
11-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Dont fall off.

simx
12-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey guys,

Hmmm hint's...don't put your feet down, do they get
you for that still, like twice and it's a fail?
My other suggestion is, use a dirtbike for the test. I did, way
easier and more nimble.

Well anyways, I was watching someone do the MST at
a MVB and it scared the shit out of me when he stalled.
It look like he was not gonna catch it, my heart probably
beated just as fast as his. I think he was using a 750
sportbike.

:thumbup Good Luck !!!

gixxergirl
12-15-2003, 05:37 PM
I took my MST on my bosses' old 250 cruiser. That thing can do a U-turn in one parking stall. If you can get your hands on a bike like that it is the way to go. But for the class 6 sportbike all the way.