BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Is ICBC really that bad?

• Yes, screw them over, whenever, however, and for as much as you can as often as is possible. they sc

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • yes, but respect authority, and virtue. what goes around comes around.

Votes: 38 44.7%
  • no, we pay whats due.

Votes: 18 21.2%

good grief

3K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Deputy 
#1 ·
so i've got a bit of a rant for ya here. i recently wrote off my bike(not yet confirmed), and am in the process of receiving my due. no problems so far. i pay for insurance to cover the unexpected, and now i expect appropriate coverage. no more, no less. my problem is with people who bitch about icbc and then proceed to rape them. apparently -and i don't know much about claims- i can claim for injuries(chipped bone in foot and hand). i couldn't walk for 1 day; i still cant write, but it will heal. but why the hell would i deserve money for this. im not gonna ask for 10g for this crap as was suggested by my co-workers. I honestly don't know if its true i can get it, but they were telling me too. why does our insurance cost so much? I know i'm pointing out the obvious and previously stated by millions, but my fury was renewed. heres a real case in point: one of my buddies was in a fender bender. he's bloody sueing for 20g. he took physio for about a mth. which im convinced he didnt need, but was told by his lawyer to take. all the while he was hangin out, goin to the beach, and within a mth going downhill mtn biking etc. :rolleyes

so here's a little poll for you guys out there

#2 ·
some people do get fucked up and hurt and need the money because they are missing work.
yes some people do rape ICBC because they can, but on the other side, some people really need it.
I didn't claim any of my 3 accidents. (none of witch i was the driver in) but I do blame my back problems onthe accidents. (at the time I didn't know you could claim and such.. go figure)
My sister was in one minor accident, her back was hurt, i guess. and she got two grand, she was a passanger in that accident aswell. she thought ICBC was just going to cover the cost of the backcracker.

#3 ·
Listen, it all balances out.

Some people screw ICBC and ICBC in turn screws everyone else. Some people magically steal their bikes to fix that wheelie damage and other people have to wait for months for that not-at-fault payout.

So here it is:
big FUCK YOU to scammers and
bif FUCK YOU to ICBC.

Thank you.

G
#6 ·
Some lame-ass people see an accident as a good chance to cash in. However, I have no sympathy for ICBC, they have screwed their fair share of people as well. like miteorite said, it all evens out, and the rest of us have to pay the balance. :2guns

#7 ·
if i was you i'd be up front about your injury , as long as you have documented proof of your injury, as in dr's reports. they will treat you fairly. what you don't want to do is settle for x amount of dollars , and a year or two down the road , you find that you still suffer from this accident. leave your injury claim open, do not sign the closure form. they want to dangle a carrot in your face with x amount of money and ask you to close .this is how many of you guys get fokked on personal injury claims. just make sure you are well healed before signing the closure form...... bikes can be repaired or replaced, you only have one body :2cents

#8 ·
if you write off your own bike and it's your fault, I *think* (don't know a LOT about personal injury law, but a bit) that you have a right to part 7 benefits...physio and shit...but you're not gonna get a settlement...for that, it has to be someone else's fault...you can't sue yourself

report your friend to ICBC if you have a problem with it, just call in an anonymous tip saying that you've seen him doing shit that he says he can't do...he certainly won't get much then....if you don't have a problem with it, let his case work itself out

I have a wrist problem as a result of a car accident that was not my fault - it didn't stop me from golfing and doing various other things...it's just that everything was more limited and hurt to do and I told the truth...it didn't hurt the case in the end, that's for sure

#10 ·
Miteorite said:
Listen, it all balances out.

Some people screw ICBC and ICBC in turn screws everyone else. Some people magically steal their bikes to fix that wheelie damage and other people have to wait for months for that not-at-fault payout.

So here it is:
big FUCK YOU to scammers and
bif FUCK YOU to ICBC.

Thank you.

im not sure i agree. icbc isnt "screwing" anyone simply b/c they are getting revenge, but out of necessity that they be hard-asses in order to reduce the fraudulent claims. not so much screwing, as doing their job, which happens to work for and against their customers. over-all intent to be "for." imagine what our premiums would be if they werent like this. im sure you all know of people who have burned cars, driven them off cliffs, crashed them or stolen them from a friend, to receive money. icbc's job is to determine who's doin it. in order to do so they pretty much have to approach each case as if the claimant(is that a word) is guilty(opposite of courts). if icbc was never lied to, they wouldn't ever have to be this way; they could set their rates with a percentage profit and do business like everyone else. lying's wrong. simple.

so i say fu scammers
and f***, i hate our rates. but thats no fault but our own(some of us excluded).

As for legitimate injury claims, i sympathise. im still not sure i agree though. pain sucks, but if a friend accidently hurt you, you probably wouldn't sue him. does everything have to be converted to money these days. yes, if you are out of a job due to injury or need to cover medical expenses. but accidents happen people, why is it always somebodies fault. monetary revenge does not teach lessons. it makes a vengeful world. if you are the perfect driver that has never tail-gated, always done all shoulder checks, mirror checks, kept both hands on the wheel, never exceeded posted limit and decreased speed below limit due to bad weather conditions; made complete stops, never turned music up so loud as to hinder awareness, never.....and always....you get the impossibility of the point. b/c if you do all that you can still cause an accident, and i don't think it would be anyones fault. if you dont do that, and someone hits you, you are a contributor to the problem as a whole, and therefore guilty by association.

this is all speaking out of ignorance of exactly how icbc works. lets see in a couple weeks how i feel. ive been wrong b4

mike

p.s. this is way too long. sorry guys.
p.p.s. moderators-feel free to move this to appropriate forum.

#11 ·
I have dealt with private insurance in Ontario and I have dealt with ICBC out here. ICBC is sick, if they can screw you over, they will. I don't want to go into details as I am sure other people on this board can relate. They have a monopoly on insurance and that is the reason they can get away with what they do. Private insurance on the other hand was a dream, ebert and roeper say 2 thumbs up.

G
#12 ·
I've honsetly had nothing but good experience dealing with ICBC. I've had some tickets, no fault has ever been assessed to me for the accidents I've been in. I wrote off my zx7 (i was doing 70k's and t-boned a left turner)with zero injury and they gave me $1000. They are harsh too some but they need to be or else all the B.S. scammers around would be trying even harder and be getting even more of my premium money. I say good job-weed out the liars/cheaters and we'll be better off.

Does my insurance cost too much? - no. I just don't make enough money to have EVERY toy I want(yet).

I sleep fine-as long as I stay on up on my high horse(?!)

#13 ·
Persoanlly, I fuckin hate ICBC, they've bent me over sideways more then once.. I wrote off my dads care a couple years back and they put us through holy hell cause I was driving it.. a year later, they tried dinging the charges on me for it, a 70% surplus to cover a car which we got $2700 for, when it was suppsoed to fall under my dads "free accident" road star category.. Last year I was in a parking lot STANDING and was hit by some psycho fuck in a truck.. cracked/bruised some ribs pretty badly and got one HELL of a concussion.. I had concussion problems in the past, about 3 years back, which had finally gone away for a couple years and boom they came back.. I didnt miss anytime at work, since i sit in a fuckin desk and type, so they hassled me about that.. the symptoms of the ribs lasted a month, concussion problems were about a couple months long and I still havent seen shit for that.. then there was the incident were my friends car got shot 4 times (yes, by a gun) and when he brought it in to have it fixed the hassled the SHIT out of him saying it was his fault blah blah blah.. ICBC can suck my <insert graphic term here>

#15 ·
If you don't think that 10g is right to compinsate you for your hand, just wait until you are 50 or 60 years old. A slight limp today could be a debilitating weakness later in life. Take the money and take all the time you can to heal. 10g is nothing in the larger scheme of things. That doesn't even cover the cost of replacing a cbr600. A cbr600 can be biult anew, your body cannot.

-Sandworm

#16 ·
I had a really shitty experience with ICBC.. My 96 ZX7R was towed by Busters towing in downtown Vancouver. The asshole tow truck driver cause damage to 3 areas of my bike. He admitted nothing. He changed his story a few times. Surprisingly his manager took responsibility on his behalf for only 1 out of the 3 areas damaged. I spent countless hours speaking to other tow truck drivers to ask them how they tow bikes and countless hours documenting the damages and the inconsistencies with the tow truck driver's stories...This dragged on for a few months..the end of a long story is that even with pages and pages of proof that the damages were tow related, ICBC was not able to do anything for me unless the tow driver admits fault.

Get this, as soon as ICBC knew that I would be taking this to small claims court, they were very reluctant to help me out and the time it took them to return my phone calls took longer. Every question I ask via email was responded to in a generic and ambiguous manner. The reason was that if it went to small claims court, I would be suing the tow truck driver, who is employed by busters towing. Busters towing would represent the tow driver. However, busters towing has a garage policy with ICBC so it would be an ICBC representative acting on behalf of the tow truck company. Therefore, the people representing my insurance claim would be ICBC and the person representing Busters towing would be from ICBC due to the garage policy. WTF???? just a slight comflict of interest.

All the ICBC people who I dealt with would be fired if it was a private insurance company because their level of customer service was poor and their expertise in their line of work is sub standard. Needless to say that I go through private insurance for my bike and for my car.

#17 ·
Sandworm said:
If you don't think that 10g is right to compinsate you for your hand, just wait until you are 50 or 60 years old. A slight limp today could be a debilitating weakness later in life. Take the money and take all the time you can to heal. 10g is nothing in the larger scheme of things. That doesn't even cover the cost of replacing a cbr600. A cbr600 can be biult anew, your body cannot.

-Sandworm

Im with sandworm on this one....

#18 ·
Rioghan said:
On a side note, ICBC has a disgusting monoply over the insurance companies of BC.. that alone is, imo, enough reason to hate them.. not to mention they turn a nice PROFIT every year, and were does that money go? no were near the publics benefit..
So, why not insure your bike privately??
If your pissed at them about not being paid for a claim, get a lawyer (you will have to do that with private, why wouldn't you do that with ICBC?)

#19 ·
3 of 7 said:
So, why not insure your bike privately??
If your pissed at them about not being paid for a claim, get a lawyer (you will have to do that with private, why wouldn't you do that with ICBC?)

Wasn't aware that private insurance was in place now.. when the hell did that happen?!?!

Newayys, regardin my claim, I do have a lawyer (good friend of there family, queens council, thats a big FUCK YOU icbc :thumbup ) whos going to begin working on it soon.. Intially I though, alright, Ill give icbc some time on this cause it WAS a hit and run and there were multiple people hit, so i figured it would be rather time consuming.. Though, I found out 3 peoples claims haev already been settled, and everytime I call my "personal adjuster" the asshole just beats around the bush and makes excuses for delays, as if, hes trying to say something to appease me and get me off the phone at th e same time..
I finally got fed up and made my lawyer contact last week, so now its hardball time :evilgrin

#22 ·
rioghan i seriously doubt that. look into insurance in ontario. we may not be alberta, but we have it fairly good. if you are not an at risk driver, your insurance isnt sky high, and if you are, it is for a reason. icbc might seem to 'screw' a lot of people, but what are they soposed to do, close their eyes and sign checks?

#23 ·
#25 ·
Rioghan said:
'Scuuuuuuuse me If I dont catch everything on the forums.. What crawled up your knickers? got a hard-on for icbc or something?
Not at all, I'm one of the old farts that can buy private insurance, so it's not gonna matter a damn to me when their gone....I get private insurance (optional) right now, they didn't ask me if I had an alarm or bugger all, I don't think they even asked how long I had my bike licence......
My point is, ICBC can't refuse to sell you insurance because of your age or what kind of bike you ride or yadda yadda........Private companies can and will insure ONLY THOSE people who the can make money off!!!
If your under 30 and ride a sportbike and live in the 604 you'll likely be riding without insurance.....They'll just say no :banghead

#26 ·
3 of 7 said:
Not at all, I'm one of the old farts that can buy private insurance, so it's not gonna matter a damn to me when their gone....I get private insurance (optional) right now, they didn't ask me if I had an alarm or bugger all, I don't think they even asked how long I had my bike licence......
My point is, ICBC can't refuse to sell you insurance because of your age or what kind of bike you ride or yadda yadda........Private companies can and will insure ONLY THOSE people who the can make money off!!!
If your under 30 and ride a sportbike and live in the 604 you'll likely be riding without insurance.....They'll just say no :banghead

I responded for ya in your thread you linked, but ill slap it in here to :p

When i was talkin to my adjuster a few years back, he mentioned if privatization was put in place, then what would likely happen is icbc records etc would be bought by a larger insurance company such as.. shit, still cant remember there name, H something.. anyways, what would transpire (I would imagine) is they would be able to control the market and essentially force smaller companies to be more leniant in who the choose to insure and keep there rates low, thus creating a strong market.. Of course thats the IDEAL, and chances are that even in that scenario we'd be paying a touch more then with icbc, but hell.. Im so fuckin sick of icbc, that it seems worth it to pay extra per month just to be rid of them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.