View Full Version : Custom Made Ear Plugs

CoolDaddyGroove
07-02-2002, 10:02 AM
I got tired of teh wind noise and figured it was time to bite the bullet. IRIS Visual Group in Guildford Mall will make you a custom pair of ear plugs for $115.00. You have a number of choices on the DB levels that will be eliminated. They can help you choose. The procedure is kinda cool as they pump this goop into your ears that looks like pink bubblegum, then let it harden for a bout 5 mins.

If you want great fit, and hearing for a lifetime I highly recommend them. You can use them for other applications too like sleeping in noisy hotel rooms or sleeping with snorers (but still hear the alarm clock).

The ones I chose (choice of 4 colors) allow you to hear sirens, car horns etc.

IRIS 604.589.8947

Miteorite
07-02-2002, 10:14 AM
Do they allow you to embed stuff like earphones in them?
Kinda funny, iris VISUAL group..
it's the geek in me.

CoolDaddyGroove
07-02-2002, 10:15 AM
Nope! They are just silicone plugs molded to your ear canal. And yes, they are an eyeglass store.

vrecksler
07-02-2002, 10:18 AM
Or if you want the same thing but only want to pay $80, see Sonas in Langley. :)

Human
07-02-2002, 10:23 AM
if you ain't in no hurry i would wait till the abbotsford motorcycle show, there are always 2-3 tables with people dealing in custom and nicely colored ear plugs....

atomlowe
07-11-2002, 02:23 PM
CDG....how do they feel so far. Is there any discomfort wearing them for long periods of time? I've been thinking it was time for a set myself.

CoolDaddyGroove
07-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Well Human, if you read between the lines of most of my posts you'll learn I can't wait for anything. I had some free time (rare) was in teh neighborhood and just got them.

As for how they feel Atomlowe, I haven't got them yet (probably next week). It takes about 2 weeks to have them made.

Bean
07-11-2002, 11:08 PM
Hey! I've had these type of ear plus before. They are well worth the investment. We had to have them where I used to work, I wore them for 12 hour shifts. They're alot better than those foam things. And you can still hear someone talk clearly at normal levels, and you don't end up shouting either. I haven't been able to find them since I bought my bike.:firemad

CoolDaddyGroove
07-12-2002, 04:29 AM
Well Bean, now you know where to find them..Guildford Mall in Surrey

TeeTee
07-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Don't remember the name but there's a place out by Action that does these as well. $80

And take a lesson from me. When they squirt that goop into your ears lean FORWARD and put your arms onto a chair in front of you so that you are like you sit on your bike. I got a set and just sat normally in the chair and so now my plugs work great for sitting or standing but when I bend forward and raise my head the ear canal shape changes and an air channel opens up and I might as well be wearing nothin'. So sit in your riding position while it cures.

Motor noises are optional........ :D

Hoser
07-19-2002, 11:59 AM
Hey Guys'

I just had a set made at a hearing clinic. Cost me $85.-. Next day I stopped in at Costco and they will make them for $55.-. Pissed me off that I spend the extra cash though.
Anyway, if you know somebody that has a membership you can save yourself some money.

Uwe

TeeTee
07-19-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Eddie
Most any hearing aid store will set you up as well. Negotiate yer price.

Good idea TeeTee on the leaning forward.
Wellll gol-lee, yur juss-a-bout the gawl darn smart-test per-son uh think uh ever met, yeeuk yeeuk yeeuk.

Well, if I was so gawl darn smart-test then how come I got this here waste of money set of non sealing custom ear plugs??????

But I DO appreciate the sentiment.

And I'm SO glad that no one has figured out that the only reason I'm so smart is because I've made so many mistakes on the road to smartdom....... :D

TeeTee
07-19-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Hoser
Hey Guys'

I just had a set made at a hearing clinic. Cost me $85.-. Next day I stopped in at Costco and they will make them for $55.-. Pissed me off that I spend the extra cash though.
Anyway, if you know somebody that has a membership you can save yourself some money.

Uwe

Ooooo, I can get some cheap replacements made up.... Which Costco was this? I'm assuming that not ALL of them will do this.

Hoser
07-20-2002, 07:46 PM
The Costco in Abbotsford. Not sure about other ones as you mentioned.

vrecksler
07-20-2002, 08:55 PM
Bmatthews, I wish I had had that advice last year when I got my ear plugs made. I did not even think of the changing ear shape and now, like you said, when I am sitting in traffic there is a nice seal but as soon as I lean forward to start riding, it is awfully loud.

Do you think I could take them back to the place I got them and ask for a replacement set? They knew they were for motorcycle use, and I was told of leaning forward or anything. :)

Clarkb
07-21-2002, 09:05 PM
Yes this is probably one of the better htings i can think to do for the bike, but can you still hear you bike as well as you want with custom plugs, i asume it just cuts out the exhuast droning.