View Full Version : Bad weather ahead.

Hu99
03-02-2002, 10:16 AM
I was going to insure and go for a ride this weekend, but have you seen the forecast for Monday and Tuesday? Minus 4C and Flurries:eek What the hell is that? This should be winter's last kick at the can, so when the cold snap is done, and the salt's been washed away, I'll make a trip down to Autoplan.

BTW, for all you guys riding this week, are you finding any salt clinging to your aluminum? They've been dumping a lot of salt on the roads because of the morning frost.:rolleyes It looks good out there right now, but still too damn cold. There's a window of riding comfort about 2 hours long. Not enough to spill $$$ into ICBC yet.

CG
03-02-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Hu99
I was going to insure and go for a ride this weekend, but have you seen the forecast for Monday and Tuesday? Minus 4C and Flurries:eek What the hell is that? This should be winter's last kick at the can, so when the cold snap is done, and the salt's been washed away, I'll make a trip down to Autoplan.

BTW, for all you guys riding this week, are you finding any salt clinging to your aluminum? They've been dumping a lot of salt on the roads because of the morning frost.:rolleyes It looks good out there right now, but still too damn cold. There's a window of riding comfort about 2 hours long. Not enough to spill $$$ into ICBC yet.

salt?? what salt?? I haven't seen any.... If my bike begins to rust, then i'll know :) though I have found a few bolts connecting to the engine have rust on them.... hmmmmm.... well... i've been neglecting to wash and wax my baby in the past month.... I think i'll do that after the ride today :)

arai
03-02-2002, 10:25 AM
this is vancouver, there's always bad weather ahead. Get on your bike and ride :D Todays origional forcast was for it to be cloudy and raining.

-arai-

Hu99
03-02-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by arai
this is vancouver, there's always bad weather ahead. Get on your bike and ride :D Todays origional forcast was for it to be cloudy and raining.
-arai-

Maybe it's just age, but IT'S TOO BLOODY COLD!!:D

TeeTee
03-02-2002, 10:35 AM
CG, I'm pretty sure that stuff we saw on the side of the fence in the lot at the Albion ferry was salt. And I've seen lots of traces of it in the gutters when riding on the wednesday and again on Thursday when I did an errand run and short ride.

They dump lots out here these days but NOTHING like back east. But the amount they use out here will still do a number on your steel hardware. And for you and others that ride all year don't even THINK about poishing your frame. The salt would cut little corrosion holes in there in a flash. Polished frames and wheels look very cool but they are only good for fair weather rides unless you're willing to be totally anal about washing and light maintainence polishing.

Hu99
03-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by BMatthews
Polished frames and wheels look very cool but they are only good for fair weather rides unless you're willing to be totally anal about washing and light maintainence polishing.

Huh, huh...he said anal..huh

xenz
03-02-2002, 12:07 PM
I was going to insure and go for a ride this weekend, but have you seen the forecast for Monday and Tuesday? Minus 4C and Flurries:eek What the hell is that? I don't think so by the look of this (http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_ir_enh_west_loop-12.html), unless there is another system build up in the Pacific, or the high pressure move south.

Hu99
03-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by xenz
I don't think so by the look of this (http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_ir_enh_west_loop-12.html), unless there is another system build up in the Pacific, or the high pressure move south.

Good pic, but it sure gets dark in the Pacific quickly.:D I was going by the www.weatheroffice.com site. 5-day for Vancouver includes flurries for Mon & Tues. :mad

xenz
03-02-2002, 01:02 PM
Good pic, but it sure gets dark in the Pacific quickly.:D
Get dark :confused ah... I believe that page need Java to run and was suppose to be the past 12 hours weather system movement animation. If you only see one pic which is half darkened then may need to use Java 'cos that's just one pic out of 12.

I can see the reason why they forecast Mon and Tues will have flurries, system from the Northern BC were coming down South bringing snow, but provided that the high pressure system we have here right now is not moving away from us, that Low system will vanish before hitting Greater Vancouver.

I use that instead of any weather site 'cos I can be my own weatherman, telling from how the system move, I can get the better estimate on how the weather is coming instead of hearing "Sunny with cloudly period, rain and thunderstorm in the afternoon and snow around midnight thing".... I believe they were afraid of people suing them so they bring all possibility out to the public, and they can always blame the weather is unpredictable.

Hu99
03-02-2002, 01:09 PM
I meant the part where the West side of the pic goes black for the last frame. It was a poor attemp at humour.:D

Thanks for the insightful weather analysis though. I hope you're right. But even if we miss the snow, it's going to be cold for a week or so. Damn!

bl1tz
03-02-2002, 01:54 PM
weather forecast is so inaccurate these days, it was suppose to rain on tuesday and wednesday but instead it was SUNNY.
just insure the bike, you know you wanna..:D

TeeTee
03-02-2002, 02:56 PM
30 bucks for a one day permit vs 130 for the whole month. So if I get 4 1/3 days of riding in over the next month I break even. Hmmmmmm

Ah hell, I cant do it. Just paid a WAD for my F2 tires and stainless brake lines. Gonna have to wait.

Hu99
03-02-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by bl1tz
weather forecast is so inaccurate these days, it was suppose to rain on tuesday and wednesday but instead it was SUNNY.
just insure the bike, you know you wanna..:D

Yeah, I know I wanna. But there's only so much moolah. Insuring in Feb for the few freezing day will mean not being insured for the several nice days in October. Besides, I'm trying to get a digital camera for this season and every little bit helps. You wanna make a donation, Bl1tz?:D

vrecksler
03-02-2002, 05:00 PM
Hu99, just insure the bike already! :) I would insure mine if it was together, but right now I just have the tank and the tail piece. I still have to put on all the fairings and front signals. Damn Parts411 still have not sent my flushmounts!

But after this last snow of the season, I should have my bike ready to roll. I put the battery in and turned her over today for the first time since November, she fired right up without hesitation. I was a little worried because when I took the tank off I had to remove the fuel pump and a bunch of wires came undone, but I guess I hooked it all up correctly after all!
:)

bl1tz
03-02-2002, 07:54 PM

Yeah, I know I wanna. But there's only so much moolah. Insuring in Feb for the few freezing day will mean not being insured for the several nice days in October. Besides, I'm trying to get a digital camera for this season and every little bit helps. You wanna make a donation, Bl1tz?:D

i should be the one asking for donations !!!
hahahahaha..... being a student sux
im gonna hold off putting one day insurance on the bike again until late march or april when i can put the bike back on the road.
32/day is a freakin ripoff

Bluestone
03-03-2002, 02:06 AM
we can all save some coin by doing group purchases for all our accessories!! Anyone else in for a digital cam group buy?

Human
03-03-2002, 02:49 AM
I thought stainless steel was rust proof ?