: what would this cost me?

arai
03-10-2002, 08:03 PM
After making a couple r6's I'm curious what this would cost me. Any guesses?
Maybe minus decals as I can do that later. I think it would be nice to have an r6 that no one else has. Sorry about the white seat rip r6rider. I've also got one that uses red seats. At this point its just fun and games but the more I make the more I want to show up at our meets with my custom r6 :D

-arai-

http://members.shaw.ca/danmayer114477/newr6.jpg

TeeTee
03-10-2002, 08:16 PM
If you're willing to do this without using a base clear combo and if you do your own prep sanding it might be quite reasonable. It IS two colors though so that will add some.

I'll go out on a limb and say $700-800 if you find a smaller and hungry shop.

adamantium
03-10-2002, 09:11 PM
I'd say less than that.. your only doing your tail section and the lower fairings .. I was planning on doing the same thing with mine.. I actually picked up a number from a paint shop at the Maverick's thing today and his prices poster were cheap, I'm going to see what he could do.

I figure about $500-600 with stickering.. don't know about that seat though.. probably not much, just recover it. I see it being a problem though (white gets real dirty real fast), although it does look sweet.

CG
03-10-2002, 09:15 PM
i dunno about those seats.... but the stickering alone should cost around 100-150.

arai
03-10-2002, 09:18 PM
I'm seriously considering this now. also, would that be by prepping it myself?
Yeah I hear you about the white seat thing, I've got a couple variants that use different seat colors and leave the tail section red. I think I'll start calling around looking for some quotes... heh this is gonna be fun

Anyone know how hard it is to get the decals off the fairings/tank on this guy, is it a recipe for disaster or do-able? With those decals removed I could get away with very little painting and just a decal pass. hmmm interesting

-arai-

adamantium
03-10-2002, 09:37 PM
I believe www.sportbikeguy.com has some directions. Just need a hairdryer and a whole lot of time.

CG
03-10-2002, 10:00 PM
after you get the stickers off, dab a cloth into a little bit of gasoline and wipe across the sticky left over goo from the stickers, thats what I did anyhow....

adamantium
03-10-2002, 10:34 PM
Ya, I did that too.. gas made life easier. Although I hear it's not the best way to do it, I suppose it may damage paint or something.. I heard glue-gone doesn't work very well either..

arai
03-10-2002, 10:44 PM
you took your decals off? The pic in the bc bikes section looks like you've still got em all

-arai-

CG
03-10-2002, 10:48 PM
no I still have my decals, but that was the technique I used to remove the warning stickers that comes with the new bike. The old hair dryer then gasoline to remove the sticky left over goo.

adamantium
03-10-2002, 11:13 PM
I think both of us are referring to SOME of the stickers.. if you took the ones off your tank (you know, the warning ones) and your windscreen, expect the same trouble with the rest of them. The only royal pain in the ass would be the gastank, because they're clearcoated over (so that if you spill some gas it doesn't eat away at the shiny Yamaha sticker .. ;))

TeeTee
03-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Ordinary "low odour" thinner meant for oil based house paints works really well for the sticky goo and I've never seen it attack any sort of automotive paint. Hell, it doesn't even attack the house paint after it's dried. I'm not 100% certain but I think the same stuff is sold under the Varsol cleaning solvent name.

And removing the stickers this way only works if they aren't clear coated over. Otherwise you would have to score the clear coat all around the edge first.

The prep work for painting is pretty easy. You just need to use 1500 or 2000 grit wet or dry to take off the shine so the new paint has some tooth to grip. But keeping the freshly sanded surfaces clean of any finger oils or other contaminants is a big problem so check with the paint shop first. They might convince you that it's easier or better to let them do it. They are the experts. I'm just going from what I've heard from some painter friends.

Digi168
03-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by absolutdm
I'd say less than that.. your only doing your tail section and the lower fairings .. I was planning on doing the same thing with mine.. I actually picked up a number from a paint shop at the Maverick's thing today and his prices poster were cheap, I'm going to see what he could do.

If you are refering to DirtyWerks painting, I would recommend looking for another shop. I had a bike painted by him and it was less than stellar, also a friend had a tank done and he wasn't to happy either.

Sometimes it is better to pay a little more to get a good job.

Digi168
03-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Easiest way is to just use a hair dryer, takes about 3-5 mins per decal depending on outside tempature.

Just make sure that when you pull the decal off that you bet both parts the clear plastic on top and the paper sticker underneath. If you just pull the plastic off it will be a bitch to get the sticker off.

Once you have managed to get the stickers off, use a clean cloth and some WD40 to remove the remaining glue. Then rinse it off, wax it up, and your ready to go.

If you take your time with the hair dryer, the whole sticker and glue all comes off in one piece.

This works for the warning decals that come on YAMAHA bikes, and should work for all others.

Long live WD-40

adamantium
03-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Digi, have you attempted to remove the YAMAHA decal from the tank? It's clearcoated over and I have a fear of ruining the tank's clearcoat/paintjob.

Oh, and thanks for the tip on Dirtyworks (which it was).. I figured there was a reason it was cheaper. ;) Recommend any places?

arai
03-11-2002, 02:44 PM
I re-worked a scheme last night that lets me keep the decals on the tank and only remove some of them from the fairing and maybe tail section. It also only requires that the tail section be painted (if at all, still deciding) Thanks for all the tips guys. If I dont have enough for a track bike this year its likely that I'll spend a little on my r6... if I do have enough however :D:D time for some track days

-arai-

CG
03-11-2002, 02:51 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't waste my money on painting anything, just sticker the bike up to the race-replica style you want/like....

btw, looking for stickers??, goto www.redracingparts.com

Digi168
03-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Canadian_Gixxer
If I were you, I wouldn't waste my money on painting anything, just sticker the bike up to the race-replica style you want/like....

btw, looking for stickers??, goto www.redracingparts.com

Your right about the stickers, but you could use vinyl like they did in the fast and furious, it is cheap and easy to do and you can always take it off and change it if you don't like. and if you know someone like me who can get you the vinyl at wholesale and has a vinyl cutter, then you could do your whole bike for under $200.

Most of the bike graphics are vinyl anyway and then the clear over it, but you don't have to clear if you get the good vinyl and it is rated for 5-9 years outdoor durability.

xenz
03-11-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Digi168
if you know someone like me who can get you the vinyl at wholesale and has a vinyl cutter
You have a vinyl cutter ? computerized one ? what you see on the screen is what you can cut ? Hmm.....:evil ;)

Digi168
03-12-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by xenz

You have a vinyl cutter ? computerized one ? what you see on the screen is what you can cut ? Hmm.....:evil ;)

yep, I have most of those logo's on CD, which ones did you want?

Digi168
03-12-2002, 12:13 AM
There is a site on the web www.tapeworks.com they do custom vinyl see if there is anything there that you like.

xenz
03-12-2002, 02:27 AM
yep, I have most of those logo's on CD, which ones did you want?

Woo... ahh... drooling...

NGK, RK, MOTUL, OHLINS, K&N, SIDI and Dunlop (vertical) would be nice :D

On the other hand, Absolutedm should order those www.bcsportbikes.com sticker from you instead of tapeworks next time.

Digi168
03-13-2002, 02:47 PM

Woo... ahh... drooling...

NGK, RK, MOTUL, OHLINS, K&N, SIDI and Dunlop (vertical) would be nice :D

On the other hand, Absolutedm should order those www.bcsportbikes.com sticker from you instead of tapeworks next time. Here is a small sample of stock designs.

These are all 6 inches long. $4ea if you want bigger or custom let me know, if you want smaller let me know. Also, I have most logos, and lots of different colors available. If you buy 5 the sixth one is free.

They might be a little blurry since I had to compress the hell out of the image to make it fit here.

xenz
03-14-2002, 02:02 AM
These are all 6 inches long. $4ea if you want bigger or custom let me know, if you want smaller let me know. Also, I have most logos, and lots of different colors available. If you buy 5 the sixth one is free.
In fact I was interested in these logos... 6 of them total, and each one need two copies (for left and right both side), roughly 4"x2", since they were multi-color, is it ok to do it ? If so how much would it cost ? Oh, plus a set of vertical "DUNLOP" for the front tire. Thanks :D

Digi168
03-14-2002, 08:34 AM

In fact I was interested in these logos... 6 of them total, and each one need two copies (for left and right both side), roughly 4"x2", since they were multi-color, is it ok to do it ? If so how much would it cost ? Oh, plus a set of vertical "DUNLOP" for the front tire. Thanks :D

The multi colored ones are harder to do since you have to piece the colors together, but let me check with a friend and I will let you know. Most of the logo's I have are just black and white so you can cut them in any color. The first few I think I could do quite easily since they are just on white background. Let me figure it out.

xenz
03-14-2002, 10:30 AM
The multi colored ones are harder to do since you have to piece the colors together, but let me check with a friend and I will let you know. Understand, no worries man, everything white or black is okay, whatever is easier (and cheaper :D ), I will try to do some photoshop and see which is what color will look fine on my bike and will let you know again, how's that ?