: Salvage bikes for track duty?

bender
03-13-2002, 10:16 AM
PH-Q2, do you get a lot of icbc salvage bikes? I want to make a track bike next winter and don't want to use a perfectly good street bike. I've noticed you usually have litre bikes, but do you ever get your hands on 600's? I'm looking for either an SRAD or an sv650 type of thing. even if the engine, frame, and everything else is sold seperately. are you able to help me out with this when the time comes?

PH-Q2
03-13-2002, 11:51 AM
YUP I CAN ! I get a lot of 600 but the damn things sell so fast.You can go to ICBC and look at the bid sheets yourself,but you can't bid on them if you got's no licence.That's where I come in. I can't discuss this on an open board,so when you got money,and an idea of what you want,give me a call PH# is on my site.

bender
03-13-2002, 12:20 PM
alright, thanks man. gotta pay for my wedding first, bikes come after. :(

Digi168
03-13-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bender
alright, thanks man. gotta pay for my wedding first, bikes come after. :(

That's you think, after the wedding comes no bike

adamantium
03-13-2002, 02:51 PM
That's why I got mine a couple months before. ;)

Hu99
03-13-2002, 03:09 PM
If you get the right wife, she'll not only "let" you get a bike, but look out for deals on gear and stuff. My wife hates bikes and never goes on it, but she loves it when I get new stuff for it.

bender
03-13-2002, 03:38 PM
my fiance's pretty cool about the bike. She love's going for rides but, understandably, she's worried I'll get hurt. now I'm telling her I want to try racing and she see's these adds on speed channel of highsides and is super worried. After talking to her about it, she understands now that I'm better off on the track than anywhere on the street. she even wants to be my brolly girl! :D

adamantium
03-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Have her read the artcile that tchat748 posted... I think it's a fantastic article that educates and evaluates riding fairly.

PH-Q2
03-13-2002, 05:01 PM
the best solution to that is .............marry a girl that already has a bike,and make sure her's is better than yours? ha

Hu99
03-13-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by PH-Q2
the best solution to that is .............marry a girl that already has a bike,and make sure her's is better than yours? ha

...and she'll let you ride it.:D

Digi168
03-13-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by PH-Q2

I might be doing that, and she rides an R1, problem is she handles hers better than I do mine.

Time to go ride some more.

TeeTee
03-14-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by bender
my fiance's pretty cool about the bike. She love's going for rides but, understandably, she's worried I'll get hurt. now I'm telling her I want to try racing and she see's these adds on speed channel of highsides and is super worried. After talking to her about it, she understands now that I'm better off on the track than anywhere on the street. she even wants to be my brolly girl! :D

I saw the perfect solution for this at Mavericks last weekend. First play her some AMA superbike or WSB or whatever with guys leaned over to the max and hanging out the back ends and such. Then show her the vid of the local action at Mission. When she sees the difference in lean angles and skills she won't be worried any more.

To be fair to our locals :) I suspect the shots we saw from the local action were low timers or students because they looked pretty stiff for the most part. But there was a WORLD of difference to be seen just looking at the two vids back to back.

Remember that the local guys aren't doing this for world points or BIG sponsorship $'s. We all have to get up and go to work on Monday so there's a lot more "reality check" in evidence.

It's like the club level sedan racing I did. We only had one fatality in something like 20 years. And he was an older guy that had a massive heart attack WHILE RACING. He still managed to pull the car off the track and stop before he died. Aside from lots of sprains, a few broken bones and such I understand that the local motorcycle racing scene has much the same, ahem, track record :D