View Full Version : cost of crashing

arai
03-15-2002, 10:00 PM
for those of you that have dumped, how much did it cost you? Granted plastic is the first to break and is damn pricey (what a rip off), but what are the other likely things to go in a crash? ( i know i know it depends on the crash) I just want to get an educated guess as to what it would cost.

oh yeah I guess I should add that I'm looking at a track crash, not a street crash. I want to get my r6 in for some track days, but have to be prepared for it to go down. I know a track bike is the other answer, but I'm still a little unsure If I'll be able to get one this year.

-arai-

CG
03-15-2002, 10:34 PM
cost me nuttin :D all the snow acted as a cushion to the fall and no damage to the bike :D

PH-Q2
03-15-2002, 11:41 PM
Best way is to invest in some track stuff,fairing bracket,bars,glass,and if you do drop it,it won't cost you near as much to fix. all that stuff shuld run you about a grand,and if you were to drop it on the track ,it would cost you all of that and then some.

Digi168
03-16-2002, 12:21 AM
last crash in the early ninties 91 to be exact. 600cc Katana dumped and slid about 100 feet or so, only cost me my deductible :D but real cost was about $1500 which at that time was a lot, fairings, headlight, shift leaver, mirror, handle bar grip, etc...

Peach
03-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Canadian_Gixxer
cost me nuttin :D all the snow acted as a cushion to the fall and no damage to the bike :D

snow?????

TeeTee
03-16-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Peach

snow?????

Don't ask. He's our resident all weather nut case :D

:flip

Almost forgot. Crashing, right? Well with track plastic it's really not too bad. The fiberglass often cracks but apparently the glass fibers often hold it together until you can repair it. But footpegs and handlbars aren't cheap for stock ones. And these parts take a beating. Exhaust cans too. That's another biggie. How much it costs will depend on wether or not you find some cheapies or race only parts to put on and keep those nice street parts on a shelf. After that the next most vulnerable part is probably the gas tank and forks.

But if it's just for a track day without changing everything over you had better plan on about $1500 to $2000 for a simple left hand lowside. That's for engine side cover, new plastic on one side. I'm assuming here that you have frame sliders and are willing to live with a couple of grind marks on a few parts. Right hand side with the exhaust will be higher.

Over40
03-16-2002, 01:22 AM
I low sided my R1. It cost me about $800 to fix. $300 for a used muffler, $400 to repaint the fairing, $100 for brake lever and bar end. The bike doesn't look new as there are no longer the original decals. Count on spending at least a $1000 for a low side crash. If you high side and the bike really takes a tumble, it could cost you the price of the bike.

Bluestone
03-16-2002, 01:33 AM
Wow, sounds really expensive to crash! I'd better get a used can for my Honey than! I think i'll have race-only fairings but i didn't think about the can!
I had some random loser knock my bike over from it's center stand and it would have cost me $1000 fo fix/repaint the farings, signal covers, decals. that was for a 0km fall!!

TeeTee
03-16-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Bluestone
....I had some random loser knock my bike over from it's center stand and it would have cost me $1000 fo fix/repaint the farings, signal covers, decals. that was for a 0km fall!!

The final bill to ICBC after my 20 kph oopsie last fall was just over $3000. But that was raised because of Ron at BK replacing EVERYTHING that was even touched and the need to redo the custom paint. And Adam can tell you how much that was.

It probably would have been $2500 with standard fairings. If I'd done it myself probably about $1500 because I would have lived with the scratched lever ball end and fairing lower (very slight marks on both).

PH-Q2
03-16-2002, 01:39 PM
I dropped my gsxr 1000 in California last year,turning into the hotel parking lot!
You see there was an accident there ,and they didn't clean a thing up off the road(lazy bastards) and between checking my mirrors for my buddies behind me,and looking at buddy pulling out of the parking lot, I mised one small thing? a fuckin CV joint the size of a softball ,I ran over it at walking speed and in a wink of an eye, I was on my head ,shoulder,and ass.
I'v never done that much damage to a set of leathers in my life?
Riped the shoulder,put a crack in my helmit,and ripped my gloves.

The bike you ask............how was it......ICBC totaled the bike off!
I couldn't believe it,all from scratches and a small dent in the tank.

They sold it back to me for 5k,pretty happy with that.

TeeTee
03-16-2002, 04:47 PM
Yeoooow...........

That sure beats my story all hollow. Damn it PH-Q2, you just HAVE to be better than the rest of us, don't you. :flip :laughing

I guess we only have ourselves (as in the riding public) to blame. The all encompassing desire to have the absolute lightest bike on the road has given us a bunch of eggshell designs. They are fantastic examples of minimalist stuctural engineering until they reach their breaking point. Then stand back quick because all that is left is small fragments........

Right...... well we used to live at the bottom of a LAKE. I'd work 27 hours a day at the mill and then come home and our dad would............. (Monty Python fans can fill in the rest)

PH-Q2
03-16-2002, 07:00 PM
oooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww you were luckie
you ad a cloth!

love that stuff

diffrent skit though ..................... 4 welsh men I think?

Kit
03-17-2002, 03:48 PM
This is one of the costs of crashing:

http://members.home.net/really-drunk/DSCF0105.JPG

ps thats tchan748 holding the IV,

TeeTee
03-17-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Kit
This is one of the costs of crashing:

http://members.home.net/really-drunk/DSCF0105.JPG

ps thats tchan748 holding the IV,

The pic isn't coming through but that's OK. I don't think I need to see that.................. (weak stomach starting to gurgle) :flip

Kit
03-17-2002, 09:00 PM
ya thats wierd the server it is on must be really unstable or something

its not that bad it just a guy who had a crash last year when we were at PIR at take was one of the first guys on the scene so he got the job of holding the IV

the guy broke his collar bone, but otherwise wasnt that bad