: EURIKA! "Solution" to visor fogging

Wayne
11-30-2002, 06:52 PM
I know this has been beaten to death in previous posts, but today I tred a solution for visor fogging and it worked. I thought I'd share it.

First I tried Windex Anti Fog = useless.
Then I had heard of using furniture polish = it didn't work for me.
I even tried another suggestion of WD40 = again no luck.

Today I went to Lordco and was going to buy some other stuff. I asked the clerk if it was any good and he asked me what it was going to be used on. I told him of my helmet visor.

Well, rather than take my $9 for this stuff he said "Why don't you try dish liquid?".

Hmmm, OK, I never tried it, so rather than part with $9 so fast, I'll give it a whirl.

I came home and put 1 drop on a piece of tissue and rubbed it onto the inside of my visor. I kept rubbing it in until the greasy sTreaks werE gone. I went for a ride and to my surprise - IT WORKED!!

How much does one single drop of Sunlight dish liquid cost??

Suggestion - you shouldn't need more than 1 drop or you'll need to keep polishing until the greasy appearance is gone (more work than necessary). Resisit the urge to turn the tissue over and over until you rub all the solution off. With only 1 drop, you may not even need to turn the tissue over at all. And yet I had no streaky or smeary vision either. I rode all day with my visor shut. It was 95% better than no treatment at all.

Let us know if this works for you.:thumbup

mess
11-30-2002, 08:05 PM
:mad Well thanks for nuthin!
here i am about to patent it and market it and you spill the beans.
This could have made us rich,i would even have cut you in for say 15%:laughing :laughing

BCRider99
11-30-2002, 10:16 PM
Yes it works although most people don't like the low tech solutions. If someone slapped a motocycle label on a bottle of Palmolive dish liquid and charged 10x the price then everyone would be using it. :)

By the way, shampoo usually works about as well without the problem of needing to polish the greasy film away. That's what I use...for both my bike and hockey visor.

newbusa
11-30-2002, 10:19 PM
Hey thanks Eddie,I will try that,I suffer from foggy visor all the time:laughing :thumbup

Yamaholic
11-30-2002, 11:27 PM
That and when you get spitting mad at cagers, the bubbles make you look like your foaming at the mouth

lomayagi
12-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Cool thanx for the idea eddie.
:thumbup
I wonder what about dish soap makes it an anti-fogging agent?

And doesn't spit work too? When I ski I rub it into the inside of my goggles and it works alright.

SpideRider
12-05-2002, 12:24 PM
I heard the spit thing works. I used to do it with my dive masks and it seemed to work for at least a little while.

F4!
12-05-2002, 01:59 PM
great tip!

Fell
12-07-2002, 03:11 AM
I tried that on my last ride and it did seems to work well. Was only out for 30 minutes or so, but I purposely didn't lift my visor at stop lights and everything. No fogging up.

And I didn't even notice the lemon scent after a while. :thumbup

Jayson
12-07-2002, 07:02 AM
spit will work
but
thats grose :P
it dries n gets hot and stinks
or if you have recently ate anything

stick to the dish soap :P

flyfishinwoman
12-10-2002, 02:51 PM
The dish soap thing worked for my hockey visor, and even used it on my glasses too!

grant
12-21-2002, 08:38 PM
I did this to my visor... it helped a lot, but i can still cause blurring (not quite fogging) relatively easily so i'll have to get a foggy mask...

Triplepete
12-21-2002, 09:09 PM
i just crack the visor on notch and the fog is gone right now. at a stop i just open it up. my HJC AC10 has a breather guard anyway.

Trip
12-21-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by lomayagi
I wonder what about dish soap makes it an anti-fogging agent?

I'll take a wack at it! Here's my guess:

Dish washing liquid, shampoo, and even your own spit are surfactants (short for "surface active agents"). Surfactants are chemicals that reduce the surface tension of water. They can be used to deter the formation of water droplets.

In this case the fog that we see on our visors is usually a layer of tiny water droplets formed from the moisture in our breath. By coating the surface of the visor with a surfactant you are preventing the water from forming droplets. The moisture instead forms an even film of liquid that does not distort your vision as much if any. This film of water is very thin and is quickly evaporated away. Cracking open your visor a bit while riding helps because it increases the circulation of air to evaporate any moisture built up.

Dishwashing liquid is engineered to be a highly effective surfactant. And like all surfactants they can prevent surface fog build-up, make bubbles last longer in bubble baths, and help breakdown and wash away dirt and grease on your clothes or on your dishes. And since it is safe to use to wash your dishes, it's safe to use on your clear plastic visors.

... that would be my guess!

;)

Wayne
12-22-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by grant
I did this to my visor... it helped a lot, but i can still cause blurring (not quite fogging) relatively easily so i'll have to get a foggy mask...

By "blurring", I take it that you are referring to the film of soap not fogging up? If it too bad, take a tissue and give it a light polish again. I think it's a balance of just enough soap to keep it from fogging but no so much that it's all smeary/blurred.

Admittedly, you won't have 100% clear optics with a (single) drop of soap rubbed into your visor. But' I'd say my optics are about 95% clear - certainly no enough to bother me or create a dangerous driving condition.

I went out yesterday for 5 hours. I never had fogging on my visor, but as I was getting ready to go, I put on my sunglasses and closed my visor only to have my glasses fog up. So I treated my sunglasses to the soap (1 drop spread over the insides and outsides of both lenses). and polished with clean tissue until it wasn't visibly smeary. It worked. 5 hours and not a bit of fogging.

:rider

Good old Pete
12-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Thats for the tips! It works for me too.

REVELATIONS
12-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Isnt PLEDGE supposed to be just as good too?

Wayne
12-23-2002, 08:38 AM
Pledge didn't work for me. Maybe I over-buffed it and took it off? I dunno. The single drop of dish soap is the so far the best solution I've tried.

grant
12-23-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Eddie
By "blurring", I take it that you are referring to the film of soap not fogging up? If it too bad, take a tissue and give it a light polish again. I think it's a balance of just enough soap to keep it from fogging but no so much that it's all smeary/blurred.

It's difficult to describe, it was like the world was slowly melting into a picasso painting while i was waiting at the light. Probably because of that "even layer" of moisture that trip talked about.

This is definately a big improvement, as the same amount of panting + waiting would otherwise have fogged me up to 0% visibility.

But my goal is 0 visor crackage :)

jmark008
03-12-2003, 03:12 PM
just tried the palmolive stuff and wow it actually works. thanks for the tip!!! visor fogging up is such a nuisance and now it's fog-free riding from now on :D :D :D

Dekman
03-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Doesnt Soy Sauce work too. You try it first.

Sailor
03-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Great tip Eddie, I'll have to try that. I was hit with a nasty fogging up on the island a couple of weeks ago. Even keeping the visor open a couple of clicks didn't clear it.

Cheers :rider

p0lar
03-15-2003, 01:46 AM
shaving cream also works

Human
03-15-2003, 02:36 AM
anyone try KY Jelly ?:laughing

grant
03-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Just a quick update....

First off I got sick of the dish-soap on my visor, it only took a few seconds at a stop for it to get all runny & make it look like i was staring through an aquarium. When I cleaned it off, i realized it was reducing my optics all the time.. good riddance!

I installed the foggy mask from mspeed. big improvement! At first it would still fog up my visor if i really huffed @ a stop. Then I put on some sunglasses and realized air was sneaking up through a crack along my nose.

After spending a few more minutes adjusting the guard so it rode up higher on my face, it's perfect.

Twister
03-20-2003, 01:52 PM
Anyone with an Arai helmet can order a racing deflector, this kind of works like a breath rite, if you know what that is. It custom models around your nose area and completely blocks air from coming up from when exhale and fogging your visor.

RedDragoN
04-15-2003, 10:33 PM
Shampoo never worked for me (dragons breathe different you see) so I was going to pick up one of them breathguard deals from Mspeed, where is that place anyhow? But I'll try this first.

CoolDaddyGroove
04-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Eddie - great suggestion. Worked like a charm and even masked my bad breath at the same time

Desperado
04-23-2003, 09:06 PM
The dish soap idea works. I stopped though and bought the fog city visor. That thing is the shit.......... It always works and you don't have to do anything

IcemanRR
04-24-2003, 07:54 AM
I wasnt gonna post anything here but...

Ive been using dishsoap for years... why did i try it??? cause I use it on my glasses.

Sorry I didnt share it with anyone.