Hwy 6 between Nakusp and Vernon - anyone familiar with it?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hwy 6 between Nakusp and Vernon - anyone familiar with it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TGIF...Toes Go In First Array firefox's Avatar
    Bike
    Then - '06 F4i, now - Yamaha FZ6R

Hwy 6 between Nakusp and Vernon - anyone familiar with it?

Am considering taking Hwy 6 from Nakusp to Vernon in July. I realize that I will have to take the Needles ferry across the Lower Arrow Lake...but wondering if anyone has been on this route before and if so, how were the road conditions?

Any info would be appreciated.
    You never really learn to swear until you learn to ride!!

Bike
    Big fat 1400cc pig XR650Rtard
    it was seal coated 2 years ago, so it should be in good shape.
    It is one of the nicest roads in BC on a bike, very little traffic and quite twisty.Enjoy!

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Beautiful road...lots of bends, nice scenery.
    Watch out for deer on the road...dozens of them at a time. Logging trucks use the road as well and I was almost wacked by one coming around a bend on my side of the road a few years ago.

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    From Vernon, it starts off as a short shot of smooth 4 lane, then dissolves into a twisty bit by farmland, and rattling over the train tracks in a nasty off camber left. Smooth into Lumby, although heavily patrolled, when the Lumby Detachment is not dismantling a nearby grow op.
    East of Lumby you get some smooth asphalt, followed by rougher stuff past Cherryville.
    Stop at the Gold Panner and have a piece of rhubarb and strawberry pie if you can. It's on the left of a downhill right corner, into the first of a few interesting switchbacks in and out of draws.
    Clear sailing after that, which decent road conditions, and yes, lots of critters, and the occasional farm vehicle. I'm not sure how active the logging is at the moment, but please watch out for the detritus thrown up by logging trucks as they/you pass.
    The ferry is a complete no brainer. Idle, I said idle, your way to the front of the line, and be polite to the locals. Recently (okay, a few years ago) a group of loud motorcycles rapped their way to the front of the line, caused a stir, and a calm, cool, logging truck driver removed their tire valve stems while the riders cooled off at the picnic area. Really ruined their day, but the motorists who had been harrassed had a nice smile and wave for the riders as they got on the ferry, leaving the motorcylists behind. The ferry sails limited hours, I think 11 or 12 midnight is the last sailing, and it sails "on demand." The ride if 15 or 20 minutes, if that. If you arrive there, and it's on the other side, it'll come and get you. It's free. Northward to Nakusp is a bit of a boring drone. After the rains, usually in the fall, the gas station/restaraunt on the east end of the ferry serves mushroom burgers. Big deal, you say. Fresh, wild mushrooms picked by the locals, I say. A pinnacle of mushroom burgers. Don't buy gas there though. The fellow has some strange ideas about fueling motorcycles. Buy gas in Lumby, it's usually a couple of cents less costly than Vernon, if you buy Shell fuel.
    Last edited by michael; 06-26-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Bike
    None right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    The ferry is a complete no brainer. Idle, I said idle, your way to the front of the line, and be polite to the locals. Recently (okay, a few years ago) a group of loud motorcycles rapped their way to the front of the line, caused a stir, and a calm, cool, logging truck driver removed their tire valve stems while the riders cooled off at the picnic area.
    I rode this route a couple of years ago and loved it. I idled to the front of the queue at the ferry too, expecting it to be just like any other ferry. I didn't notice until we were boarding that there was a sign that said "no priority loading for motorcycles" or some such. There weren't any signs before that to let us know. It would be nice if the ferries were operated in a consistent manner.
    ---
    My Picasa Album

Ride the winds of change Array scooter's Avatar
    Bike
    Adventure and Sport
    If you have time explore more of the Kootenay region. One of the best regions to ride in BC.

Here's the route I take:
    Hwy 3 to Keremeos
    Hwy 3a
    Left at Green Mnt Rd passing Apex Mnt towards Penticton
    Hwy 97
    Left Westside Rd, before the bridge to Kelowna, passing through Fintry
    Pops out in Vernon
    The route your talking about.
    If you have time do a loop around New Denver, Kaslo, Nelson
    Hwy 31a is one of the best with new pavement
    Also taking the Galena Ferry over to the Revelstoke and heading up Revelstoke Mnt is worth the ride.

Bike
    wee strom DL650aK9

Patti:

it's a great road, go for it

bob

Registered User Array
    Bike
    04 Kawi ZRX 1200R
    I was through there last year. Very treacherous road, stay on your toes. There are some rough spots, nothing dramatic but you will be picking your ass up off the seat if you ride with spirited intent. I've done it twice heading east from Lumby, it would be very easy to get suckered into danger in several locations. Definitely some awesome riding, don't crash because only the coyotes will find your body.

Unregistered User Array greenboy's Avatar
    Bike
    Knobbies
    I've ridden it once only, in summer 2005 from Vernon to Nakusp.

Incredible stretch of twisty road, about 100+ km (?) long and one of the nicest I have been on.

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin and another one
    First, you may want to pick up a copy of Destination Highways BC, which does a nice job documenting the best twisty roads in BC.

Second, I rode that stretch a couple of times last year. Good pavement and great sweepers except for a small stretch towards the ferry side where the pavement gets rougher for a short bit and the turns quite a bit tighter.

Generally not much traffic once you get past a Cherryville.

Enjoy the trip

Bike
    ummm
    I've ridden this route for 15 yrs now. The road quality is vared from wonderful smooth arching turns to frost heaved tar stripped tank shaking hell, where dual sport bikes do very well. Many deer from Cherryville east. Many cops from Cherryville west, watch around the golf course. Probably the most dangerous spot on the whole route is eastbound just east of the pass lodge making the way down the ridge. There is a serious decreasing radius right hander, marked at 20 kmhr, which, believe me, is a 20kmhr right hander, it will get you, as the road just east consists of very fun left eright combinations at 80-90kmhr.
    I've heard there has been issues with bikes at the ferry cable water crossing, that bikes no longer get priority boarding, because of that issue with a bunch of open piped HD fuckers. This would be a shame. The road east going down the ramp is very steep, a bugger to park the bike right so it doesn't tip over or roll off the center stand, and usually a 1 sailing wait if you have to line up.
    The Mushroom Addition Restaurant on the east side of the ferry does have great food. And he has always told us that his only pump marked 87 octane is actually 89. I don't know, I rarely get gas there, I'm usually good to go fuel wise from Lumby to Nakusp, where my destination is.
    Steve

Bike
    ZX10Rawr & lots of small bikes
    It is an incredible stretch of fast road. It is very dangerous as well, a spirited riding pace made me blow a corner last year. The really tight turns do come up really fast and the last turn before the ferry can be pretty damn scary if you are not prepared.

The highway is best enjoyed on the way back, being the first one off the ferry. You can almost be guaranteed of 100kms of free road with NO cars in front of you.

+1 to the restaurant. The food is VERY good.

Flieger sind Sieger! Array
    Bike
    04 Supersquid 750
    Just did Hwy. 6 the weekend before last, road is in good shape, although there are a few frost heaves and cracks developing, but nothing like the Duffy. If you're not familiar with this route, take it easy.

Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Last Year I did Vernon to Nakusp, New Denver and then Kaslo.

To save you a long read.

Awesome.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Hello BCSB!

TGIF...Toes Go In First Array firefox's Avatar
    Bike
    Then - '06 F4i, now - Yamaha FZ6R
    Wow, thanks fellas for all of the excellent info! I'm gonna be heading through there after SBS via Castlegar. Should make for an awesome trip! I'll definitely keep it easy through there for my first time through!
    You never really learn to swear until you learn to ride!!