BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Tire reviews.

115K views 125 replies 79 participants last post by  heisenberg9 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to try a little experiment and set this up as a resource for you guys to post YOUR thoughts about the tires you buy and any links to sites with reviews that are online for general access.

To help make it easier for folks to find the stuff I'd like you to follow the format I've shown below for personal reviews or links to sites.

Please to not post any scans of magazine articles. This is copyrighted material and we don't need that sort of potential trouble.

To use this format you can either "quote" this message and then delete everything except the format bit below or you can copy and paste by mousing over it and using the "Edit/copy" command in the toobar on your browser. Start a Reply and then "Paste" it into the Reply. Fill in but please leave the titles for the lines.

This should make it easier to find stuff I hope.

Here's the format...
--------------------------------------
Maker-
Model-
Size- Front- Rear- (if you only bougt one fill in one)
Installed on- (your bike description)
Ridden for________ Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-__
Comments-

---------------------------------------

Please fill in all the sections other than the front or rear if you only bougt one tire.

If you see a review that you don't agree with and you have the tires in question then please feel free to post your OWN review. These are opinions. I'm not looking for a lot of discussion here so keep questions on topic please or they will be removed.

Or you can just offer links to good sites.

I plan to keep all the local reviews on line for the long term. Links will be kept as long as they are functional.

Please report bad links in a post and I'll clean them up or out.

OK. Let's GO.... I'll start for an example If this works it'll be the first of a series for you guys.

Also post up your thoughts and opinions. After we've talked about the format, problems, and suggestions I'll just pull them to clean this up later.

Think of this thread as your own little articles area.

See less See more
#52 ·
Maker- Bridgestone
Model- BT56F
Size- Front- 120/60 ZR17 Rear- 160/60 ZR17
Installed on- 2001 Bandit 600S
Ridden for 27,500 kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible - 2

Comments- These tires lasted me for longer than I thought that they would (I probably should have chucked them a lot sooner). The tread was breaking up a bit, there were high & low spots, and the tread was getting a bit low but for the most part they were great tires – they came with the bike when I bought it. I was always a bit skeptical about their gripping power in corners so as a result of the comments on this thread, I have replaced my tires with BT010’s (both front & rear) and will report on my experiences with them. I suspect that they won’t give me as many kms but a lot more grip.

Thanks for the great reviews everyone!! :thumbup

#53 ·
lets try this again
maker-dunlop
model-d218
size-120/70/17 front, 190/50/17rear
installed on- zx-10r
ridden 5000kms so far
comments- this is what came on the bike,and so far they havebeen goodto me. i was pretty nice to them for the first few thousand k's, have been through alot of rain on my trips up north. they felt good on the wet and as long as i take a few minutes to warm them up they good. thethere is still loads of tread but i'll have to see how they hold up. seeing as this is my first good bike i don't no what to rate them, but i'll post in a few thousand k's to how there holding up.

#54 · (Edited)
maker-michilin
model-Pilot Power
size-190/50/17 and 120/70/17
installed on- GSXR 600 (03)
Riden- 500 km
comments-

I put these brand new tires on to try since no one in town has them. They feel alot like the 208's and they are great in the heavy rain. They warm up fairly quick and the wear seems to be like the 208 but they only have 500km. In my opinion if you like the Dunny 208's you like this babies. I now have 4000 + km on and I have found that they are very responsive with excellent grip. I will be putting another set on when these are toast. I like them better than the 208's more feel.

#55 ·
Maker-bridgestone
Model-bt-014
Size- Front- Rear- 170/60-17 120/70-16
Installed on- '93 gsxr 750
Ridden for 2000 Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 2.17
Comments-put these on and rode to port renfrew from van, they got stickier as they warmed up and my confidence rose and rose. the hwy to port renfrew is good till china beach then it turns to sketchy/sometimes scary, all the way to port renfrew. i pushed the tires pretty hard (to my ability) and there was nee a scary moment as far as traction was concerned. i have however had the rearend come loose under power through off camber corners @ubc. but i think that i was pushing a little(nothing to scary). other than that, the price is right and i like the way that they look..

#57 ·
Just replaced the massively overpriced and unpredictable Diablos with some Bt-014s. A perfect tire for the 9, very steady, it seems, over bumpy stuff. Slower on turn in but keeps its line through a turn and isn't fazed by changing surfaces.

I'm pissed off because I've been fighting the damn Diablos for a year. They were making me feel retarded because I just could not get the bike to do what I wanted. Twitchy and unsteady are not words typically used to describe a ZX-9s handling but, that's what the Diablos did for it.

Over all, thumbs down on the Diablos, thumbs up on the BT-014s.

Crotch

#58 ·
Maker-Dunlop
Model-S218
Size- Front- 120/???/17 Rear-190/sumting/17
Installed on-2004 R1 (Gone Now DIE thieves)
Ridden for Approx 8200 Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-1 (performance) 3.75 (Longivity,SP?)
Comments- Sticky, stable, solid, felt awesome and confidence inspiring. Hard to find replacements (early in the season), not cheap either. Treadwear wasn't that hot either, I cant see getting more than 9Ks for the rear. I'd recommend them to a friend, if grip and performance are key and not road tripping.

#59 ·
Maker: Michelin
Model: Pilot Race H2
Size: Standard sizing, 180 rear
Installed on: '97 GSX-R 600 with big gearing
Ridden for: 3000kms
Rating: 1
Comments: Absolutely amazing tire! Warming these up never seemed to be a proble, they were ready to go as soon as I hopped on the bike. I never had the tries slip on me EVER with the exception of one little powerslide on a sweeping downhill left. Incredible grip, incredible lean angles and incredible confidence out of these tires. I rode the snot out of them for 3000kms and still had @ least 70% tread left. Not a big tread pattern so heavy wet weather riding could be risking hydroplaning.

Model: Pilot Power
Size: Standard sizing, 190 rear
Installed on: 2004 Yamaha R1
Ridden for: 10 laps of Phillip Island GP circuit
Comments: Another unbelievable tire. Totally confidence inspiring, it handled the R1's peaky power curve with ease, minimal movement from the rear end. Quite a soft tire though, they were pooched after a full track day (mind you there were magazine editors and semi-pro's beating on them for 8 hours). On the street you'd probably get 5000km out of them.

#60 · (Edited)
Model: Pilot Power
Size: Front 120/70, Rear 190/50
Installed on: 2001 CBR929rr
Ridden for: about 500km so far
Rating: Front 1, Rear 2.5
Comments: The review in the Superbike Mag tire test is far better than anything I could write, but.... I have only used BT's in the past 010 and 014 and my bike before, had bias ply's, so my experience with radials is limited.
When I first had the tires mounted, they seemed quite "springy" untill warm. After a few hundred K's and a few heat cycles they have softened up like an old pair of slippers!! So much so, that I'm running them at the 36/42 psi recomended pressures. Again, very planted, esp thru fast turns, seem a little unstable straight up and down. Make you want to get on the throttle earlier and harder!! Brake hard, even in wet!! Take a while to warm up. Still don't think I'll get much kms out of the rear.

G
#61 ·
just bought an 02 gix750. I'm not an extremely experienced sport rider, but I've been riding for 10yrs. The question is: my mechanic had a set of bridgestone 020's in house whem I went for a certification. I like the tires so far, they seem to slip a bit in cool corners but otherwise seem o.k.
Am i missing the boat by having sport touring tires on my sport bike, or does it take a pro to tell the diff. I've erased the chicken strips yesterday in some twisties and they seem o.k. What do you'all think?

#62 ·
Metzler spotec M1

Maker- Metzler
Model- M1
Size- Front: 120 - Rear: 190
Installed on- 2000 ZX9R
Ridden for just under 10000 Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 2
Comments- A very nice tire. If mileage is imporant to you then perhaps this is not the tire for you. As I use the bike for commuting (hwy), my rear center took a pounding. On fun trips I found the tire very predictable and conering was lots of fun (even with the 190 rear). Grip in the wet is okay as well. I kept the pressure as per manufacturer recommendation (36/42). The front did not develop any cupping and its wear was no way near that of the rear. Overall a very nice tire. However, the M1 is a few years old, so I am sure newer brands/model are there for better price, etc. (e.g. BT014s). For me the new set I have decided on are the Avon Azaro ST AV 45/46.

G
#63 ·
Maker- Michelin
Model- Pilot Power
Size- Front: 120 - Rear: 190
Installed on- 2001 Triumph Speed Triple & factory tire on 2005 Speed Triple
Ridden for just under 4000 Kms on the '01, 10000 on the '05
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1 and 1
Comments- the '01 now has over 79000K total and feels like a new bike again!! the 01s Powers with almost 4000 k looks like new and the 05 has almost 10000 Ks and many more left - commuter bike gets 250K/day, plus very, um...sporting rides on the w/e. Awesome grip wet and dry.

#64 ·
Maker - Bridgestone
Model - 012SS
Size - 120/70/17 180/55/17
Installed on - 2002 F4I
Ridden for - 14000
Rating - 2
I love these Tires. Grips great Wet or Dry. Heats up Quick. Great feedback in the corners. Drops into the corners like a dream and stable when leaned.
However .. They didn't last very long : ( I should have replaced them after 11000k's .. I pushed it pretty far and I'm completly through the tread at 14k
I think they are a great tire. I'm gonna try the Metzler M1 SPortec next.
:thumbup

#65 · (Edited)
This is my 7th set of tires on this (my 13th) bike. (second set of pilot powers)... On this bike all my tires have been michelin cept for the original bridgestones it came with but I changed the bridgestones because of all my crashes on the old school BT 56. I'd like to try diablos though...

Maker- michelin pilot powers
size-120/190
installed on 2002 954
about 7k on rear (it's getting dead)
heats up fucken fast (like a few blocks) gonna maybe stick with em....but i wanna try the diablos...never tried them yet! If you ride hard they don't last long, but are the softest tires to day (last summer i guess)

PS (I've crashed on every other brand of tire I've tried in the last 16 years but the michelin....weird)

#66 ·
Maker- Michelin
Model- Pilot Powers
Size- Front- 120 Rear-180
Installed on- BMW R1150R Rockster
Ridden for 200 Kms so far
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1
Comments- I've had to scrub these in in the rain, and OMG!!!! they rock. Did S2S today, to Squamish and back, and you wouldn't know that it was a cold, wet day; grip was awsome.

G
#67 ·
Maker-Michelin
Model-Macadam 100x
Size- Front- Rear- 120/70zr17 150/70zr17
Installed on-2004 suzuki gsx600f (Katana)
Ridden for_14,000_ Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 4
Comments- these tires came stock with the bike, are not very good in wet weather but do last a desent amount of distance front is toast now but rear still has half life left. didn't have much trouble with them when it was hot out but that's about all i can say about them!

#68 ·
Another ++++ vote for the Michelin Pilot Powers.

Maker- Michelin
Model- Pilot Power
Size- Front- 120/70 Rear- 180/55
Installed on- 2000 CBR F4
Ridden for over 16,000 Kms
Comments- I replaced my Pilot Sports (came with the CBR) with the Pilot Powers. I immediately noticed a difference - these tires are predictable, have great gripping power & I've heard that they warm up quickly (I'm not technically minded enough to know this). :) I have a few more km's that I can ride these (but I'm not as an aggressive rider as most of you).

I would definitely recommend these tires to anyone & am now looking for a new set.

#69 ·
Gotta vote with the Pilot Powers.
Maker- Michelin
Model- Pilot Power
Size- Front- 120/70 Rear- 180/55
Installed on- 2004 gsxr600
Ridden for 2000km
Comments-
well, im not super-experienced at this, but the gsxr came with the OEM's and they were okay, one or two slips on the rear in about 6000km. at 9000km they were cooked. not to shabby. However, as soon as i slapped on the michelins, these were awesome. stable in the corners, much more confidence to lean, not to mention wAAaaay easier to get 'er over. I notice the same when stright up and down, feels like it wants to go to either side - but look at the profile, of course it does. anyways, i don't push it in the rain at all, but seem to stick anywhere and everywher so far.

#70 · (Edited)
Maker: Metzeler
Model: Sportec M3
Size: 120/70 front 190/50 rear
Installed on: 05 R1
Ridden for: 23,000 kms

Had 218's on the bike stock... They were fine for hockey pucks, never let go just didn't give all that much feedback, and took a little to warm up... Good wet weather grip... Got 9500K out of the back.

Had Pilot Powers and Dunlop 207RR's last year on the Buell XB (I know, I know)... Piolt's heated up fast, stick like glue, but got squirmy at the edge... Great in the rain too compared to the Dunlops... Couldn't tell you how long they last, as the bike got written off... 207RR's took forever to heat up on the street but once they did, they stuck like the Power's ....

The M3's are great so far... Look like new still after 2,500 km, heat up within blocks, stable at high speeds, really good feedback (when you get close to the chicken strip, you know you're almost there since it gets harder to lean over because of the profile), don't slip even at full throttle coming out of apex (even with 2 teeth down in the front), didn't even square off after riding to hope/coquihalla to kelowna twice in a row.... Can't say about wet weather as I haven't tried yet (only had them for the past month)...

We'll see how long they last...

Update: So far I've gotten 5400km out of them, and the back still looks fairly fresh....Stuck great even up in Pemberton over the weekend, and are very predictable even when the rear started to slide out a little on wet pavement (didn't drop the bike, was able to straighten it out).... Love 'em!!!

Another Update: So I ended up getting about 9500 km's out of the first set... I've got 7500 km on the second set of these... Can't say anything negative about them... They're great in the rain, heat up fast (until they're almost due to be replaced), give you great feedback when you're banked over, and rock solid at high speeds... I'll post up what I get out of this set when they're due...

Yet Another update: Ended up getting 11,500 km's out of the last set (the last 3500km were mostly highway commuting and short local rides helped with the mileage).... On my third set... No complaints with anything... Grip, feel, mileage...that's why I refuse to switch...

#71 ·
Dunlop
D208 ZR
120/70/17 - 180/55/17
'03 CBR600RR
12,000 km's
rating - 1 excellent

just about worn down, will need to replace before next summer
no track use, semi-aggressive dry street riding only

would definately reccomend these tires

will probably replace with the new Dunlop Qualifiers

#72 · (Edited)
Pirelli Diablos

120/70-17 Front
180/55-17 Rear.
Miles ridden 8000
Rating -1 (almost perfect except for wear)

I changed the front profile from 60 to 70, because I heard the 70's had better turn in and traction due to the taller and flatter sides of the tire. It's true. there is more confidence in the front end for me, and as a whole the bike is better planted in the corners than the BT-010's I had previously. And I loved that tire. The only fly in the ointment is the wear factor. The 2 sets of 'Stones I had gave me 1/3 better tire life than these, but I bought them on eBay for $175USD + shipping for the set, so I shouldn't complain. I'll just buy another set for next season, considering that's what I paid for just a rear here.

One last thing. Because Pirelli says the front tire displaces most of the water, the is no center tread on the rear. This is also better for accereration. Just get used to folks saying you rear tire is bald.

#73 ·
Pirelli Diablos
120/70 corsa compound
180/55 reg. compound
On a '01 Duc 996
8-10 000 miles depending on budget and time of year
Rating of 1
Well, when I first threw a set of these on to my RC-51 back in '03 I was simply blown away by how fantastic these tires were in every respect. So good that other than putting a corsa compound on the front for that last little bit of ultimate lean confidence, I haven't tried anything else since. I find they have a very distinct sure footedness on turn in that might be described by some as a heaviness. They suit my riding style and choice of weapons but might feel out of place on a 600 or 750. Dry grip for a 120hp twin is exemplary, wet grip is good enough, finding out how good I find to be a distinctly risky endeavour. I tend to baby my tires anytime I'm not in the twisties, so if you're on the gas around town they may not last as long as I quoted, but considering the grip, the mileage is sweet icing on a very tasty cake. Highly recommended.

#74 ·
Metzler

Maker-Metzler
Model-880 / 880F
Size- Front- 120/70-r18 Rear- 150/80-B16
Installed on- 1994 kawasaki Concours 1000
Ridden for approx 5000_ Kms
Rating- 1

I have not really ridden this bike with the original tires for to long as I replaced them with these tires shortly after getting the bike. I have spoken to a buddy that has put about 150,000 kms on a connie and he speaks very highly of these tires. They seem to stick very well in wet or dry conditions and apparently last very well. The bike seems to handle very well with them and unless there was any particular reason I would probably replace them with the same. Seem to be very nice tires. That being said I don't drive the bike very aggresively. Buy em you'll like em...

#75 · (Edited)
Maker- Pirelli
Model- Diablo Corsa III
Front- 120/70/17
Rear- 190/55/17
Installed on- 2005 CBR1000RR
Ridden for 1,000 Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible - 1!
Comments- I went to Mspeed to get some Pilot Powers cuz they look sexy and I've been hearing rave reviews, but Marbod showed me the new taller 55 series Diablo Corsa III rear. When comparing the Corsa III rear profile agains't the PP you can slightly make out two sharper curves outside the centerline on the Corsa III. Once i got them on the road you immediately feel the tendency for the bike to turn-in really easy - so much so that it was unexpected at first but I quickly got used to it and I'm lovin' it. The other main benefit of this Corsa III rear is that it is a dual compound tire, and now that I've put a few K's on it I can see exactly where the two compounds meet. Of course dual compound is ideal for road riding, along with the added corner grip and larger corner contact patch... its a perfect tire that seems to heat up quickly. The bike just feels awesome when entering and exiting corners now. Also worth mentioning is my suspension is stock with some slightly stiffer rear dampening, and tires inflated to 36psi front, 38psi rear. Haven't tried them in the wet yet, but by comparing the tread pattern to the Pilot Powers, the Corsa III should channel the water more effectively.

#76 · (Edited)
Dunflops 208s - Qualifier

aIGHT SO FIRST OFF!! Thank you so very much for this thread!!!! wicked, quick and painless to find automatic validation !!!!

Thought i'd get that out of the way and give a review as well!!!

Maker-Dunlop
Model-208
Size- front 120/70-zr17 rear 180/55-ZR17-
Installed on- 05 r6
Ridden for 24000Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-__4

Comments-well my baby came w/ the 208's and i love them, first sportbike though, so beware, i do agree with most that they are very flickable!!! love it!! i stayed w/ the front all season. yes all 24000kms.. so great life!!! the rear i switched to the qualifier for my trip to vegas!! great tire but ofcourse i didnt get very good idea of how they perform on twisties... oops... i've only put about 2000kms on the rear in twisty conditions and LOVE THEM!!! sticky and predictable.. though i wish they would heat up a little quicker... the only reason i only gave them a 4 over all is i find them to be a little TOO flickable!!! I'm quiet forcefull on my r6 and find i easily toss her about, a little too much sometimes...

next i'm going to the Metzelers M3 sportech thanks in part to this thread!! i've been told they are rock steady and very poised on their lines, better for progressive riding style.. whatever that means... i guess we'll see!! i'll edit w/ that review in a couple months!!!!

**EDIT**

thought i'd update this! i have had the m3s all season now, and tested them in the rain down the duffey yesterday... THEY ROCK!! hiT a couple snakes and shimmied but thats expected, very predictable though, they dried up and heated up reallly quick for the rip home from Pembby to BBy nicely!! clear sun by then.. once you get used to the multi radius and diff turning characteristics, they are rock solid on dry! really rip it up in the twisties and anable you to change direction in a big hurry w/ no head shake, the tendancy for the bike to stand up mid corner due to hard breaking w/ the front is completely GONE!! very big plus!! shifting gears and openning them throttles mid corner is a blast now!! the trajectory in quick line change takes some gettting used to but once you do i do believe they handle much better than the dunflops, made the R6 much more stable while maintaining its 'flickability' ... i think its a misconseption that ppl have about the m3s, it doesnt take that much more to flick the bike, shes just much more balanced but once you know where that balance is, man does she love the twisties!! will prolly stick to these for next set, i love them so far, and yes they last a long time, dunno how long yet as i still havent 'worn' them out, not that i havent been riding, as you can see from my island trip report...

my original thoughts on the dunflops have confirmed those of others.. they suck!! i cant believe how much of a better rider these things make me, fun and challengin ride still!! yes the multi radius thingy R.O.C.K.S.!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.