BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Tire reviews.

115K views 125 replies 79 participants last post by  heisenberg9 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to try a little experiment and set this up as a resource for you guys to post YOUR thoughts about the tires you buy and any links to sites with reviews that are online for general access.

To help make it easier for folks to find the stuff I'd like you to follow the format I've shown below for personal reviews or links to sites.

Please to not post any scans of magazine articles. This is copyrighted material and we don't need that sort of potential trouble.

To use this format you can either "quote" this message and then delete everything except the format bit below or you can copy and paste by mousing over it and using the "Edit/copy" command in the toobar on your browser. Start a Reply and then "Paste" it into the Reply. Fill in but please leave the titles for the lines.

This should make it easier to find stuff I hope.

Here's the format...
--------------------------------------
Maker-
Model-
Size- Front- Rear- (if you only bougt one fill in one)
Installed on- (your bike description)
Ridden for________ Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-__
Comments-

---------------------------------------

Please fill in all the sections other than the front or rear if you only bougt one tire.

If you see a review that you don't agree with and you have the tires in question then please feel free to post your OWN review. These are opinions. I'm not looking for a lot of discussion here so keep questions on topic please or they will be removed.

Or you can just offer links to good sites.

I plan to keep all the local reviews on line for the long term. Links will be kept as long as they are functional.

Please report bad links in a post and I'll clean them up or out.

OK. Let's GO.... I'll start for an example If this works it'll be the first of a series for you guys.

Also post up your thoughts and opinions. After we've talked about the format, problems, and suggestions I'll just pull them to clean this up later.

Think of this thread as your own little articles area.

See less See more
#2 ·
Maker-Dunlop
Model-D220
Size- Front- 120/70-17 Rear- 180/55-17
Installed on- 2000 Kawasaki ZX-9R
Ridden for_5000_ Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 5

Comments-This is the successor to the much loved sport touring D205. My wife and I both got a pair and we both have had very poor life from them so far. The grip is not as good as I was led to believe the 205's offered. In the rain I could feel them slipping a little all the time, more of an unsettling squirm. In the dry they still let the bike slip and grab on occasion even at fairly moderate lean angles on roads that I didn't think would be a problem. Wear is another problem area. On only one trip to Edmonton and a bit of local riding the centers of both the front and rear were worn flat as much as I would expect from twice this much mileage. Both bikes will need new tires next season.

Dunlop messed up big this time. DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES.

#3 ·
Maker-Dunlop
Model-D208
Size Front - 120/70-17 Rear - 190/55-17
Installed on 2002 R1 (stock)
Ridden for 3000kms
Rating - 2

Comments - I don't know tires super well, but I know what I like. Having only ridden on the street as of yet, I can tell you my tires warm up faster and stay warmer than anyone else I've met (besides other 208 riders), and they seem to stick in some of the colder months where my old 207's on my R6 would not.

I think they're overall great tires, although I do understand they're one of the priceier ones.

#4 ·
Maker - Bridgestone
Model - BT 010 and the BT 011
Size - Front - 120/70-17 Rear - 190/50-17
Installed on - 2002 GSX-R 1000
Ridden for - 6000 Kms
Rating - 4

Comments- Not quite sure how much money Suzuki was paid to run these tires. I've only had 207s and these came stock on the bike. They don't seem to ever warm up. The front tire is a little vague and I can see by the front tread pattern and profile that I wouldn't like the tire. I like a center bead for a more true track on the road. The rear is super wide and hae a great profile. But I spin the rear tire every ride in the winter. Sure the bike could spin many tires, I'll have to try another set through a winter first. It just seems that these tires would be OEM for a middle of the road sportbike, not a litre class superbike. I have lost grip with these tires and it does not feel nice.

On the plus side. If you are a stunter these would be great tires. The rear tire can burnout for a long time with no visible wear. They are rock hard and will be very plentiful as people such as myself tire quickly of them as OEM tires and upgrade.

Bridgestone = Slipstone. More emphasis on the stone part. :rolleyes

I'm buying 208s next.

#5 ·
Maker - Dunlop
Model - D207
Size - Front - 120/70 ZR17 (36 psi), Rear - 180/55 ZR17(38psi)
Installed on 2000 GSX-R750
Ridden for 40000kms
Rating 2

Comments - I found these tires were great in all weather. They seemed to warm up quite quickly and hold temp quite well. The tires were soft and held great lines. I have had the front slide on a few occasions but each time the feel of the tire was very predictable. I felt that I knew where my tires was at all times. I also found that if you didn't keep a sharp eye on the front tire pressure, the tire would cup quickly. The overall tire life is short/medium depending on how hard you ride them. Still, even with the shorter tire life I kept on buying them.

Maker - Dunlop
Model - D208
Size - Front - 120/70 ZR17 Rear (36 psi), Rear - 190/50 ZR17 (38 psi)
Installed on 2002 GSX-R 1000
Ridden for 300 Kms
Rating 2

After trying the D208's though, I am pretty much sold on these tires. Although I've only ridden a few hundred km's on them, they seem to warm up faster and stay warmer then the D207's. I'll update this once I run them for a bit longer.

#6 · (Edited)
Make Bridgestone
Model BT-010
Size 180/55/zr17
Ridden 9,000km
installed on '97 gsx-r750
Rating 2

I found the BT-010 to be a great tire, they warm up a lot quicker than a D207,which is what we need up in the interior with the cooler weather we usually have. I got 9,000 km from it and only 7,000 km from the D207.

#7 · (Edited)
Make: Dunlop
Model: D207
Size: 120/70R17 180/55R17 (I think)
Installed on: Honda F4
Ridden: 25,000 km
Rating: 3
Comments: These were a decent tire in their day, but are no longer competitive. Excellent mileage if you keep them at the recommended pressure.

Make: Brickstone
Model: BT56
Size: 180/55R17
Ridden: 8,000 km
Rating: 4
Comments: A very reliable tire... I could always count on it sliding.

Make: Metzeler
Model: M1
Size: 120/70R15 180/55R17
Ridden: 4,000 km
Rating: 1
Comments: Excellent tires! They make turns very smooth and easy.

#8 ·
Naughty lad there Paul. You didn't follow the format.

I take it this idea is a GO then.

Feel free to answere here with what you think about the idea. After a few days I'll clean the thread up. But in the meantime I'd like to get your thoughts all.

#9 ·
--------------------------------------
Maker- Dunlop
Model- D207
Size- Front- 120/17 Rear- 180/17
Installed on- ZX-6R (stock) and CBR F2
Ridden for 12,000kms on ZX-6R, 5,000kms on F2
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- My rating: 3

Comments- I thought these were great tyres when I first tried them on the F2. They were a welcome change from the old Metzeler Laser and Bridgstone BT56 that I had before. The mileage on them was *okay* but could've been better. The front tended to go after about 12,000 while the rear lasted about 50% longer...that has to do with the bike and riding style as well, I guess. But I thought they warmed up well enough, turn-in was good, but mid-corner feel was not up to par with the BT010s. I would say that the BT010s were much better...lasted longer, warmed up quickly, felt more stable, but the turn-in was a little bit slower. All-in-all, I can't complain...they were a good stock tyre, but I will not be getting them again until I try the new oferings from Metzeler (M1) and Bridgestone (BT012).

---------------------------------------

G
#10 ·
Maker-Dunlop
Model-D207
Size- Front-120/70/17 Rear- 190/50/17 Installed on- 97 Gixxer750
Ridden for_?????????______ Kms
Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-_2_
Comments: I can't even remeber when I got these, but I havn't had any scary moments because of them. I think they look cool too.

G
#11 ·
Maker- Michelin
Model- Pilot Sport
Size- 120/65/17 180/55/17
Ridden- 5000km
Rating- 2
Installed On- 2000 zx-6r
Comments- very nice tires, bike came with 207's stock and i find that these tires grip a bit better. they dont seem to wear as well of course, but the warm up and grip are worth it. the front has resisted cupping better than the 207's and feels better under braking. the only thing i have found is that they dont work as well in the wet, especially in the rear tire.

#12 · (Edited)
Maker- Bridgestone
Model- BT012SS
Size- 120/70/17 & 190/50/17
Installed on 2002 R1
Ridden for 10000kms
Rating- 1
Comments- stick better than my 208's did. High speed stability is a little better than the 208's. The 012's are cooked at 10000kms were I think I got about 12000kms out of the 208's.

#13 ·
Mechanic said:
:( I'm sorry. Just trying to squeak in a hurried reply during my all too short lunch break :(

I promise not to do it again :angel
So hit the "Edit" button and fix'er up lad.... :D

Same with the rest of you. Gixxer108 and Motorcycle Man "Edit" in your bike model. This only really fits for the readers if they know what you're riding these tires on. Sure they can look at your avatar message to see what you ride NOW but if you change it then they get the wrong picture. Year and model please. Kjm750, Edit in a likely guess at least. It doesn't need to be spot on but just a guess to the nearest thousand will do fine.

So I take it by the overwhelming response that you like this idea....

I'm thinking of doing the same thing for exhausts, both full and cans, Wash 'N Wax products and whatever the public wants.

Toss in your ideas and I'll clean this up later.

G
#16 ·
Maker- Michelin
Model- Macadam 90x
Size- Front- Rear- 120/70/17, 180/55/17
Installed on - 2000 VTR
Ridden for_7000 Kms
Rating- 4

These were the OEM tires that came with the bike. In a word, scary. Don't know if they ever warmed up as they never grabbed. Only got 7000 out of the rear and the front cupped at 5k.

Maker- Bridgestone
Model- Battleax 010
Size- Front- Rear- 120/70/17, 180/55/17
Installed on - 2000 VTR
Ridden for_8000 Kms
Rating- 2

Much better, they inspired confidence in the tires and let me concentrate on my riding. Not too much more I could ask from a tire at my skill level. I feel that this tire is the best bang for the buck right now.

Maker- Bridgestone
Model- Battleax 012
Size- Front- Rear- 120/70/17, 190/50/17
Installed on - 2002 Zx 9R
Ridden for_8000 Kms
Rating- 2

OEM tire. Hard to compare the 012's to the 010's as they were on 2 different bikes but they felt much the same. The 012's had a tendency to step out in the rear a bit more but that could be the difference between a twin and IL4. I am replacing these with the 010's.

#17 ·
Gee! You guys that hate the Bridgestones b010 must be expert racers!British Bike magazine rated them the best in wet and cool weather and they also won the dry weather test in 2002.They like them very much.The Dunlop 207rr were rated last!Check out the January Bike magazine ,Good test.I have went through at least 4 rears on my Busa and have replaced them with B010s every time on the front as well ,I find them a great tire,I also use them on the dragstrip as well they hook so well.And no bitch strips left must be getting it over a bit.:D

#18 ·
Maker - Dunlop
Model - D207
Size - Front - 120/70 ZR17 (29 psi), Rear - 180/55 ZR17(32psi)
Installed on- 2001 R6
Ridden for- Time not Kms
Rating 2

I know this will not apply for most, but it's info any way.

I didn't have my R6 ready intime for the first day at PIR last spring, so I borrowed a friends bone stock R6 for the Saturday practice. It had the OEM rubber on it and I didn't want to take them off until Sunday raceday. I was very surprised at the grip they had even with the ambient temp around 65 deg f. They warmed up very quick, I had good feed back till they got really hot. After the 4th lap I found the front would tuck, and I would get big front wheel slides out of turn#1. The rear tire felt good but didn't give me the confidence that I was used to, but it seemed to grip well till it to got hot. I let the tires cool for a lap and they would come back. Overall I liked it for a street tire, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be on the track. Oh there was 4500 ks on them.

After the day at the track, which was four 20 minute sessions, they didn't look real good. The front was cupped bad and the rear was down to the wear markers with some big chunks gone.

#19 ·
Oops! bridgestone b010 190/70/17 rear,b010 120/70/17 front i get about average 3500km to 4500km rear if no burnouts and about 7 to 8000km from front.On a 2000 Hayabusa 1300 lightly modded.:p I don't know what i would rate them at as i am not a expert:D Although they are very predictable and give lots of warning before braking loose.The only thing i find that because they are so sticky they tend to wear quite rapidly at high speed probably because they heat up fast.I am buying them again!Also they are priced at a affordable price compared to other exotic tires. :D

#20 ·
Maker: Bridgestone
Model: BT 010
Size: 180/55
Installed on: '98 Kawi 6R
Ridden for: 7000 kms
Rating: 2.5

I've found there tires to stick great in both dry and wet weather. They get really sticky after only a little bit of riding. The profile of the tire made it much easier to roll from side to side, thus improving turning. I've never lost my back end around the corner so i'd say these tires are very confidence-boosting. I'd get these again! :thumbup

#21 · (Edited)
Maker-Michelin
Model-Pilot Sport
Size- Front- 120/70-17 Rear- 180/55-17
Installed on- CBR 600
Ridden for- 10,000 km
Rating- 1.5

Comments- OK, I'm not sure what rating to give these tires as they are the first set on this bike and I don't have much to compare to. But I know that they hold their ground in the corners and at 10,000 km they aren't anywhere near dead yet. I hope to put on another 10,000 km before trying the BT012SS.

G
#22 ·
maker: bridgestone
model: bt010
size: front-120-70-17 rear- 190-50-17
installed on: cbr 929rr 2001
ridden for: 4600 kms
rating: 1.5
A certain improvement over dunlops 207's on my f41 2002. Better feel and rideability and they don't slip at the rear when going over those black patch lines they put on the roads

#23 ·
A link to the new Pirelli Diablo courtesty of Dee604. Thanks Dee.

http://www.pirellimoto.com/tires/catalogo/scheda.asp?ID=294

Remember folks. If you find a site with a test review or new product debut feel free to post a link to the page here. Please don't copy the material directly though. If it's appropriate I'll ask them for permission myself if you PM me the details.

Track test comparos are a perfect example. But no magazine scans please. That's copyrighted material. But post up a notice about the magazine and month so others can buy it.

#24 · (Edited)
Maker-Michelin
Model-Sport Pilot rear
Size-180/55ZR17
Installed on-93 CBR900RR
Ridden-aprox 5000 kms
Rating 1

Sorry guys, haven't used many street tires, I ride on all my GP take-offs but I do use the above tire and have no complaints, it warms up fast, has awesome grip, I can hammer the throttle cranked over and hooks up, like my 208GP's, works well in the wet and in the cold-when we went up to Squamish with ice on the road, heated up fast and not a squirm.
I am trying the street new Dunlop 208 when bike is reinsured.

February's Sport Rider has a race tire comparo, pretty interesting, but basically, there is no difference. They were all so close, it comes down to price and preference!!!

G
#25 ·
Maker- Kenda
Model-Trackmaster
Size- I'd have to go to the garage and look.:rolleyes
Installed on DR350 Enduro, rear. Think there's a Pirelli on the front:rolleyes
Ridden-Vegas and California desert. Some BC riding.
Rating-At $80 who cares?:laughing

Handles sand well. Knobs seem to get ripped off by sharp rocks though:laughing Seems to also handle wet crap up here:eek

Overall rating? ...............Can't beat the price:laughing :rider :thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.