Motorcycle luggage and touring accessories reviews - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle luggage and touring accessories reviews

Geo
    Originally posted by Mischa
    Just curious...but doesn't anyone ever wear backpacks?
    I did until I bought one-piece leathers. At least it forced me to meet new people. Nothing breaks the ice like asking a total stranger help you take off your backpack.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Silentmemory
    I wear a back pack when dirt riding but am still a little wary of it. I try not to pack stuff that will stab me to death when I fall off

For street use I don't bother with saddle bags or even use my tank bags that much anymore. I go to London Drugs and buy one of their cheap, large carry on type bags for less than $20 and stuff everything into garbage bags and then into the carry on. A cargo net and some bungees and I'm off.

The carry on usually only lasts a year before its worn out but at $20 a pop, who cares?

I got a hold of a bunch of commerical fishing net recently and am going to make some elasticized straps with hooks on them. Instant cargo net that will never wear out and snap on a trip like one did. I'll also use it to make a larger cargo net to secure stuff in the truck.

Not Hanging Out Here Array Sailor's Avatar
    Bike
    1978 Twinstar 185
    I'm going to have to start backpacking it until I get a new tank bag. I have a kinda no name bag, extendable, huge, very nice for long trips (you can rest on it). It doesn't stick to plastic however. I'm looking for a reasonable priced strap on that's a good size.

Suggestions?
    I ride purely, and only, because it is fun.

I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me.

**author unknown**

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

So here is my throttlemiester (125am$ from sporttouringusa.com). It also comes with a matching bar-end for the left. As a cruise control it is second rate. As a bar-end it kicks.
    You engage it by turning the bar-end (the steel bit on the end) towards you. This moves a piston (the brass thing in between) against the grip. To disengage it you turn it away from you. If you have hotgrips, as I do, it presses against the grip's side, if you have normal grips you must add a 'friction plate' that is provided with the kit.

Hotgrips..

Without hotgrips....

I was primarily looking to dampen some of the vibrations out of my clipons. It does this so well that I found myself riding faster since I was not getting the expected vibrations from the bike.

Don't get those soft neoprean grips, they don't stop vibration. Barends dampen vibration. That is why they are there. This is also why some harleys dont have them.

When it comes to cruise control the throttlemiester is not one. It does not hold a speed, but a throttle setting. It simply adds resistance to the throttle movement. You can still change the throttle position, but if you let it go it will not 'snap' back to idle. To utilize the throttle miester you MUST be on a flat, strait road such as highway one. You must also be alone. It should NEVER be used while riding in a group unless you are leading. With it turned on you cannot simply pull in the clutch and let go of the throttle. If I have to stop fast (bunny on the road) I just let it rev, that's what limiters are for.

It might seem to be an inconveniance, but when you are heading home on a cold highway, being able to streach out your right hand/wrist for a couple minutes at a time feels sooo gooood.

Remember to read all the warning labels.
    -Sandworm

PS..

If you plan on ordering both hotgips and the throttlemeister do not tell them that you are doing this. The two companies will not sell you thier product if they know that you have installed the other. I don't know exactly why, everyone I have met has installed them together as a set.
    Last edited by Sandworm; 03-04-2003 at 07:17 PM.

Bike
    VMAX Ghettobike: CB450
    Type- Tankbag
    Maker- Joe Rocket
    Model- Sport Tank
    Bike(s) used on- Yamaha V-max
    Recomendation- 1-poor to 5 excellent - 4
    Comments - I've used it in the city going to school and or work, as well as going on longer 3 day trips... no complaints except in the city the the handlebar/ steering stem strap gets in the way, but can it be tucked into the main bag compartment. The 2 pieces easily zip together, but I only use the top piece for long rides. In the city the bottom part (the main piece that has the magnets) just barely fits notebooks which is helpful. I've tried to use a thin piece of felt between it and the tank (to prevent scratching the paint), but it doesnt hold well this way unless the steering stem strap is used.
    No real complaints, but a slightly larger base size would be good for notebook duty

Type - Throttle Rocker
    Maker - " "
    Recomendation - 5
    Comments- the Throttle Rocker is a simple plastic material "flap" which clips onto your throttle grip allowing you to lessen your grip on the throttle control as the palm of your hand takes some of the effort needed to keep the throttle open. Potentially much safer than a throttle lock and simple to install (all of 5 seconds) and cheap ~10 bucks or so. I only really use it on long droning rides where my cramped hand needs relief.
    http://www.throttlerocker.com/

Not Hanging Out Here Array Sailor's Avatar
    Bike
    1978 Twinstar 185
    Type - Strap on Tank Bag
    Maker - Teknic
    Model - Deluxe
    Bike(s) used on - 1990 FZR600
    Recomendation - So far it's allright. I give it a 3 (1 poor, 5 good)
    Comments - The instructions say 10lbs max. That's not even enough clothes for a weekend! As with most strap on's it tends to slide a bit. A little of that non-slip matting works good though and a result is that your tank (or tank cover on fizzers) doesn't get all skuffed up. Mounting was a little strange as my front strap goes around my steering stem right above the rad and the back strap goes under the seat off to one side.
    http://www.teknicgear.com/pages/coll..._tank_bag.html

Type - Magnetic Tank Bag
    Maker - no-name
    Model - ???
    Bike(s) used on - 1985 Kawasaki GPz305
    Recomendation - 5
    Comments - I bought this bag from BK last year. It's expandable at the top and the top zips off to boot. It's a huge bag and I used it on my trip to Port Hardy last year. Wonderful carrying capacity and because of the expanded height I could rest my chin on it on the highway. It has (I think) 4 magnets on each side and it doesn't move at all. If I could fit a steel tank on my fizzer I would use this bag again.

I'll try and get a pic of it.
    I ride purely, and only, because it is fun.

I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me.

**author unknown**

Ride to you limits Array clutch's Avatar
    Bike
    To big and to fast for you
    Type- Tankbag (magnetic)
    Maker- Gear
    Model- Gear
    Bike(s) used on- 03 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Recomendation- 5 excellent

Comment:
    $75.00 excellent price,
    Expandable, Removable magnetic base included. Both Magnetic and Storage case have map viewing compartments.
    Storage cover has to side storage compartments and turns into a backpack, Also included is locking straps and shoulder strap

More than meets the eye Array Pvt. BLOGGINS's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 Katana 750, 1992 GS500
    Anyone try "Oxfords" yet? They look pretty good (tank and saddle bags)

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt. BLOGGINS
    Type- Tankbag (magnetic)
    Maker- Oxford
    Model- Oxford Sports Lifetime Luggage Compact Tankbag (OF660)
    Bike(s) used on- 03 SV650S
    Recomendation- 5 excellent
    Price - I paid $100.00 for it from my dealer when I picked up my bike.

I have an Oxford tankbag. The 10L one. It is nice. Has a map pocket on top. Also comes with a raincover and shoulder strap and zip out rucksack straps. It is magnetic, but has removable straps for plastic tanks.

One nice feature is that you can unzip the bag from the magnetic base, which just leaves the base on teh tank, which also has a map pocket on it. The bag also expands from being the same height at the front and rear, to increasing the height by approximately 4".

It is low and narrow at the front and high and wide at the rear. It also has one pocket on each side, running the whole length of the bag.

I use it around town when I am picking small things up or doong errands. It will hold several UK bike magazines in it.

http://www.oxprod.com/pages/compactlife.html
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Ride to you limits Array clutch's Avatar
    Bike
    To big and to fast for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt. BLOGGINS
    Oxfprds are an awsom product your tank bag gan go up to 20Lts
    and the rear bag and saddle bages can store up to 40Lts each.. the saddle bags have a coating on the bottom so your exhaust wont damage or bun through them..

Rock bottom here I come Array Dalma's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda VFR800
    I have an oxford tank bag as well. Mine is like the photo above but it also has a key / wallet pocket on the back edge. I would rate mine a 5 out of 5.

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge

Thumbs up

Type- Soft luggage, rack mounted
    Maker- Ventura
    Model- Ventura Bike=Pack System using Pack Rack and P145 Bag
    Bike(s) used on- 03 SV650S
    Recomendation- 5+ excellent
    Price - $600 including shipping, brokerage, customs charges
    Bought from - www.cycleventure.com in Edmonds, Washington

Basically I was looking for luggage that would hold all of my gear for going back and forth to work. That usually consists of several pens, screwdriver, gum, keys, wallet, boots, and my regualr shirt if it is long sleeve and a sweater (won't fit under my leather jacket). Backpacks weren't cutting it as the boots dug into my back and I couldn't shoulder check as well as I would like to.

I had seen pictures of the Ventura system being used on bikes in Australia and New Zealand and it looked like it would be perfect. Since I ride my bike everyday, rain or shine, I am looking for practicality, not just style.

You must buy specific pieces to fit your bike, which are the L-brackets, pack-rack, sport-rack(which I didn't buy), and grab rail. These brackets may be able to be used on other bikes then your own, but you must cross-reference the numbers on the brochure that Amy from www.Cycleventure.com can send you.

I bought the L-brackets, pack rack, grab rail, P145 bag, and storm cover. The bag is 45L and is capable of carrying a maximum of 20lbs worth of whatever. The bag slides over the pack rack and secures to the rack with a pair of quick release fasteners, which can be undone with gloves on. It is very secure when in place and does not move around. The bag has 1 large and 1 small compartment, 1 side clear pocket for maps (but it is large and it holding my storm cover) and 1 side bungee net pocket for water bottles or anything else you need to get to fast.

The instructions are very thourough and easy to understand. That is all there is to say about that.

When riding solo, the bag faces your back, sitting on the passengers seat. On my bike, it rubs on the OEM grab handle, so I must get some clear sticky film to cover it. Those with solo seat covers wouldprobably want to do the same. When taking a passenger, the bag mounts facing the rear. It sits on a built in rack base to keep it supported.

When riding without the bag, the L-brackets must have something mounting into them so that if a crash occurs, you cannot be speared by the open ends. Instead of riding around with the pack rack, I purchased the grad handle also. This handle is much higher than my OEM on and is much easier for my wife to hold onto as she can get both hands under it and she doesn't have to sit so upright.

I have tested the bag up to the maximum allowable speed of 130 km/h with it sitting facing me and it is hardly noticable. The only time I notice it is there is in strong crosswinds, but it really makes no difference. During my daily commute, which consists of city/freeway riding between 20km/h~90km/h, I have never noticed the bag once. I can barely see it in my mirrors.

The only thing that may bother people is the fact that you can't lock it to the bike and forget about it. The instructions show you to use a lock through one of the D-rings to the rack itself, but that just keeps the bag to the bike, the compartments can still be opened. However, yesterday I had all of my work gear in the bag, put in my riding gloves and full face helmet, and took it with me shopping. There is a top mounted carry handle and optional shoulder straps to convert it into a backpack.

Like I said above, this product gets a 5+ from me. It is all I will ever need for space. If I require more luggage capacity, another P145 or P135 bag can be zippered to my exisiting bag, creating 80L or 90L worth of carrying capacity, however, this could only be done riding solo. There is also a Sport Rack and Sport Pack which is only 10L in size, but would be a good choice for small trips around town. I woudn't use it since I have a tankbag for that already.

L-brackets, Grab Handle

L-brackets, Pack Rack

L-brackets, Pack Rack, P145 facing forward

L-brackets, Pack Rack, P145 facing rearward

P145 Closeup
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    I'm looking for a reasonable priced strap on that's a good size.

Suggestions?

More than meets the eye Array Pvt. BLOGGINS's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 Katana 750, 1992 GS500
    Type - Tankbag
    Maker - Oxford
    Model - Humpback
    Comments - Great bag, very versatile, soldily built
    Bike(s) used on - 2004 Katana 750
    Recomendation - 5 excellent

Type - Tankbag
    Maker - Gears
    Model - NA
    Comments - Not your biggest, multipocket tankbag.
    Bike(s) used on - CBR F4i
    Recomendation -****5**** I use mine to store a pair of Jeans, sweater, shirt, sox, MP3 player, wallet & cell without busting ma fingers closing zippers. Its nice to lay on (long distance/highway travel) when full. It has 7 magnets which are 45mm in diameter and 15mm in depth. Rubber like surface material. This thing DOES NOT SLIP! ESP. Never had a problem thorwing it on a wet tank. It aint going nowhere! If your looking for a bag thats practicle this one rox for 55 bux... think actuall retail was like 75 bux. (last years stock)

Type - Backpack
    Maker - Osprey
    Model - Dunno
    Comments - Huh? what backpack?
    Bike(s) used on - CBR F4i
    Recomendation -****4**** Comfy! Bewtween this and my tank bag Im set for a week of camping, minus beer of course. This thing holds 2 Sweaters, 4 or so shirts, a piar of sweats, 1 shorts, more socks, my trusty Nike sandals, a three piece fly rod my compaq laptop (its small 12"x10"x1 1/4") my backpackers tent (This thing rox! only 1.5kg pack weight!) Digi Cam, morning amenities such as ADVIL No need for a blanket, the beer/rye/vodka/tequilla keeps me warm and fuzzy nough.

I'm able to combined two things I really enjoy doing with ease thanks to these two items, as well as low hinderance from having the added "baggage" Hope that helps somewhat.....