Motorcycle luggage and touring accessories reviews - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle luggage and touring accessories reviews

Bike
    Konker KPX 125
    Type- tailbag
    Maker- Wolfman Luggage
    Model- Alpha

Comments- Great bag. As I've got high mount pipes, I couldn't buy a set of saddlebags without risking melting them. Plus, why fiddle with two bags, when you can fit so much more into this. Tons of room, the pic I've attached has two regular pillows within (testing fit). Straps are well placed easy on, easy off, however they do rest on the fairings on my bike, I put some gaffer tape down first and I was scuff free last year.

Bike(s) used on- VTR1000F
    Recomendation- 4

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    BMW

Non-Magnetic Tank Bag Recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendation for NON-MAGNETIC tank bags? I have an older Wolfman Magnetic Bag which is no good with my new plastic tank.

Thanks

ps I highly recommend the Wolfman Bag for those of you with metal tanks. It served me well for 7 years on my VFR750.

Registered Abuser Array rubberhead's Avatar
    Bike
    blue VFR
    Oxford Sports Lifetime Luggage

I have the expander tank bag and the panniers. They are brand new and I haven't tried them yet because I don't want to mark the paint. Once I get chamois cloth for the straps I'll install the panniers and go out for a quick tour. I've used the tank bag. It's unbeatable. The quality of this product is excellent in appearance and workmanship! I believe it really is lifetime luggage. The set came with the bike so I can't give you the price, but it's a British product made to British standards.

http://www.oxprod.com
    I have two Hondas. Can I breed them?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    08 KLR
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberhead
    Oxford Sports Lifetime Luggage
    http://www.oxprod.com
    I can vouch for the Oxford panniers as well. I had them until I got the hard luggage for my Beemer. In some ways, the soft stuff was better (expandable, etc.). The Oxfords were very well made with lots of nice little touches.
    Transportation is serious business.

contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    Bike
    TBA
    to any of you guys that have bought the Oxford Sports Lifetime Luggage
    did you find it locally?
    if not, where?

I'm looking at getting this model
    nobody gets out alive

Registered User Array
    Bike
    FZ1
    Have you checked out motopak?

http://www.motopakluggage.com/index.html

I got the GT-35 and am very happy with it. Gives the Oxford a run for their money!

contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    Bike
    TBA
    Quote Originally Posted by fz1
    Have you checked out motopak?

http://www.motopakluggage.com/index.html

I got the GT-35 and am very happy with it. Gives the Oxford a run for their money!
    that good, huh?
    yeah, I've been looking through their stuff too.

I'd really like to be able to check the pack out in person before buying, but *sigh* may not be that easy.
    nobody gets out alive

Bike
    2004 Suzuki SV 650
    anyone sell the motopak luggage localy. I am looking for a set of the panniers and was thinking of the oxfords. I have seen them and they look very durable and practical. what are people using to protect bodywork from marking while riding with soft panniers?

Registered User Array redlightklondik's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 SV1000S (for sale), 2005 V-Strom 1000, 2003 BWS 50cc
    I just bit the bullet and bought a bunch of MotoPak gear.

GT-20 tank bag
    GTS-60 saddlebags
    GT-Roll tail duffle bag.

for all three, the price came to about 275 CDN including shipping (he gave me 20% off for the package deal).

I'm going on the V-Star ride through Nakusp this weekend (I used to have a V-Star) so I'll be finding out real quick how it all works. I'll post my impressions.

So far, the gear looks well built (though some zippers seems suspect of lower quality) and the bags are totally packed with functional features.

RLK

redlight - how did the MotoPak gear work out over the summer? I need a new tank bag and their stuff looks pretty nice.

gsxr people

just wondering what gsxr people use on both tank and tail....the tank is probably the same as most bike bikes but the tail seems a lot wider

thanks

Bike
    McKinley 12-Speed

Joe Rocket Manta XL tank bag

Type - Tankbag
    Maker - Joe Rocket
    Model - Manta XL
    Price (MSRP) - CAD$59.95
    Comments - New for 2007. Not quite for your 'four corners' trip but everything you liked about the 'Manta' tankbag, but bigger & better.
    Bike(s) used on - 2006 GSX-R750
    Recomendation -****5****

I own a full size set of double-decker tankbags which I use for overnight road trips. But I needed a smaller daypack tank bag and found happiness in the Joe Rocket 'Manta' tank bag. Big enough for money, cell phone, sunglasses, a bottle of water, small sundries and a ball cap. Life was grand. Or was it?

I alternate smoked and clear face shields and when knowing I'd need to switch I'd have to bring my big tank bag as the Manta was too small for the replacment shield.

Well the folks at Joe Rocket must have picked up on my telepathy and have come out with a BIGGER Manta bag called the Manta XL. It fits my change of shield and has a bigger main storage compartment an dbigger cell phone compartment (wil fit Blackberries). It has a better magnet placments for my half metal/hal plastic tank. It has a better carry handle and for interested parties a CD-player sized pocket with earbud/cord hole. It has its own storage pocket for the rain cover and comes with a shoulder strap.

Anyone interested in buying my used regular 'Manta' bag?
    Last edited by Godspeed; 05-25-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    03 FZ1 Bee
    Type- Tankbag
    Maker- Someone in China, marketed in Canada as MotoPak
    Model- GT-35
    Comments- see below.
    Bike(s) used on- 1989 FJ1200, 1993 VFR750
    Recomendation-1-poor to 5 excellent: I'd give this a 3 based largely on it being cheap rather than particularly good.

I bought this thing on fleabay, although the canadian distributor now has a site at http://www.motopakluggage.com/gt35.html

The idea of this one is good, a small magnetic base with a safety strap that can stay on the bike and two stacking bags that convert into two (sort of) backpacks. The bottom bag can be used separately and expands. The top bag is also *supposed* to be able to be used on its own. More on this later.

The design of this even is good. The lower bag has three handy exterior pockets, both have a clear map pocket on top, and many of the details (expanding zipper with snaps to secure the zipper pulls for instance) are well thought through.

What lets this bag down is crappy materials and poor execution. As soon as it arrived marked Made In China and I felt how light it all was, I kind of figured I should have spent the money and got a Marsee/Wolfman/Eclipse/Oxford. Anything made in the first world by someone who rides and understands riders, really. The cordura on this stuff is a bit light and seems to wear faster than most quality nylon fabrics, and the seams are mostly single stitch and not reinforced very well. It required a lot of fiddling to get it put together in the first place (plastic stiffeners that are not installed and are a bitch). The zippers are light duty, something not out of place on a light windbreaker but not really inspiring confidence that the rig is going to stay mounted to the magnetic base and your bike. While you are supposed to be able to mount either pack to the base, the two use different zippers from different manufacturers and are not compatible.

On the VFR with its high tank, I can only use the lower bag and it still blocks the view of the dash a bit.

All in including shipping, I think I paid about $80 for it and figured I got what I paid for and not much else. At what the guy wants on the web page I'd feel ripped off, but they do sell cheaper on ebay and are regularly on if you think it's the ticket for you.

For anyone who intends to use their luggage for one big trip or just occasionally, it's probably fine. For anyone who intends to use it a lot, better to spend the money on something better made.
    Last edited by dale-j; 07-25-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    03 FZ1 Bee

Motopak

Quote Originally Posted by SVR View Post
    anyone sell the motopak luggage localy. I am looking for a set of the panniers and was thinking of the oxfords. I have seen them and they look very durable and practical. what are people using to protect bodywork from marking while riding with soft panniers?

The guy that sells Motopak has moved from Manitoba to Westbank BC now. I think he just sells direct on ebay and by his website.
    If you scout a bit on ebay you will see a number of guys in the states selling the same stuff under different labels as well.

My thought if you are considering the Oxfords is just get them. They are in a different league from this stuff and I think you will be disappointed with the MotoPak stuff if that (Oxford) is the expectation you have in terms of quality.
    Last edited by dale-j; 07-25-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    03 FZ1 Bee
    Quote Originally Posted by slam View Post
    that good, huh?
    yeah, I've been looking through their stuff too.

I'd really like to be able to check the pack out in person before buying, but *sigh* may not be that easy.
    Come look at mine any time you want. North Delta, pm me.