BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Feedback needed for Scrap-It Program

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  made Man 
#1 ·
As you may have already heard, after a phone call from Mike Bruce (Carter Honda) regarding whether or not motorcycles were included in B.C.’s SCRAP-IT Program BCCOM decided to look into the matter and have since written to the Ministry asking for motorcycles to be included.

For those of you not aware of the program it is an incentive by the Ministry of the Environment to try to get automobiles older than 1995 off the road. This is how it would work, you turn in your car and purchase a motorcycle newer than 2006 from a dealer registered with the program and depending on the amount of green house gas your old vehicle emits you can receive and incentive worth $500.00 up to a maximum of $2000.00!

The Coalition feels that it should also be available to purchase a newer motorcycle being as they give the incentive for bus passes and the purchase of bicycles. For more information on how it works go to www.scrapit.ca and we will keep you informed as to the decision made.

We are asking all riders to please go to our poll at www.bccom-bc.com and vote, as the Scrap-It program wishes to know if there is an appetite for this program before it is implemented. Thank you.

Adele Tompkins
Executive Director
B.C. Coalition of Motorcyclists

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
I've used the program 4 times & every time I would have lost the deal if it wasn't for Scrap-It. Part of the Scrap-It money ($500) is kicked in by the dealer (that's the dealer's 'cost' of being an authorized Scrap-It dealer) & the rest of your Scrap-It money comes from the government.

Lets say you've been spying a KLR, for example, & the bike costs $8000 (too lazy to look up real cost). You're current ride is a V8 powered 1992 Crown Vic:

View attachment 74635

New Vehicle Incentive

If you are buying a 2004 or newer vehicle from a participating dealer, the incentive value depends on the vehicle being scrapped and the replacement vehicle. The value is based on the greenhouse gas reduction that occurs when you scrap your old vehicle and replace it with a new one.

- To qualify for $2,250 you need to reduce CO2 by at least 4 tonnes over 3 years.
- To qualify for $1,250 you need to reduce CO2 by at least 2 tonnes over 3 years.
- Anything less than 2 tonnes CO2 reduction over 3 years qualifies for $750

Crown Vic = 4.84 tonnes x 3 years = 14.52 tonnes
"KLR" (aka Swift) = 3.03 tonnes x 3 years = 9.09 tonnes

14.52 - 9.09 = 5.43 tonnes saved over 3 years = $2,250 Scrap-It qualification

$8000 KLR - $2250 total Scrap-It discount = $5750 + taxes/etc cost to you. In essence you just got $2250 for what I would call a "dollar car" (i.e., worthless). A good deal, wouldn't you agree?

#8 ·
I think that is a fantastic idea. They have a similar program here, the money can be used towards alot of things, from running shoes to bus passes, to gym memberships, bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades - somehow I forsee scooters or limited cc bikes only being allowed, would love to be proven wrong...but its unlikely the gov't will support increase in motorcycles due to public scrutiny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.