Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP) - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP)

Bike
    Tl1000S
    All I know from my own experience is that I have more near misses if I take the loud pipes off my bikes (crazy I know) for a period of time. Not exactly scientific but for myself it's evidence enough and I'd rather pay a ticket from time to time and have that extra little bit of safety however minute it is. Also helps not to ride like a knob all the time (crazy I know).
    99 Suzuki TL1000s(Sold :( )
    08 Ducati monster s2r 1000

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

road rash Array
    Bike
    of the future...........
    in general this sucks and its complete BLSH...............no other state except California....or country there is a law like this....cause if there is........there is gonna be no aftermarket company's to produce equipment for motorcycle or cars!

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Like I said; It's a sociopolitical issue.

As far as I've turned up in my research, there has been ZERO testing to either prove or DISPROVE the idea that 'loud pipes = increased awareness of a motorcyclists presence'.

Make no mistake: this law is 100% about appeasing the complainers in our society - who in all likelyhood, will very quickly move on to bitching about something else very soon. You know, the folks who move into the downtown core... or even next to a racetrack, then have the audacity to bitch about the ambient noise. Retards.

Perfect example of the way these brains work;
    My friend is in construction. He is involved in the building of the endless plague of condos and subdivisions that are sweeping across our province.
    Apparently, a lot of people will move into a freshly finished house before the paint even dries - perhaps one of the few finished houses in an endless expanse of new development land - then promptly come out first thing in the morning to bitch about the noise of construction...

Retards.

again, I'm not advocating sonic-boom inducing levels of most straight-piped v-twins - but I seriously believe there's a happy medium of 'nice' sound levels that are much more noticeable and enjoyable than stock.
    Last edited by DNAspark99; 06-02-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Not wearing pants. Array klutch's Avatar
    Bike
    Schwinn with tassles
    Oh come on, the "loud pipes save lives" chant is fucking bullshit and you know it. At least aknowledge it for what it is - your own audio pleasure and the "lookit me" factor - instead of passing off loud exhausts as some safety feature.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatrider View Post
    Oh come on, the "loud pipes save lives" chant is fucking bullshit and you know it. At least aknowledge it for what it is - your own audio pleasure and the "lookit me" factor - instead of passing off loud exhausts as some safety feature.
    PROVE IT.
    go ahead. prove it wrong. Prove it properly. Prove it scientifically. Prove it once and for all, and I will fully concede the point, and may even go throw my stock system back on just to make everyone happy.

Buuuuuuut.... you probably can't prove it either way. Not without proper experimentation and testing. Which, afaik, no one has ever done.

So you may say the burden of proof is on the advocates of 'loud pipes save lives'.

But the burden of proof is also on the anti-advocates to DISPROVE it.
    Which hasn't been done.

until then, I rely on my personal, first hand experience and observations. Which is to say; sound aids in awareness, both as a rider and a driver. So disprove the observations. The onus is on you.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    1200 RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Heflix View Post
    All I know from my own experience is that I have more near misses if I take the loud pipes off my bikes (crazy I know) for a period of time. Not exactly scientific but for myself it's evidence enough and I'd rather pay a ticket from time to time and have that extra little bit of safety however minute it is. Also helps not to ride like a knob all the time (crazy I know).
    With 2 of the loudest sportbikes ever made in your sig line, I will try and not let it influence my acknowledgement of your opinion.

I do find your experience interesting though as I have only had stock, quiet exhaust and only rely on defensive riding practises and lane positions to stay out of the way of errant cagers. Never had I wished the bike(s) was louder in the name of hypothetical safety....never.

I had a drag boat many years ago, and the open exhaust/over the transom headers were cool (in my youthful opinion) for about 2 months and then I heard all the other noise makers destroying the enjoyment of the public. I put water injection on after that. There was no collective call for safer boating thru loud pipes, no slogans such as loud boats save lives or any other generic excuse that usually points back to the operator getting a kick out of the sound.

I think that instead of aftermarket noisy exhausts, money better spent would be on an off road bike to hone your avoidance/riding skills. This will save your life, not a loud pipe.

Bike
    1200 RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Heflix View Post
    How about this?........with loud pipes you hear the noise and think you are going faster than you really are. With quiet pipes, you ride a bit faster because the speed sensation isn't there from the loud pipes, and therefore you end up speeding more with the quiet set up....which leads to more close calls and dangerous siuations, based on speeding around cagers.

Can I get a witness?

Shiftless clutcher Array ZoomaFoo's Avatar
    Bike
    '01 GSX-R600 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by brani_ca View Post
    ... because of my loud pipes i only have 3 titanium bolts in my knee and,6 ribs broken......if i didn't have the pipes i would of being in heaven by now!
    I'm glad you weren't injured more seriously or killed in those incidents, but I wouldn't attribute your survival to loud pipes. I'm no acoustical engineer but I believe the fundamental principle that supports the theory that loud pipes do not save lives is quite simple: the majority of noise emitted by the exhaust emits from out the back of the muffler and not out ahead of the motorcycle. That sound will be most easily heard by following motorists, not those ahead of you who are more likely to cut you off, run straight into you, etc.
    "When in doubt, FLAT OUT!"

Not wearing pants. Array klutch's Avatar
    Bike
    Schwinn with tassles
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    PROVE IT.

You, of all people, should see this argument for what it is. Haven't we talked about the justification of belief before? Just like the argument for God, the burden of proof lies on the person introducing the hypothesis. Where are the grounds for believing loud pipes save lives? I'd be more inclined to side with the unreasonable Christians in believing 'Jesus saves' more than a Termignoni does. You own a car, don't you? Have you ever driven on the highway and been passed by a sportbike or Harley? Save for looking in my mirrors (which few do, apparently), I don't hear them until they're alongside my door or ahead of me, even with aftermarket pipes. Even in the city, with the buildings acting as acoustic amplifiers, its impossible to tell the direction of travel of a loud bike. Emergency services and the companies that supply them with equipment have spent millions on developing sirens and other audible systems to alert drivers to their presence and direction of travel, and it's STILL hard to tell where they're coming from.

Registered User Array smokeshow81's Avatar
    Bike
    Looking
    goatrider is right... if you want testing get in a cage. The only time you hear a sportbike comming from behind you is when your at a stop and here comes lane splitter rider.

Other then that the wind noise or lack there of for all the dampening in new cars give the result that your not heard till your right beside us. If your making a pass I wouldn't know your there unless you were seen in the mirror which is why we always stay in positions where we can view the driver in their mirror.
    Young Drivers of Canada - class 5
    Cyclelogics - class 6
    Benji's Driving School - class 1
    Find me on skype: shawn radakovich

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    2006 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow81 View Post
    Other then that the wind noise or lack there of for all the dampening in new cars give the result that your not heard till your right beside us.
    Especially the high end luxury vehicles with N stickers in Richmond that will cut you off.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    ^Not just luxury cars...I've had a lot of Corollas cut me off too!
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    2006 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
    ^Not just luxury cars...I've had a lot of Corollas cut me off too!
    I meant the 7-series are probably more sound proof than a corolla, with worse drivers.

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    The Law sayeth unto you, "Thou shall not have loud pipes."
    You rebut the law, saying "Prove to me loud pipes do, or do not do."
    The Law sayeth, "Loud pipes are loud pipes. Thou shall not have loud pipes, whether or not they do, or do not."
    And the sinner payeth for their sin with the fine.

Bike
    Tl1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    With 2 of the loudest sportbikes ever made in your sig line, I will try and not let it influence my acknowledgement of your opinion.

I do find your experience interesting though as I have only had stock, quiet exhaust and only rely on defensive riding practises and lane positions to stay out of the way of errant cagers. Never had I wished the bike(s) was louder in the name of hypothetical safety....never.

I had a drag boat many years ago, and the open exhaust/over the transom headers were cool (in my youthful opinion) for about 2 months and then I heard all the other noise makers destroying the enjoyment of the public. I put water injection on after that. There was no collective call for safer boating thru loud pipes, no slogans such as loud boats save lives or any other generic excuse that usually points back to the operator getting a kick out of the sound.

I think that instead of aftermarket noisy exhausts, money better spent would be on an off road bike to hone your avoidance/riding skills. This will save your life, not a loud pipe.
    Touche touche yes they are a bit loud even in stock form. I've taken some riding courses so I'd like to think that I practice safe riding and am able to predict most unsafe situations. The vast majority of my near misses without the loud pipes have been people merging into my lane with me in it. Partially my fault since I should assume they wouldn't do a mini shoulder check but at least with the open exhaust they 'should' hear me riding next to them. I put on 17k last year mostly in commuting to work with the loud pipes and I can only count a couple of near misses (that weren't my fault). I guess a lot of this is subjective and it would be quite difficult to prove one way or the other. And I'll be completely honest I love loud sexy sounding bikes. I just make sure I idle out of my neighborhood and keep it to a composed dull roar in other neighborhoods .

One thing I have noticed though - My TL and most twins are a lot easier to hear over the majority of their power band than say a 4 banger. Also depends on the engine - I've had friends say they can hear the TL pretty much from 360 degrees whereas the Ducati isn't as easy to pickup. I've also noticed that I can only hear the guys with the 4 cylinder bikes and aftermarket exhausts at certain RPM's and usually only from behind. When it comes down to it though I think as long as you make an effort to respect the people around you and be selective when it comes to letting those pipes breathe I don't think it's that much of an issue. My neighbors all think the harley guys in the neighborhood are knobs and apparently I come across as being a mostly responsible rider (who knew) so I think it's possible to have loud pipes and not be hated by everyone.
    99 Suzuki TL1000s(Sold :( )
    08 Ducati monster s2r 1000