Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP) - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP)

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
    Making up statistics won't get you anywhere. I highly doubt that even 50% of riders have aftermarket pipes.

I'm aloud to bitch because some aftermarket pipes hurt my ears. Especially the way some idiots use them.

Another thing you need to learn. Respect is earned, not demanded. A reply like that won't earn my respect.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

road rash Array
    Bike
    of the future...........
    So in your prospective everyone with a aftermarket exhaust....not using it right is an idiot....and it HURTS YOUR EARS! WOOUUWWEEE
    The world does not revolve around you my man..........welcome to the 21 century and the NEW ERA OF MODIFICATION!
    If u don't like the noise......u better ride off or go bitch somewhere else cause.......the statistics ARE RIGHT.....AND EVERYONE ELSE KNOWS IT.........sure younger dudes like me and the rest of this community like/have aftermarket stuff and rev...a bit more for a showoff but..that's the nature of it....always a little more excitement!
    So If u live in the 19th or 20th century.....that's ok wear ear plugs or get out of the way.............its not illegal to have a aftermarket exhaust on its the decibel reading that the RCMP is setting up 91 or whatever! so.......suck it up and stop raging on the LOUD PIPES......
    PS: They don't save lives....i agree on that with you.....but u have no right to say.........:"I'm aloud to bitch because some aftermarket pipes hurt my ears."............that's a total disrespect....on every allegation...........on this thread and all the riders with aftermarket goodies!
    Last edited by brani_ca; 06-04-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Across moat, past guard dogs and razor wire.
    Bike
    Scooty-Puff Sr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Locksmith View Post
    So you are saying I shouldn't go get my stock bike tested so the idiot with the loud pipe doesn't get into trouble? Why would I want to do anything to allow said idiot to continue to ride with an obnoxious pipe?
    I'm just saying that I don't like being part of a scheme...unless I know that I'm part of a scheme from the start. I have doubts that they're being entirely forthcoming regarding their "Free Noise Check Day".

That said, while I don't agree with excessively loud pipes and run stock on my bike, I also don't think that people who run them are "idiots". I think it's more of a simple difference of opinion. Most of the population thinks we're idiots for just getting on the bike in the first place. Personally, I don't think that you've truly reached the level of "idiot" until you've started to endanger the lives of others. By that measure, loud pipes are one of the least "idiot" things posted on this board. Of course, that's just my opinion. Others will certainly disagree.

Cheers!
    "Fry, I'm an 80's guy. Friendship to me means that for two bucks I'd beat you with a pool cue till you got detached retinas." - That Guy

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Your entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

I look forward to your whiney post about the bad po-po that ticketed you for excessive noise.

I also look forward to your post about the JP/judge that agreed with the cop. After all, society's quiet enjoyment of their lives is less important than your desire to have a too loud exhaust.

Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1
    I don't know about anyone else but I NEED to hear my engine when I ride.
    When my bike had the oem can on it I could barley hear it and it sounded like an electric bus.
    Once I put a aftermarket can on it the bike began to speak to me.
    It changed how I ride it for the better.
    I am not one to use my tach much unless I am shifting near redline.
    So being able to hear my engine over wind noise and ear plugs and sometimes music helps me to ride better.
    That being said I doubt my yosh rs3 can is any louder than a stock Harley.
    Infidels Rule!

road rash Array
    Bike
    of the future...........
    same here,i cant really afford aftermarket at the moment..that's why i have my cans cored out....so i can listen the engine shifting and everything a specially for Twins.....BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE STILL BSH ABOUT THEIR STOCK BIKE and how their ear's hurt......!
    DON'T RIDE A BIKE THEN.....BY AN ELECTRIC SCOOTER...THAT'S UR BEST CHOICE BRO!
    Last edited by brani_ca; 06-04-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: MAD........

Bike
    2007 Repsol CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by brani_ca View Post
    cause 98.2% of the riders out have aftermarket exhaust on.....and the rest 1.8% which is u and another bitchy old timers.....have their stock ones...... And whine about the rest of the bikes around being loud!
    Ps:
    One thing nothing personal,respect your fellow rider..no matter what kind of pipe he has....they don't deserve to be called-idiots ok.........respect!
    Don't be ridiculous. You don't automatically get respect because you happened to buy a bike. Respect is earned and you're not doing a great job.
    Team "Take it to the streets"
    No Gear Never!

road rash Array
    Bike
    of the future...........
    ok,ok i mite be wrong for the respect thin but i was just referring... to his saying.........:
    ""I'm aloud to bitch because some aftermarket pipes hurt my ears." &
    that ......:"Especially the way some idiots use them."......
    Like how I'm supp to use the pipe,......... strap it on my neck or something! And at least i admit I'm wrong in a particular aspect.....not a stubborn ELDER like him!

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    2006 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by XdtesZombie View Post
    So being able to hear my engine over wind noise and ear plugs and sometimes music helps me to ride better.
    Just take out the ear plugs

I've noticed some of the luxury cars are difficult to drive stick cause you cannot hear the engine very well, the interior is so well sound proofed. Thus definitely agreed, some noise is good.

Quote Originally Posted by XdtesZombie View Post
    That being said I doubt my yosh rs3 can is any louder than a stock Harley.
    I know mine is not as loud. I was behind 2 HDs in traffic yesterday and they drowned me out.

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post
    RCMP Press release:

Police Tackling Noisy Vehicles

The onset of summer is not always good news for some Lower Mainland residents, who dread the increase in noisy motorcycles and other vehicles on their neighborhood roads.

The North Vancouver RCMP and Port Mann freeway patrol are inviting motorcycle riders and other vehicle owners to attend the parking lot of the Main street off ramp at the Ironworkers Memorial bridge, on June 5th and 6th from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for free decibel testing of their exhaust systems. This type of testing has never been offered by the police before and will be a unique opportunity for riders and drivers to become more aware of their noise levels. Trained Police officers will determine if the noise levels from the exhaust pipes are illegally loud.

On these days only, drivers will be offered an amnesty (no charges) by the police in North Vancouver. If their vehicle is found to be above the legal decibel limit, the Police will explain how to make the necessary improvements. Only street legal and street safe motorcycles and vehicles will be tested.

- If a motorcycle, car or truck is making more noise than a factory model, it is too loud.
    - If after-market pipes have been installed they likely do not have baffles and are not legal.
    - Most after market products are not approved mufflers.

Extensive enforcement for noisy vehicles will take place during June to October. Drivers charged under Section 7A.01 of the Motor Vehicle Act - Regulations will pay a fine of $109 and receive three points. If the noise is too excessive, vehicles could be towed and license plates seized, requiring the owner to have the vehicle inspected and then re-licensed.

“I have pulled over many motorcycles over the years and have heard all kinds of explanations,” says Constable Peter Kennedy with the North Vancouver RCMP. “None of them were valid, especially when someone says that the noise is for safety reasons and could save their life. Noisy motorcycles do not save lives, they simply irritate other people enjoying a peaceful day. The general public does not enjoy the noise and have made many requests with the local police agencies and the Mayor’s office for serious enforcement.”

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

“A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust system which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.”

“The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, pistondisplacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.”

Was there always three points attached to an excessive noise ticket ?
    And you can bet that anyone dumb enough to take advantage of the 'amnesty test' will end up in a database for the next time they are pulled over.

So,,,, this Main St. parking lot off the bridge, is it the first exit going east towards Deep Cove, or the second exit which loops underneath and then west? I'm going to this Sunday morning after 10:00am.

Steve

Bike
    FS: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 - 24,000 KM
    Oooh good thing I've stopped driving my VR6 Jetta with no cat and after market muffler.

Although I don't think the noise would save my life, I think it does help save pedestrians' lives, since if they can hear you from 2 blocks away, they won't jump out in front of you.

Registered User Array DrFunkyMD's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Ducati 620 Dark Monster
    I was there.
    2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with full Termingnoni exhaust system.
    The limit is 91 dB.
    My idling was measured at 80 and 81 dB.
    They had me rev to 5000 rpm. I was measured at 99 and 100 dB.
    They were using two meters at once.
    I failed but they said they would not have pulled me over because it was not as "attention getting" as the the type of bikes they are looking for. Pretty nice guys too.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    More than one
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFunkyMD View Post
    I failed but they said they would not have pulled me over because it was not as "attention getting" as the the type of bikes they are looking for. Pretty nice guys too.
    Exactly as I expected. They are after the people who install obnoxiously loud pipes. You know who you are.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I was 80 at idle and 87 at 5000. I passed! Stock Kawasaki Concours 14.

I forgot to bring my db meter with me, but they said if I bring it tomorrow they'd calibrate it for me.

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    2006 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by Locksmith View Post
    I was 80 at idle and 87 at 5000. I passed! Stock Kawasaki Concours 14.
    I bet my Yosh pipe would pass at 5K... maybe I'll tag the testing location!